Merged: Against all odds [Darmanicus] & Adv. Party Needs Killing (Inconsequential-AL)

strongbow

First Post
Nitpick #2 Baleful Polymorph is a Fort Save based spell, and may target only creatures. Since undead are not specifically listed as being affected, and the spell is an effect that requires a Fort Save that does not affect objects, then undead are not affected by Baleful Polymorph. My entire party is undead in the game that I run. I know the "immunity to all effects that require a Fort Save unless it affects objects" very well.

Remember that Wall of Force must have anchor points, so you can't cast it in the middle of the air as some people are suggesting.

If you are nearby water, then you could ready action to use Control Water when the wyverns dive down. A wall of water in their flight path can sink them. Since their maneuverability is so good you would have to ready action to raise the water on top of them. If you buy a decantur of endless water and have some time, you can create your own water source. Just a thought.

Another use for that hound archon is its Aid at will spell-like ability You can heal a lot/gain temporary hit points with multiple casts of Aid.

Last edited:

Majere

First Post
Rope tricks are a nice get out at this point. Have you got one learnt up ?
Might be a way to get the rest you need, especially if you have a deeper darkness you can drop in the room you are reasting in.. Sure they can scry you but what are they going to see ?

Invest in a couple of silnece spells for any casters they might have, if you can silense the mount (shouldnt be too hard with an undead animal) you get the rider for free. Or cast silence on an archers arrow, then shoot the undead with the arrow (takes some pre-agreed ready actions but not too hard and pretty foolproof).

Tiny hut will give your archer some cover from which to fire from if nothing else is to hand.

If that forest really is the nly cover.. it sticks out like a sore thumb, two hallucinory terrains might work wonderfully to move that forrest a little distance away.

Not sure if you have any of these to hand

Hope that helps a bit

Majere

Last edited:

uzagi_akimbo

First Post
strongbow said:
Nitpick #2 Baleful Polymorph is a Fort Save based spell, and may target only creatures. Since undead are not specifically listed as being affected, and the spell is an effect that requires a Fort Save that does not affect objects, then undead are not affected by Baleful Polymorph. My entire party is undead in the game that I run. I know the "immunity to all effects that require a Fort Save unless it affects objects" very well.

Hmm, given the fact that a living target's equipment etc. gets transformed as well if its owner/bearer is affected by "polymorph" or "baleful polymorph" I don't see a specific reason why an ( animated/undead) corpse should not be affected.... Especially as the "polymorph" effect in general is able to transform even dead/inanimate matter into anything else - witness "polymorph any object" etc....

Also, a corporeal undead's immunity to most "fortitude" based effects is founded on it not having any metabolism - e.g. something to be affected by a poison, disease, gas, paralysis, stunning jolts, pain or similar means. I will certainly underwrite the logic of that. BUT - 'polymorph' rearranges the material composition of the target, not its metabolism, it changes equipment (dead matter) not fitting to the new form along with the living matter.

Of course - sticking to the _letter_ and not to the intended purpose of the "no fortitude effect" rule would preclude polymorphing with "baleful polymorph", but not by "polymorph any object" or even simply by "polymorph" (given it it was willing, in the later case ) .......
Oh well, after all I could de-petrify an undead, but not petrify it (unless I petrified it with "polymorph any object", that is ) either...

But it is a greyish area - perhaps check with your GM. Speaking for myself, I would permit it - even if only to the shape of a zombie/undead sparrow/wren etc. if I felt nitpickish... On the other hand, I vastly prefer a creative and fun solution that follows the intent of the rules (which for undead IMHO is that their lack of metabolism simply makes a lot of effects useless ) over sticking to the most restrictive (and possibly paradoxical due to its inconsistency) reading of the rule possible.

Regarding the initial thread - get yourself scrolls of "polymorph any object", then wrack havoc at your leisure, just to be on the safe side.
:] :] :]

Last edited:

Dpulse303

Meat head
I play the mighty wizard in this band of hero's and i would like yo express my thanks for all the excellent suggestions ,I was mightily pleased with the telekenisis effect i tried it on the druid first but he pulled an airwalk out the bag...his buddy was not so lucky! but would ya believe he got up after ,i then a few rounds later decided to dispell the airwalk, (ha) didnt se that coming.keep the ideas coming ,i will post a list of the spells at my disposal at some point, I took the summons vi as my second sixth spell so gonna be conjuring a few elementals next week i also have a balefull polymorph at my disposal.

also we are using the action points, so it means i get to "recal" spells i have cast
makes life ...comfy.
thanks for your help again and keep posting

TimSmith

Inconsequenti-AL said:
I think you've hit the problem on the head... We're getting under time pressures now. Not sure whether we're going to be able to fit in a rest...

Unfortunately we took quite a heavy beating dealing with the first 2 guys. Burned through a lot of magic as well.

