Merged: Against all odds [Darmanicus] & Adv. Party Needs Killing (Inconsequential-AL)

Krafen

First Post
Wind wall blocks gaseous breath weapons.

Heroes' feast grants immunity to poison, among other things, for 12 hours. It is a 6th level spell, so you would most likely need to obtain a scroll or two.

Be careful with plane shifting yourselves to the Positive Material Plane. The fast healing property can kill you very quickly if you are not prepared for it.

I would look at tactics designed to force your opponents to engage you on the ground. Taking the fight to the air is fighting on their terms.

Try scrying your opponents to get an idea of their organization and capabilities. If you can target their leader first in your battle, you may be able to throw them off balance.

Command undead on the mounts could remove a few of them, and their riders, from the battle.

Searing light is great against undead.

Target the mounts first. The mobility they provide is a large part of your problem. Also, if you destroy one while it is in the air, you will most likely damage the rider when it falls to the ground.

With enlarge person, haste, and greater invisibility your archer may be able to take down one of the wyverns before they realized what was happening.

Halt undead could be very effective against the wyverns.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Thanks for the help so far!

Greater Command fall would be hilarious - never considered that for riders of flying creatures. :D I'll have to check if any of the riders are not undead - if that's the case, then it's a definite! It's a pity 'they' pared it down to the limited selection of options - Command: Dismount would have so much more style!

The 'holy light' type spells are a definite - those wyverns are big 'sitter' targets touch AC is dreadful. Disintegrate is rather wildly effective given the low fort save/bad touch AC. However, Mr Wizard has just hit 11th level - only has 2 spells and may want something else. Summon 6 could also be useful - although I think he's not a big fan of summoning.

Sunburst/beam would be great - just don't think we can access them :(

Disrupting weapon could be interesting - not sure if any of them are going to be lower HD than my caster level (9) but it could be worth a go. Pity it's only melee weapons - otherwise it'd go on the archers bow!

Enlarged, invisible archer has been a good friend to us before.

Definitely agree about taking down the wyverns first - their mobility is the real issue. If we can get them to half HP then they don't fly any more, which can be useful.

I'll see if I can't talk a friendly priest into serving us a heroes feast - give them something better to do than sit around preaching! :)

The Wyverns may be harder to take down than the riders, thanks to Mounted Combat. If the Wizard shows up, I would focus fire on him, and then teleport/shift out. Once they have no high level spellcaster, you can attack them at will with almost complete safety. Be careful that you do not get seperated yourselves, especially the Paladin. If he enters melee alone, with no immediate backup, he could die very quickly. If possible, you should attempt to engage them on a terrain beneficial to you, like a heavily forested area, or inside a building, where their flying advantage is cut back.

Just another idea is to put up a lot wall spells, to remove their airborne advantage in the case of open fields. Wall of Force could be pretty nice since it is invicible. Imagine the great wyvern riders descending to attack you and just before you *bonk* they run straight into the wall of force.

shilsen

Adventurer
Inconsequenti-AL said:
The 'holy light' type spells are a definite - those wyverns are big 'sitter' targets touch AC is dreadful. Disintegrate is rather wildly effective given the low fort save/bad touch AC. However, Mr Wizard has just hit 11th level - only has 2 spells and may want something else. Summon 6 could also be useful - although I think he's not a big fan of summoning.

If he does decide to get Summon Monster 6, get a large air elemental, order it to turn into whirlwind form and go after the riders. The wyverns will be too large, but the elemental should be able to grab some of the riders. It can stay in whirlwind form for only 4 rds, but that's long enough to grab a few riders and drop them.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
I agree with Shilsen -- I think a large air elemental could absolutely win this battle for y'all. It'd even be worth investing in a scroll of it if he doesn't want to take it for a known spell. Consider that if the orcs are within 100' of each other, the whirlwind could double-move across them and hit each orc twice; any orc that failed either reflex save would be sucked off the wyvern's back, and could then be dropped on the ground. The elemental could do this for four rounds in a row. It's also immune to poison and have DR 5/-, meaning it'd take some serious effort for the surviving orcs to take it down. If the elemental survives being a whirlwind, its air mastery and feats will make it nasty for a regular fight in the air. And any rounds the enemy uses attacking the elemental are rounds the enemy isn't using attacking the PCs; as a fire-and-forget spell, the casting wizard can be busy filling the sky with other nastiness while the orcs deal with the elemental.

A scroll of Summon Monster VI costs 1,650, I think. I'd consider this well worth it.

Daniel

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Summon VI and an air elemental are sounding pretty darn cool. I'll point it out to the wizard as his 6th level 'freebie' option.

We may be able to buy a scroll in our current town, although that's by no means a certainty. It's well within the GP limit, but funny circumstances in town have made access to higher level magic somewhat difficult. I'll sell my own mother to get hold of one if needed :)

Walls of Force are seeming like a good tactic as well.

We're going to see if we can research them at all... any weaknesses or personality quirks he's got may help!

Now as to where to fight him - I think a canyon of some sort would be ideal... or underground. We need our own dungeon.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Inconsequenti-AL said:
Now as to where to fight him - I think a canyon of some sort would be ideal... or underground. We need our own dungeon.
A forest might be a decent fighting place, inasmuch as it'll give you some concealment from them and make it difficult for them to do flybys on you. However, what if you could lure them out of the compound somehow and then move into the compound proper, forcing them to fight you there? I dunno how good an idea this would be, but they might be loathe to destroy their own compound in order to get at you, and it is a structure designed for defensive purposes.

May be a bad idea -- I just wanted to throw it out there.

Daniel

Remove ads