• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [Merged] D&D Next/5E Release Schedule Threads

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
In the ICv2 article, they mention an upcoming comic book that ties into the Tyranny of Dragons storyline.

Thaumaturge.

On an unrelated note: I seem to have a gigantic amount of white space between the end of my posts and my sig. I can't figure out why. Thoughts?

Cybit

First Post
And so the day came when character generation for an rpg was labeled non-essential and the universe wept.

Y'all will be able to make characters in the starter set. :D Not sure as to anything beyond that, or how limited the character creation bit is (might be only pre-gen classes and pre-gen races), but AFAIK the starter set will have character creation.

Wait till they hit the secondary market, then buy the ones you want online. The whole point of randomized packaging is that the chase rares subsidize the commons; so if you can live without the rares, you can get the commons much cheaper, buying a la carte. And if the new minis don't cover everything you need, there is a whole ocean of 3E-era DDM figs still floating around on places like Troll and Toad, though prices have gone up since the glory days.

I never understood why people felt it was important to get their minis fresh out of the booster pack.

I can not afford $4 minis I can not afford $50 books

I have been hopeing and praying for wotc to say $40 or dreamed of $35

:..(

Snapdragyn

Explorer
"Lots of questions about character creation and the starter set - you will definitely be able to make characters when it comes out." (Mearls on Twitter, as quoted elsewhere w/in the thread)

And I'm go for starter set preorder. :)

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I think the price for the PH will drop to 40 on Amazon once the books are actually done; Amazon usually does that w/ books.

Amazon price is already $40, for those of you who are having as much trouble as I did finding the relevant Amazon pages. No images yet, which doesn't help.

Anyone else having problems with the layout of the covers?

My first reaction was negative, but I have to be honest that I prefer my books to look like books -- I really loved the D&D3 cover design. I can't deny that these covers are gorgeous and will sell books.

And, I think the new logo is fine, but only am OK with the "&" being a simple character. Changing that to the rendered silver reflective image is way too busy. The rendered image deserves to be by itself (you could use it as an entire cover by itself).

I like the new logo. It's unusual, but bold. I love that the new books are all branded simply as "D&D" and that at least one of the miniatures products uses only the ampersand as a brand icon.

And so the day came when character generation for an rpg was labeled non-essential and the universe wept.

...Oh, for the love of facepalm.

Y'all will be able to make characters in the starter set. :D Not sure as to anything beyond that, or how limited the character creation bit is (might be only pre-gen classes and pre-gen races), but AFAIK the starter set will have character creation.

No need for ALL character options, just the basic classes & races will do. Likewise no need for a huge bestiary or magic item list, just a small selection of low level monsters & treasures is enough.

The important thing is that the set includes material that is RE-playable. Can the same play group use the set to create multiple characters and design many simple adventures? If, at the end of the day, the only thing you can do is play through the provided adventure then it fails the 'not a commercial ' test.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I can not afford $4 minis I can not afford $50 books

I have been hopeing and praying for wotc to say $40 or dreamed of $35

:..(

Any particular reason you haven't spent the last 4 months that we assumed the books were going to be $50 actually saving up to pay the extra $10 for the Player's Handbook? If you could afford the $40 but not the $50... you'd think you'd be using this time dropping your pocket change into a jar just in case.

Luckily for you... since the DMG doesn't release until November, you can spend the next 6 months gathering together the extra $30 you'd need and buy all 3 books together at $150, rather than your planned hope of buying them all at an affordable $120.

Remove ads