• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Meet the DANCER, a unique arcane controller.

Camelot

Adventurer
Rhythm of the Dance brings up some curious issues. At first, it seems like you could just move normally then switch to get the +2 while your enemies attack, then switch back on your turn to move normally and then back again when your turn is done.

It gets complicated when you think about opportunity attacks. If I move my full speed and provoke an opportunity attack after already moving almost the whole way (more than -2 speed), can I switch to gain the +2 bonus? With a speed of, say, 6, could I move 2, provoke an OA, free action switch to gain defense bonus, free action switch back after the OA, and continue to move 4 more squares?

It seems like it is either pointless to have the speed penalty, and you should go with a static +2 AC and Reflex while in cloth (because if you allow leather and hide on top of that with Dex being important...yeesh), or that you should make the switch a minor action or doable once per round.

I agree that the monk's Full Discipline is absolutely perfect for this class, and I don't see how you could pass up on it. If you don't have the PHB3, here's a brief overview. All at-will and encounter powers have the Full Discipline keyword. They each have two "techniques," an Attack Technique (which is a standard action) and a Movement Technique (which is a move action). You can use only one Full Discipline power per round (unless you spend an action point), and once you do, you can use either the standard action, the move action, or both. Each technique requires the full action to use, so if you use both techniques, you only get one more action, minor, that turn.

I hate to disappoint, but this class seems a bit specific flavorwise. I think it could be done either as a bard build, or surprisinly well as a monk build. It certainly seems very psionic; you have such control over both your mind and your body, just like the monk. Then you could have the option to forgo weapons and attack with monk unarmed strike, which seems very dancer-like, you'd have the Full Disciplines right there, you'd have Unarmored Defense already, as well as other defense boosts. The only things are that you'd use Dex primarily and you'd be a striker, but you could have Cha secondary and make the controller aspects so powerful that it would overshadow or at least equal the striker aspects.

In fact, let me try...

Dancing Feet Monk

Primary Ability: Dexterity
Secondary Ability: Charisma (whereas the other monk builds are Strength and Wisdom)

Flurry of Blows: You gain the dancing feet flurry of blows power.
Mental Grace: You gain a +1 bonus to Reflex. This bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 12st level.

Dancing Feet Flurry of Blows - Monk Feature
At-Will * Psionic
Free Action (Special) - Melee 1
Trigger: You hit with an attack during your turn
Effect: You can shift 1 square.
Target: One creature
- Level 11: One or two creatures
- Level 21: Each enemy adjacent to you
Effect: The target takes damage equal to 2 + your Charisma modifier. If the target wasn't targeted by the triggering attack, you gain a +2 bonus to AC and Reflex against attacks made by the target until the start of your next turn.

Level 1 At-Will Disciplines (which is what all psionic powers are called, but you can change it if you desire)

Swirling Wind - Monk Attack 1
At-Will * Full Discipline, Implement, Psionic
Attack Technique
- Standard Action - Melee touch
- Target: One creature
- Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex
- Hit: 1d10 + Dexterity modifier damage, and you can slide the target 1 square to a square adjacent to you.
- - Level 21: 2d10 + Dexterity modifeir damage.
Movement Technique
- Move Action - Personal
- Effect: You shift 1 square and can pull a creature 1 square into the square you just left.

You get the idea. I'm not sure about the balance, but I just wanted to present to you the idea. Of course, it's your creation, so don't take my suggestion as an encroachment on your design.

Honestly, though, I wouldn't play this class. Like I said, it's too specific, and the monk can already achieve the same flavor while having really fun powers. Keep it up, though!

Rachel

First Post
The last 3 posts have good suggestions, but hinge entirely on PHB III source material I haven't even seen. When I can, I will look at the monk & runepriest.

Specifically, I can address whether this could be a bard or monk build...it could. But I believe there is enough here to make the class stand on it's own. Also, I can address whether it is very "psychic"....it is. It was a matter of choice whether to go Psychic power source or Arcane power source somewhat heavy on "psionic" keyword powers. As you can see, I went with the latter.

Additionally, the class feature powers are just pet striker role attacks I thought would be fun. When they were Encounter powers some people said they were too weak and that they should be At-Wills. Now that they are At-Wills (again), I get a post (circadian) that they should be Encounters b/c they are too powerful. Hmmm.

Variable rythmns certainly would be very cool, and more movement based powers are on the horizon....also, I do want a full move speed penalty but implementing it is proving a challenge. There should be a balance between moving fast and actually dancing (which is usually not done at full speed).

Lastly, this class *is* very flavor specific. Kind of the point. Noone would want to play a new class that didn't represent something new (a retread). Good flavor trumps crazy new mechanics for me any day.

Thanx to everyone who has taken the time to analyze and comment. :)

P.S. Have to step away from the comp for a week or so, so responses may be slow coming...unless certain things work out. Then I'll post as normal. See everyone when I return, take care. :)

Starfox

Hero
Additionally, the class feature powers are just pet striker role attacks I thought would be fun. When they were Encounter powers some people said they were too weak and that they should be At-Wills. Now that they are At-Wills (again), I get a post (circadian) that they should be Encounters b/c they are too powerful. Hmmm.

This is just the way the internet works. And in a way its good - this is YOUR class, you're just getting input on it, not true collaboration.

Variable rythmns certainly would be very cool, and more movement based powers are on the horizon....also, I do want a full move speed penalty but implementing it is proving a challenge. There should be a balance between moving fast and actually dancing (which is usually not done at full speed).

Perhaps a wording that is the opposite of what the warlock has:

Something like: "At the beginning of your turn you gain a +2 bonus to AC. This bonus disappears if you move more than three squares from your starting square."

Also note that there is a feat in PH3 that gives a +2 bonus to AC while in Cloth armor. Almost the same as learning to use leather armor, but with no advancement to further armors and you're still able to use cloth armors (for flavor and magic item choices).

Meatboy

First Post
Specifically, I can address whether this could be a bard or monk build...it could. But I believe there is enough here to make the class stand on it's own.

I agree with this statement. I enjoy having the ability to choose classes which back up my character ideas best. Sometimes one has got to make due but when the mechanics back you up and there is not a lot of reworking on my part that is something I love.

That having been said I probably wouldn't choose this class in particular just because it doesn't really mesh with the kind of characters I enjoy playing.

Starfox

Hero
There are actually many types of dancers you could imagine for 4E.
  • Defender:Actually, a close-in twirling control dancer class might work best as a Defender. As the Fighter shows us, good defenders are all about control. And with defender-like toughness, all that control has one natural place to go to - forcing them to attack YOU.
  • Striker: This is basically what the Monk already is.
  • Leader: The inspirational dancer, most probably a bard build.
  • Controller: The class as written in this thread, a Controller dancer would stand back and either cast magic trough dance or tease opponents. It takes quite special measures to make a controller work in melee, as controllers tend to be so very frail.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
  • Defender:Actually, a close-in twirling control dancer class might work best as a Defender. As the Fighter shows us, good defenders are all about control. And with defender-like toughness, all that control has one natural place to go to - forcing them to attack YOU.
  • Controller: The class as written in this thread, a Controller dancer would stand back and either cast magic trough dance or tease opponents. It takes quite special measures to make a controller work in melee, as controllers tend to be so very frail.

There is a lot of cool in there.. actually I have an organization of Sword Dancers they have some members who are the gifted ones who are basically a swordmage build and the other type which I have been trying to figure out.... i

Rachel

First Post

This seems to confirm that in the least I got the dancer's "role" right...thnx Starfox! :)

Remove ads