• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Memorable Characters

theskyfullofdust

First Post
As a companion to the Memorable Moments thread, what characters have you played that have stuck in your mind well after they've died a natural death?

I once played a 2nd Edition Gully Dwarf, Togglet Blibblob, a rather dim-witted, stupid yet loyal companion to the kender I played.

Togglet was useless. His abilities were average at most, poor for the majority. He couldn't hit the side of a barn, let alone an orc, and he could only count to two.

But he was useful. He was often sent to scout ahead (he could hide and sneak fairly well, probably his only talent), but whenever he encountered more than two monster, he always returned with the same answer 'There are two [insert monster]" because that's all he could count.

It was fun playing such a pathetic, yet loveable, character; much more fun than playing an uber-character who can never be killed, knows every spell under the sun, and eats gods fro breakfast.

So, how about the rest of you?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I had a 1Ed/2Ed Fighter named Bear. I had made a deal with the DM- Max physical stats and 6's in mental stats. He was a fierce fighter, but the utter catspaw of the party's rogue, George.

At one point, George stole something he shouldn't have, and the party was being chased by the Watch. As they raced out of the city, George yelled at Bear to "do something and save their butts!"

Bear lagged behind the party and stopped at the top of a narrow bridge they were crossing. He turned to fight, and because of its width, they could only get to him one at a time. The party crested a hill and turned just in time to see him fall.

After some time passed, the wanted posters for George advertised a bounty high enough that the party finally dragged George back (dead), using the reward to give Bear a hero's burial (after recovering him from Potter's Field).

In a playtest for GURPS: Vampire the Masquerade, I ran Major Mosquito- a Brujah so insane most thought him a Malkavian. He was a Private Eye before being "embraced," but the process wrecked his mind. The only way his broken psyche could reconcile his newfound strength, speed and imperviousness with his former life was that he was some kind of comic book superhero with amnesia- and his blood cravings indicated he was some kind of alien. He drank only the blood of criminals (oddly precient of "Dexter"), and then only after slitting their throats and drinking with his "Crime Straw"- no undead offspring from him! Yes...he was somewhat "Tick"-like, but neccisarily darker.

The Green Adam

First Post
I haven't played many characters as a player, GMing for the vast majority of my time in the hobby (30 years and still going strong), yet there are two that stand out as special to me in a personal way...

Redgod Thickstone (1st Edition - Dwarven Fighter/Cleric)
The only D&D character I've ever played who actually rose through the levels from 1/1 to 13/12 (through a wish I believe) without dying, either by accident, attack or his own hand. He even had a complete story...he accompanied one of three Dwarven nobles on a quest to see which of them was the rightful heir to the Dwarven Kingdom only to discover Thickstone himself was descended from the royal bloodline and destined to lead his people. Armed with the Axe of the Dwarven Lords. Married a human woman in a very controversial wedding and ruled the land for many years until passing of old age at some point.

Commander Sh'Hasta Zihl (Star Trek, The Role Playing Game, FASA Edition, later transfered into the Last Unicorn Games ICON system - Andorian First Officer/Chief Helmsman) XO of the top secret Federation Dreadnaught USS Alliance, Commander (originally Lt. Cmdr.) Zihl shares his last name with numerous Star Trek PCs and NPCs I've used over the years, implying that he survived to continue the family line well into the Dominion War era and perhaps beyond. Zihl is memorable for his often dry and cold sense of humor, his sense of duty and honor and a love of his homeworld and people.

AD

Ebon Shar

Explorer
I would have to say that my favorite character in the last decade was Dash Underfoot, a halfling rogue who, while not so much stupid, had such a short attention span that he had trouble completing the simplest of tasks. He was often so "in his own world" that he would allow his donkey to take him where ever he needed to be, often just riding around the city at random. Little did poor Dash know, but his donkey was secretly replaced during the campaign by a shapeshifting spy. The spy became so frustrated with Dash that he began to simply take him where he knew the party needed him to be, rather than wander aimlessly around the city. His frustation led him to abandon his mission uncompleted.

In retrospect, not a very great character concept, and very frustrating for the other players, but I had sooo much fun that I'll always remember it. The DM had a blast as well.

theskyfullofdust

First Post
The Green Adam said:
Commander Sh'Hasta Zihl (Star Trek, The Role Playing Game, FASA Edition, later transfered into the Last Unicorn Games ICON system - Andorian First Officer/Chief Helmsman)

That reminds me of the games me & my friends use to play with FASA's Star Trek. Many fun memories.

Which then reminded me of other games, and while I can't recall much about the characters, I do remember the names of a couple from the old Judge Dredd rpg. I had a Judge called Bubonic Plague, and a Med-Judge called Malaria Virus. I was young. :)

Remove ads