• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Melee Weapon Mastery stacking with other feats

kvehmane

First Post
If 8-level fighter has Weapon Focus (longsword), Weapon Specialization (longsword) and takes Melee Weapon Mastery (slashing)as his 8-level feat, his attack bonus for e.g. battleaxe would be +2 as per the feat. His damage bonus would be also +2. But what are the bonuses for longsword-attack +3/damage +4? Or just +2/+2 as with all slashing weapons? And what about Greater Weapon Focus/Specialization-will they stack also with this feat?

Quartz

Hero
According to PHB2, it all stacks.
PHB2 said:
When using any melee weapon that has the damage type you selected, you gain a +2 bonus on attack rolls and a +2 bonus on damage rolls
Note that the bonuses are unnamed and therefore stack.

gamecat

Explorer
Question on my mind is - does it stack with itself? could a Halberdier take it for slashing and piercing and reap double the benefits?

I'd say no.

gamecat

Explorer
Essentially, yes - you take mastery (slashing) and mastery (piercing).

Would a halberd, being a slashing/piercing weapon, apply both of the melee weapon mastery feats?

starwed

First Post
It doesn't seem that it would work with a Halbred. A Halbred deals "Piercing or slashing" damage. And the rules for damage types note that:
When two types are given, the weapon is both types if the entry specifies “and,” or either type (player’s choice at time of attack) if the entry specifies “or.”
The only weapon which is always two types, (at least from the SRD), is the morning star. The gnome hooked hammer looks like it is at a glance, but reading the description indicates that, being a double weapon, one end is bludgeoning and the other piercing.

Now, many natural attacks combine damage types. (A bite attack is all three, for instance.... ) And I think that you can take Weapon Focus (Bite). So that could be an interesting build. ^_^

It is the same sourse, so they would not stack unless the feat says it stacks with itself.
/em Attacks FtDM with Bite of Doom.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads