Menzoberranzan is Editionless... Good move?

Edition and Menzoberranzan

• I play 4e, and am interested even though or because the book is edition-free

Votes: 29 21.3%
  • I play 4e, and am not interested because it is edition free

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • I play 4e, and would not have been interested either way

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • I do not play 4e, and am interested because the book is edition-free

Votes: 59 43.4%
  • I do not play 4e, and am not interested either way

Votes: 22 16.2%
  • I am the specialest of Snowflakes.

Votes: 10 7.4%

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Just have to wonder how much of the material is going to be new? I like drow (Jerry Lewis - word backwards) but editionless or not, it is just a city book, it has never taken much to change to another system.

So, if new material, I am interested. If old stuff, not so much.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I voted Play 4E, not interested either way, but that is because of the topic, not the presentation.

I just do not like drow.

But the idea of edition free stuff is an awesome idea and I fully support WOTC doing this in the future.

Count me as uninterested (not disinterested). I don't think WotC writes that good fluff (of my 3e sourcebooks the only one I'd use for its fluff content is Sharn: City of Towers* - the rest are currently being used to raise my computer monitor to the right height). So if I want something without crunch I'm going to buy from someone other than WotC (I have a stack of GURPS source books despite rarely playing GURPS).

This is WotC pitching to their weak area. And that it's Mezzobaranan just adds to my complete lack of interest.

* I consider 4e Eberron better written than 3e Eberron.

Serendipity

Explorer
Let me add my voice to the chorus of disinterest based on the subject matter (drow + forgotten realms = not even remote interest) but the idea of an 'editionless' book is a really good one. So if there was an editionless book about the Savage Coast, or the City of Brass, or the Shadow Marshes, I'd be all over that.

Drow and FR aren't really my cuppa tea by a long shot, but I'm considerably more interested in it as a systemless book than as a 4e book. I think most (if not all) setting material should be either extremely system light or system-free.

My system-free Freeport book is one of my favorite setting books still. Granted, the fact that its systemless isn't necessarily why that's so--it's more because its a setting that I particularly like--but the more system stuff included, the less likely I am to be interested in a setting book.

One of the reasons I quite like the Pathfinder material is that they're still 90% or more useful if you don't play the Pathfinder game, with only a few exceptions.

Voadam

Legend
I've already got the FR timeline book, Three Practical Guide to Xs, Pirate's Guide to Freeport, The World of Kong, The World of Warhammer Illustrated Encyclopedia, Lieber Chaotica Tzeentch, The original Greyhawk Folio, Living Greyhawk Gazaetteer, the two Scarred Lands Gazetteers, The World of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, and the Kalamar Campaign Setting. I'm happy to pick up systemless books that seem interesting.

I'm even happy to pick up books that are in systems I don't intend to use so long as they have enough stuff I am interested in (like the descriptive elements of Warhammer army books).

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
I'm just curious to see how they do it. If you have little or no rules material, then the information presented has to be interesting enough (and not dry enough) to keep me reading the book.

If it's like the old Volo's Guides, it ought to be great. if not...well, maybe it will have pretty pictures. ;)

Remove ads