• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [Merged] D&D Next/5E Release Schedule Threads

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
From the Wizards_DnD twitter account: " [MENTION=24449]FLA[/MENTION]meinc The #dnd starter set is a great entry point at a lower price. We'll also have more info to share for beginners soon."

It sounds like the starter set is only a piece of the puzzle.

Thaumaturge.

Blackbrrd

First Post
I don't have a problem with the price at all. If you figure price-per-use, it's really pennies compared to other forms of entertainment. I've dropped $50 on a single game of golf... not to mention pay-to-play MMO games. I don't agree with comparing it to inflation from previous versions either. Everything goes up. Artist consignment fees, printing costs, marketing... and on and on. It's not JUST inflation. It's our hobby and I don't mind supporting both WotC AND the FLGS that I will be buying it from. I can skip a meal at McDonalds and Taco Bell for a bit.

Everything goes up and 5e goes 50%* more up than 4e. I don't really have a problem with the cost either, but I do find it kind of expensive.

On the other hand, if they publish a lot less splat books and more adventures, I am going to feel like a winner anyway. I hope that's their strategy, and the reason the books are so expensive (compared to earlier editions).

*number thought up on the spot.

Patrick McGill

First Post
Some how I forgot that no one wants to hear that it is too we pensive... Sorry forget I said anything since everyone else has money to burn maybe one of you would like to buy me some of those books ... My birthday is in sept

I believe Cybit mentioned that not because you said it was too expensive, but because you said you were hoping for 40 dollars. I think he was trying to help you out.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
"We'll also have more info to share for beginners soon."
It sounds like the starter set is only a piece of the puzzle.

I don't think anyone thought DDI was going away. I just hope it's less central this time around.

...Isn't it odd, that I would happily pay money for a less pervasive electronic aid, but would refuse on principle to subscribe to a mandatory one.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Trevor Kidd, on twitter, mentioned higher resolution pics of the covers will be available when they do articles on the individual books.

Thaumaturge.

am181d

Adventurer
No need for ALL character options, just the basic classes & races will do. Likewise no need for a huge bestiary or magic item list, just a small selection of low level monsters & treasures is enough.

The important thing is that the set includes material that is RE-playable. Can the same play group use the set to create multiple characters and design many simple adventures? If, at the end of the day, the only thing you can do is play through the provided adventure then it fails the 'not a commercial ' test.

If a group gets 10 hours of enjoyment, and it costs $20, how is that a fail? Compare to going to see 4 movies (5 tickets at $10) and it's a steal.

It's explicitly a *STARTER SET*, not D&D itself, so I don't see any problem with this approach. Where you see "fail" I see "win-win".

Cybit

First Post
Some how I forgot that no one wants to hear that it is too we pensive... Sorry forget I said anything since everyone else has money to burn maybe one of you would like to buy me some of those books ... My birthday is in sept

There was no intent to offend, so I apologize if it came off like that. $50 is pretty expensive; I am not saying that it isn't. I am just pointing out that everyone sort of immediately assumed the price of the books was $50, and didn't wait for Amazon to adjust the price of the books, which they did. I just wanted to make sure that we didn't keep having an argument over something that isn't true; namely the books are not $50. They are $40 a pop.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads