Merged spelling/grammar threads

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Here's an idea: badly spelled or ungrammatical posts could be reported to moderators, who will edit or delete them as appropriate.

Then not only will EN World be a friendly and (relatively) flame free community, it will be a sanctuary of graceful prose.

Who is with me?

EricNoah

Adventurer
KnowTheToe said:
How about effect and affect, do these bother any of you?

Yeah, that's a hard one too! You can't just say "one's a verb and one's a noun" because each actually is both depending on the meaning!

EricNoah

Adventurer
Cheiromancer said:
Here's an idea: badly spelled or ungrammatical posts could be reported to moderators, who will edit or delete them as appropriate.

Then not only will EN World be a friendly and (relatively) flame free community, it will be a sanctuary of graceful prose.

Who is with me?

That's "whom."*

*yeah, I know it's not really, but SHHHH! It'll be a fun trick to play.

Lazybones

Adventurer
There was an op-ed piece in my local Sunday paper recently about the decline of writing in America. As a former community college instructor, I can say that I've seen legions of employment-seeking adults with the functional literacy of a sixth grader. The worst part is that most of them had no idea that they were doing anything wrong.

But I don't get worked up over postings on a message board. Actually, ENWorld's prose is Shakespearean in quality compared to that on some of the CRPG boards I frequent...

KnowTheToe

First Post
Lazybones said:
There was an op-ed piece in my local Sunday paper recently about the decline of writing in America. As a former community college instructor, I can say that I've seen legions of employment-seeking adults with the functional literacy of a sixth grader. The worst part is that most of them had no idea that they were doing anything wrong.

But I don't get worked up over postings on a message board. Actually, ENWorld's prose is Shakespearean in quality compared to that on some of the CRPG boards I frequent...

I know I have never had a single class after the sixth grade that covered sentence structure, diagraming or anything else focusing on grammar. It could be why so many people still write like sixth graders.

Remove ads