Plane Shift is not really a 'rest' option. More of a desparate 'last resort' option. I'll hopefully be OK, being a worshiper of Pelor, as is the Ranger. Hopefully, we wouldn't be thrown out without a hearing. Not sure how welcome the others are likely to be...

However, it's the only place I've got a tuning fork for! (apart from the Prime!)

I think we need to get clever!

Know protections sounds rather interesting - where is from?

So, any updates on what happened last night? (Assuming you played again)

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Ah, meant to get around to updating this earlier!

Last week, we had a nasty run in with Clawron! He seems to be a pretty brutal undead fighter of some sort. Throwing around fireballs and Power words... {Cough, Splutter} - Death Knight - {More coughing} Also more than able to 'tank it' in melee. Huge SR and DR to boot!

We got a vicious beating, although we killed his sorceror and assasin, but could barely dent him...

I got Power Word: Stunned and lost my axe. Most of the others were at deaths door. Clawron had his armour scratched slightly and laughed at us. We ended up teleporting for it! Right back to our home base.

Having expended nearly every spell we had, we urgently needed to rest. Unfortunately, by the time we'd recovered, Clawron had decided to leave the castle. We scried upon his super wyvern (lower will save!) and he's taken his 2 remaining teammates (mage + archer), butchered our allies, stolen the little girl and left...

We can't even work out where he is at the moment. So, we've lost this round (even if we did kill 50% of his party!).

We've decided to lick our wounds and chase up a few leads in our home city. Connected to Clawron, there are worshipers of Orcus, an army of orcs, a guy called 'The Necromancer' - who seems to be in charge and a magic devouring plague...

We've caught rumors of a cult to Orcus in the city... Led by a beholder. We're going to investigate them and see if we can turn up any clues as to what's really going on...

At some point I'd like to story hour this thing. But really need to move house first!

TimSmith

Inconsequenti-AL said:
Ah, meant to get around to updating this earlier!

Last week, we had a nasty run in with Clawron! He seems to be a pretty brutal undead fighter of some sort. Throwing around fireballs and Power words... {Cough, Splutter} - Death Knight - {More coughing} Also more than able to 'tank it' in melee. Huge SR and DR to boot!

We got a vicious beating, although we killed his sorceror and assasin, but could barely dent him...

I got Power Word: Stunned and lost my axe. Most of the others were at deaths door. Clawron had his armour scratched slightly and laughed at us. We ended up teleporting for it! Right back to our home base.

Having expended nearly every spell we had, we urgently needed to rest. Unfortunately, by the time we'd recovered, Clawron had decided to leave the castle. We scried upon his super wyvern (lower will save!) and he's taken his 2 remaining teammates (mage + archer), butchered our allies, stolen the little girl and left...

We can't even work out where he is at the moment. So, we've lost this round (even if we did kill 50% of his party!).

We've decided to lick our wounds and chase up a few leads in our home city. Connected to Clawron, there are worshipers of Orcus, an army of orcs, a guy called 'The Necromancer' - who seems to be in charge and a magic devouring plague...

We've caught rumors of a cult to Orcus in the city... Led by a beholder. We're going to investigate them and see if we can turn up any clues as to what's really going on...

At some point I'd like to story hour this thing. But really need to move house first!

Cool-thanks for the update, especially if you're in the middle of moving house! What's the score with the little girl who got kidnapped? Clawron doesn't sound like a Strahd Von Zarovich type so I presume he doesn't view her as another future concubine...

Story houring it sounds like a winner, now you have got us all hooked on your predicament.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
TimSmith said:
Cool-thanks for the update, especially if you're in the middle of moving house! What's the score with the little girl who got kidnapped? Clawron doesn't sound like a Strahd Von Zarovich type so I presume he doesn't view her as another future concubine...

I really hope that isn't the case. Concubine indeed. Yuck! So it probably is... :)

The girl has been taken by Clawron, we're pretty sure that's off to The Necromancers tower... We managed to find a priest/librarian who had some ideas about her: Apparantly she is 'the embodiment of the concept of pure evil'... she herself may not be evil, but someone could possibly use her towards all sorts of malicious goals.

It's really not a good situation, we spent a good deal of the last session agonising about what to do. Due to her total immunity to magic, we couldn't teleport or plane shift her away. We're not in a state to be fighting Clawron. We're also not nearly ready to assault The Necromaners tower! Don't even know what's in there, how powerful he is, etc.

We really want to rescue her, but need to find out more about what we're up against first. Which is why we decided to chase down the cult of Orcus guys and see what we can find out...

Hope that helps with it!

RigaMortus

Explorer
Does your party have the capability to fly? If so, get some Nets. Either Masterwork or admantine Nets. That should bring the wyverns down. Even if you can't fly, just Ready on their fly-by attacks, then net them as they try and swoop by you.

I used this tactic on a dragon once. And while it easily broke out of the net, it did ground the creature long enough for us to surround it and finish it off.

Remove ads