Merged spelling/grammar threads

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Lazybones said:
As a former community college instructor, I can say that I've seen legions of employment-seeking adults with the functional literacy of a sixth grader. The worst part is that most of them had no idea that they were doing anything wrong.

I know what you mean. I teach part-time at a Big 10 University. The writing is terrible. Students get really bent when their computer teacher starts marking off for their spelling and grammar. I usually tell them that if I am finding mistakes, they have a real problem, then direct them to the campus writing lab. Besides, as a professional, I can't turn in a report riddled with all kinds of typos and grammatical flaws. I tell them that its good practice to get in the habit now.

edit: grammatical errors......:mad:
edit: and spelling....kinda ironic....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

PowerWordDumb

First Post
KnowTheToe said:

I know I have never had a single class after the sixth grade that covered sentence structure, diagraming or anything else focusing on grammar. It could be why so many people still write like sixth graders.

Granted, but don't people read any more? I probably learned most of my vocabulary and grammatical skills (such as they are) from reading the works of good old JRRT and the like. While I never paid any attention in a school setting, I still have far more developed language skills than most of the people I know.

I'm certainly not perfect, but I don't make at least the most rudimentary mistakes - particularly those which make reading 80% of the forum posts on the internet more torture than fun.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Lazybones said:
...compared to that on some of the CRPG boards I frequent...

Maybe we could trick them by disguising the lessons in a familiar format!

Originally from the Cheaters Guide to Spelling and Grammar
To go really fast hold down the {SHIFT} key and press the letter "f". After releasing the {SHIFT} key, in quick succession press the "a", the "s" and the "t". Hold down the {SHIFT} key again and press the "1" repeatedly...

johnsemlak

First Post
Goobermunch said:
And remember that their is not a gender neutral substitute for his or her.

--G

Uh, my <u>Oxford</u> guide to modern English usage says people can use 'their' as a gender free subsitute in their speech.

So take it up with them.

PowerWordDumb

First Post
Even our very own Piratecat has been known (today!) to make the mistake of substituting are for our.

I guess if he'd written this post it would have opened with "Are very own Piratecat..."

:) Those are very aggravating as well.

KnowTheToe

First Post
PowerWordDumb said:
Even our very own Piratecat has been known (today!) to make the mistake of substituting are for our.

I guess if he'd written this post it would have opened with "Are very own Piratecat..."

:) Those are very aggravating as well.

You noticed that as well. I would never make such an error. He is now banned this Friday night from posting on these boards.

Last edited:

Holy Bovine

First Post
PowerWordDumb said:

Granted, but don't people read any more? I probably learned most of my vocabulary and grammatical skills (such as they are) from reading the works of good old JRRT and the like. While I never paid any attention in a school setting, I still have far more developed language skills than most of the people I know.

I have had the same experience. Reading (lots and lots of reading) taught me more about sentence structure and grammer than any HS or University class ever did. I bought a nifty little book on proper grammer in grade 11 and used it throughout my academic career. It was the rare time that I ever lost marks due to grammer, spelling or punctuation. Of course now my skills have degraded and I find I make many more mistakes than I ever did in school.

I wish I could remember the name of that book (it was one that was updated every few years too) it should be a required text for any HS aged student out there.

Remove ads