• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Merged: Against all odds [Darmanicus] & Adv. Party Needs Killing (Inconsequential-AL)

You can try as well Illusion(Figment) Spells, like Major Image, Programmed Image...etc.
Undead are not immune to Illusion(Figment) Spells and some back up might be good as well and some chaos created on the battlefield could prove worthy, to even the odds.

shilsen

Adventurer
Inconsequenti-AL said:
We may be able to buy a scroll in our current town, although that's by no means a certainty. It's well within the GP limit, but funny circumstances in town have made access to higher level magic somewhat difficult. I'll sell my own mother to get hold of one if needed :)

A scroll of SM VII would net you a huge air elemental, which can take whirlwind form for 8 rds, or 1d3 large air elementals, which might be even better. It costs 2275 gp, but depending on the going rate on mothers and how much wear and tear yours has, you might be able to get it cheaper :lol:

Minor point - remind your paladin to save his lay on hands ability. If he can get close to an undead target (with a fly potion, for example), he can do some serious damage with that. As a touch attack that doesn't draw an AoO and allows no save vs. the damage, that should be enough to take an opponent down in one hit (esp. if someone puts an eagle's splendor on him beforehand). Actually now that I mention it, try to get him a holy sword scroll. With that and flying, he'll be doing very serious damage.

Last edited:

Minor point - remind your paladin to save his lay on hands ability. If he can get close to an undead target (with a fly potion, for example), he can do some serious damage with that. As a touch attack that doesn't draw an AoO and allows no save vs. the damage, that should be enough to take an opponent down in one hit (esp. if someone puts an eagle's splendor on him beforehand).

I would allow a Will save against DC 10+1/2paladinlvl+CHA-Mod.
Simply because the Deadly Touch Ability of Evil Paladins described in UA allows one, too. Still would be a good use.

As mentioned before use Limited Wish, you can get Holy Sword, Heal (Adept, NPC class, 5th level spell), Righteous Might, Divine Favor. Limited Wish Scrolls would be even better, but pretty expensive, too.

shilsen

Adventurer
Black Knight Irios said:
I would allow a Will save against DC 10+1/2paladinlvl+CHA-Mod.
Simply because the Deadly Touch Ability of Evil Paladins described in UA allows one, too. Still would be a good use.

Somehow I doubt Inconsequenti-AL is going to suggest Morrus use that house rule. Call it my basic pessimism ;)

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
An update!

We had the first part of this fight last night... It went good!

Managed to split the orcs up with some distraction tactics. Got the fight into a wooded copse - which was the most cover we could get - thought carefully about the compound, but we'd have had an extra few hundred orc archers to deal with, so left it...

Took on two of them - a druid and an order of the bow initiate.

Managed to use a number of things from here. Telekinisis to 'help' them dismount was fun - worked like a charm and has a great range - interesting suprise for the GM as well. Searing light was great value - managed to inflict some very hefty damage on them - Cleric touch attack + no save = The Nasty! Neutralise Poison saw off some potentially nasty as well - Wyvern stingers in particular.

On the downside, our Paladin had some bad luck. Charging 'mega smite' failed to connect. Followed closely by an introduction to 'Close Combat Rapid Shot' with an unholy bow, then a lightning storm/flame strike cocktail... Ouchy! At least there was enough left to selotape back together... :)

Also undead that heal from fire damage are fun! Ate a couple of fireballs before we worked that out!

Next week, we've got some of the other 4 to deal with. Our mage went for Summon VI, so Elemental party time! Wall of force should be making a guest appearance. I took Plane Shift, but I think using it offensively is getting into new and dangerous territory... probably save it for the running away

Anyway, thanks a lot for the help - it's been a lifesaver! I'll be back to let you know how the rest of it went...

shilsen

Adventurer
Inconsequenti-AL said:
An update!

We had the first part of this fight last night... It went good!

Next week, we've got some of the other 4 to deal with. Our mage went for Summon VI, so Elemental party time! Wall of force should be making a guest appearance. I took Plane Shift, but I think using it offensively is getting into new and dangerous territory... probably save it for the running away

Anyway, thanks a lot for the help - it's been a lifesaver! I'll be back to let you know how the rest of it went...

Nice work! Any idea what classes the other four orcs might have? If there is a cleric in the bunch, it would be a good idea for your casters to have some dispel spells prepped. A simple magic circle spell is going to prevent your elemental(s) from getting close, so that'll have to be dealt with. Of course, if there aren't any orcs which can cast that, you're much better off. And if they can and you can't dispel it, make sure to have a couple of large boulders nearby so the elemental can drop it on them :)

Looking forward to hearing more about the fight.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
AFAIK, we've got another archer, a wizard and a rogue. Our research told us the leader (Clawron Shattersoul) is 'Cursed by Orcus' and 'One mans curse is another mans blessing'. (So possibly a Fighter? Blackguard? Death Knight?)... They have 'fire support' from a (living) orcish sorceror.

Point definitely taken about Dispel for the next fight! I wouldn't be suprised if they've got protections from good.... would make sense, and I guess the wizard/sorceror could get them up and running.

We used them to good effect in the last fight - managed to strip down the Druids buffs. Which helped! Still got a good few left.

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
Inconsequenti-AL said:
On the downside, our Paladin had some bad luck. Charging 'mega smite' failed to connect. Followed closely by an introduction to 'Close Combat Rapid Shot' with an unholy bow, then a lightning storm/flame strike cocktail... Ouchy! At least there was enough left to selotape back together... :)

I hit him the following round though, along with the tiger, for 92 points of Kords wrath, hehe,(I wasn't happy that he was STILL sitting on his wyvern though but the ranger soon put paid to that)! :lol:

Nail

First Post
Good job, guys! I looks like yer DM didn't pull any punches.

BTW: Consider a way to keep them from teleporting.....especially that pesky living Sor.

Remove ads