Men, women, insecurity & alcohol [** NEW UPDATE, DEC 2005 **]

fusangite

First Post
BOZ said:
until my mid-20s, i did all the time. then i said, "hey stupid, i think she's trying to tell you something." ;)
Ummm... and did any of these women ever confirm this view? Or was this just your friends trying to get you to bask in a shared delusion of desirability?

EDIT: I'm not specifically impugning your desirability BOZ. Just an observation about how young men talk to eachother.

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
had nothing to do with what any guys said (not generally, at least), and had they told me a girl was interested in me i wouldn't have believed them.

and yes, the girls i had talked to later about it (after removing my head from my ass) confirmed that (at least at the time) i was a far more desirable fellow than i considered myself to be. ;)

glass

(he, him)
Suddenly Everything Was Clear

I went to a birthday party last night, and who should be there but GFB? She was there with another girl (another FB, who is also kinda G, funnily enough), and they came and sat with us for as bit.

The reason she had been feeling undesirable (as described in my original post) was that the guy she had come in to see (one of the barmen) had been ignoring here all night. This I knew, but what I didn't know (or had somehow managed to forget come the morning) was that he had eventually stopped ignoring her and they had got together.

It kinda explains the awkwardness of our subsequent meeting, I suppose. After her previous conversation she knew I fancied her and she didn't want me to get the impression she was still available. Of course, the impression she gave me was more 'bitch' than 'taken', but I don't (now) think that that was what she was shooting for.

So, neither the angel I thought she was at first, nor the devil I had her characterised as subsequently. Just a normal girl, who isn't for me. Next! :)

glass.

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
So when she said, "'When I started here, I was hoping guys would ask me for my number,"

she realy meant "When I started here, I was hoping the bartender would ask me for my number,"

talk about stalkers ;)

ssampier

First Post
glass said:
So, neither the angel I thought she was at first, nor the devil I had her characterised as subsequently. Just a normal girl, who isn't for me. Next! :)

glass.

All's well that ends well. At least you didn't date her and waste time discovering she's not the one.

I have my own awkward tale of dating/women, I'm not sure I should thread-hijack though, but why not:

I was chatting with this young woman over IM. She was a nice girl, she was from the town I was attending college in. She was coming home for the weekend. We planned to attend my university's football homecoming game. Since I lived on campus and car-less, she was to call me when she arrived and we'd go together. It was getting late and no call; I gave her a call on her cell, no answer. I figured no big deal.

She called me that Monday saying that she left by plane to San Diego to visit her boyfriend. This is where I should have learned better, but I didn't. Stupid me, I forgave her and we planned to see a movie the week after as friends.

Needless to say, she didn't show up then either. The odd thing was that she flirting with me on a few ocassions (before I knew she had a boyfriend); wasn't just my wishful thinking either. She'd describe the sexy things she liked to wear to bed if she wanted to, regular cotton PJs if not.

Oh well. Glad I didn't waste too much of my time....

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
ssampier said:
The odd thing was that she flirting with me on a few ocassions (before I knew she had a boyfriend); wasn't just my wishful thinking either. She'd describe the sexy things she liked to wear to bed if she wanted to, regular cotton PJs if not.

There are a lot of women out there who like to do this. It comes from the concept of "harmless flirting". Women like to flirt, men like to score. The two concepts often collide in men not being able to sleep at night. :p

Seriously though, I rarely find flirting to be harmless. Especially if I like the woman and she knows it. Then, it's just a pain in the butt (or, depending on the degree of interest, the heart)! :mad:

One of my friends in a similar situation, but doesn't seem to realize the danger he's in. He went out with this girl once then she pulled an ex-boyfriend out of her hat, and told him that she would prefer to just be his friend.

Ouch. :(

The worst part is that he seems to be going along with this 'friendship' even though he told me he REALLY likes her. Just last night she called him, drunk as a skunk, complaining bitterly about her laptop and how she needs him to fix it for her. However, she refuses to let him come and help her with it that night, as she "doesn't want him to see her wasted".

Now, that could all be Code, but I doubt it. (I don't speak Code, BTW.) She's pulled this stuff before and treats him like one of her "girlfriends". She's called him to vent about her current relationship and the like, in the past. However, I doubt he'll listen to me, and maybe that's for the best. (Me being jaded and all.)

I just worry that he's heading for a hurt. I just have to keep reminding myself I'm his friend, not his mother. :p

Cheers!

KF72

ssampier

First Post
Knightfall1972 said:
There are a lot of women out there who like to do this. It comes from the concept of "harmless flirting". Women like to flirt, men like to score. The two concepts often collide in men not being able to sleep at night. :p

Seriously though, I rarely find flirting to be harmless. Especially if I like the woman and she knows it. Then, it's just a pain in the butt (or, depending on the degree of interest, the heart)! :mad:

You're probably right. I was just hoping to go out with a nice girl. I wasn't really expecting to score but I wanted to be more than friends (otherwise known as score eventually).

One of my friends in a similar situation, but doesn't seem to realize the danger he's in. He went out with this girl once then she pulled an ex-boyfriend out of her hat, and told him that she would prefer to just be his friend.

Poor guy. It seems outsiders tend to have a better view of a situation than the person in it (fog of war-love or something).

Now, that could all be Code, but I doubt it. (I don't speak Code, BTW.) She's pulled this stuff before and treats him like one of her "girlfriends". She's called him to vent about her current relationship and the like, in the past. However, I doubt he'll listen to me, and maybe that's for the best. (Me being jaded and all.)

As for the Code, I don't get it. I don't really get the Rules or any other "mind game". If I like someone, I'm going to tell them without any B.S. I guess that explains why I'm still single.

As for your friend, probably not. :uhoh: He'll have to be played before he learns. Myself, I watched my friends being played and I was thinking I didn't want that. They told me, "When you meet the right girl, you'll think different." If it means acting like a dumb ass, no thanks.

Is that a British or Canadian salutation? Either way I like it!

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
ssampier said:
As for the Code, I don't get it. I don't really get the Rules or any other "mind game". If I like someone, I'm going to tell them without any B.S. I guess that explains why I'm still single.

Me too. I don't like "mind games" and quickly lose interest in any woman who seems to live her "social" life based on them. Of course, its a two-way street. A lot of guys play "The Game" too, but their intentions are sometimes less than honorable.

Strangely enough, those are the guys who seem to win the battles in the night clubs throughout the world. A lot of women go home with that personality type, but, I wonder, how often do those "interactions" actual go anywhere serious?

Myself, I watched my friends being played and I was thinking I didn't want that. They told me, "When you meet the right girl, you'll think different." If it means acting like a dumb ass, no thanks.

Exactly! I'd rather be who I am and be miserable than be a total phony and be led around like a mindless dumb ass.

Is that a British or Canadian salutation? Either way I like it!

Um, I don't know. For me, it's a personal choice, although sometimes I use "Regards" or...

Later,

KF72 ;)

Remove ads