Worlds of Design: The Plight of the New RPG—Quality of Writing

Some small publisher/self-published RPG rule sets suffer from poor grammar and syntax. Some RPG creators need someone to edit their writing for quality of communication as well, especially for clarity—rules are no good if the reader cannot understand them.

Some small publisher/self-published RPG rule sets suffer from poor grammar and syntax. Some RPG creators need someone to edit their writing for quality of communication as well, especially for clarity—rules are no good if the reader cannot understand them.

editor.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

Your grammar is a reflection of your image. Good or bad, you have made an impression. And like all impressions, you are in total control.” Jeffrey Gitomer

We Need Editors​

I started writing this after reading 15 pages of a nicely presented hardcover RPG that suffered from woefully substandard language.

If you’re a board gamer, you’ve probably read rules that were incomplete and confusing, if not worse. Can you then play the game? No. Many rules in original D&D were like that, but how to play was passed from one group to another, and you had a GM to decide how it was going to work. I recall our group thinking that hold person did something quite different from what was intended, because that’s how the rules read.

At GenCon some years ago I attended a few panel talks about the need for editing of small-scale RPGs. Freelance editing can be fairly expensive: perhaps one cent a word or a little less, depending. (For comparison, writers of RPG materials, who now usually work for hire rather than for royalties, were only paid two to five cents a word last time I checked, unless very experienced and well-known.)

My thought was “I don’t need detailed editing,” and I’ve been writing all my life, but I also benefit from a wife who likes to find any hint of a glitch in what I’ve written. My book “Game Design: How to Create Video and Tabletop Games, Start to Finish” (2012, McFarland, still in print) required no editing for language from McFarland. And I hope “Worlds of Design” rarely requires editing.

But the reality is that everyone can use an editor. For those new to writing, including RPG writing, their experience is probably more like one of my computer networking students: some were very good but most needed a lot of coaching to improve.

What Are You Trying to Say?​

I’m not talking so much about how well the writing conveys what was intended, I’m talking about the details of grammar and syntax. Though there are certainly RPG creators who need someone to edit their writing for quality of communication, especially for clarity—rules are no good if the reader cannot understand or worse, misunderstands them.

You must write for your audience. You don’t want the kind of jargon-filled, turgid, and sometimes deliberately obfuscatory writing common in academic circles, you need to write clearly and concisely in everyday words (I’ve violated my own advice in this sentence, haven’t I?).

Clear Language​

One mark of quality in an RPG is the skill with which language is used. Not everyone is good with language, and many sometimes use words that don’t fit or simply leave things out, or don’t catch incorrect spelling despite the ubiquity of spellcheckers. Unfortunately, the reader with a lot of experience—it’s a matter of experience more than education—encounters a speed bump every time substandard grammar/syntax is used. Those speed bumps detract greatly from the meaning the writer is trying to convey. At worst, the reader will stop reading because it’s too painful, or because it reflects so badly on the writer that the reader assumes what the writer is saying won’t be worth reading.

How important is it to use perfectly standard language in your RPG rules? If you’re doing a low-budget RPG to sell a few hundred copies, perhaps non-standard won’t bother the readers. But if you’re putting your rules in hardcovers and using graphic enhancements (art etc.), then the standard of your language ought to match the standard of your physical presentation. Otherwise you risk putting off too many people in your target market.

If You Can’t Afford an Editor​

Professional editing is expensive for a small publisher/small print runs. What do people do as an alternative?

If there’s someone in or associated with your group (like my wife) who is able and also willing to check your language for free, that’s very good. If you have several reader-playtesters (as novelists do) they might spot and highlight language problems. If you know other RPG creators, perhaps you can swap your services, you read their rules, they read yours. It’s usually easier to spot problems in something you didn’t write, than in something you wrote.

If you’re submitting your rules to a publisher, good writing is even more important. As well-known author Glen Cook (Black Company, Garrett, etc.) said about fiction writing:

A carpenter needs to know how to use a hammer, level, saw, and so forth. You need to know how to use the tools of writing. Because, no, the editor won't fix it up. S/he will just chunk your thing in the $#!+ heap and go on to somebody who can put together an English sentence with an appropriate sprinkle of punctuation marks.

This can just as easily apply to game writing.

Your Turn: How do you ensure your writing is clear and concise?

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

soviet

Hero
Printing it out helps too, it's easier to start skim reading on a screen than on paper.

I've self-published two books (Other Worlds and Superluminary). On both I spent a lot of time reading and re-reading, and hired a professional (non-RPG) editor. There's one error that I know of in the core book (a duplicate the, if I remember correctly) and there are certainly some equivocations and repetitions of phrase that I would excise now, but overall I'm still happy with them.

I actually find that a lot of indie games, certainly in the Forge era, took editing more seriously than mainstream publishers, and are better books because of it.

MGibster

Legend
People don't use editors because their point of reference is a high-quality medium. They see a published book without any grammatical or spelling errors, and they assume that's how it was first written. They don't see the time and effort that goes into the editing and proofreading process.
It's kind of like watching the Olympics. You might not realize just how insanely talented those athletes are beause you don't have a good frame of reference to judge them against. I heard a comedian say every event in the Olympics should start with a regular dude trying to demonstrate the event.

MGibster

Legend
When it comes to RPGs, usually I don't have a problem understanding the text (usually), what I'm more likely to run into is being able to find the information I need where I expect it to be. For example, Modiphius' Conan sometimes has rules buried in paragraphs of text making them difficult to locate, or, even worse, you might expect to find a rule in the combat section only to find it elsewhere. (Modiphius did improve as they continued to publish more games.) Cyberpunk Red from R. Talsorian Games is laid out in an odd manner with near identical weapons, armor, and equipment tables close to the beginning of the book and later in the book. The information is just different enough on each table that you might need one rather than the other, but good luck remember which one that is when you're flipping through the book.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
One rock I always run aground on is the choice - and it's very often a hard and clear choice - between clarity and brevity.

I almost invariably - and quite intentionally - err on the side of clarity, and then do what I can to break up the resulting wall of text. :)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads