• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Merged WotC setting search winners/losers thread

Irysangel

First Post
Kilmore said:
Whell, glad that's over with. Now I can get on with developing my thing the way I like it.
And though I didn't win, I don't think I'll post my setting just yet. ;)

Hey I feel *exactly* the same way. I'm kinda relieved I didn't win, because I've been tossing and turning my submission (which was my original novel synopsis) because now I see so many different things I'd do with it. It's gotten me all fired up and rarin' to go on my novel again, and my story sounds better than ever. If I would have advanced to the next round I'd have to throw back in a few ideas I've already tossed into the trash, so I'm glad for that.

I mourn the loss of my 120K though! ;) Grats to those that advanced. Thinking about posting my setting, but most likely not. I already know why I didn't win -- other than humans, I didn't use Elves/Dwarves/Gnomes for my demi-humans. Mine were a different breed entirely, and I think that probably would not have gone over so well in the long run.

Oh well! Grats to those that won!! :)

/Irys, very cheerful this morning to found out she lost! Woot!

ashockney

First Post
Congratulations!

Congrats go out to everyone who made a submission, and to those who are working on round 2. Here's our submission:

Myrik Fantasy Setting Proposal

1. Myrik calls heroes to shape the destiny of the world by using the power of the seven sacred elements to challenge the forces of darkness, with the hopes of all the living races dependent upon their success.

2. Those that are worthy of bearing the mantle “hero” have learned that they must share their knowledge, prove their might in battle, and lead others in the face of adversity. Many heroes are champions or zealots whose have been trained and chosen from within the various religious factions of the world. Heroes are also called from the ranks of those trained in the art of war. Finally, and most importantly, are those brave men and women, with diverse backgrounds and talents, that unite to form Exploring Bands to go in search of the knowledge, treasures, and precious resources required to unlock the mysteries of the seven sacred elements.

3. The heroes of Myrik are faced with a very important mission: to find a way to contend with the evil deity Ruun, and his army of darkness. Ever increasing in its number, led by cruel and vicious masters, and capable of marching on the decrepit legs of the undead, Ruun’s army has destroyed or enslaved all in its path. Exploring Bands have already been dispatched from every major city, hamlet, and military outpost among the civilized lands. These bands must survive the well-defended and complicated labyrinths, dungeons, and castles that protect the secrets of the seven sacred elements. This is the living races’ only hope to launch a counter-offensive against the powerful and foreboding army of darkness.

4. Villains and the forces of evil represent oppression, destruction, hatred, and strife. The presence of evil is evidenced by the presence of natural disasters, internal strife, and war between the races. Ruun’s army of darkness has united his most powerful minions to become the greatest danger the world has ever known. His army is formed of rare and powerful undead and beasts that have been infused with the sacred element of darkness, and are now known as Bonecasters, Vampire Lords, Stoneblades, Shadowknights, and Darkwights.

5. Magic is one of the seven sacred elements that form all of creation in the world Myrik. The seven sacred elements are Light, Darkness, Fire, Water, Earth, Air, and Magic. Each of the seven sacred elements influences, and is influenced by, the deities, races, spells, weapons, and unique locations of Myrik. The most magnificent, and well-known example of a unique sacred location is the floating island city Chimerii that is home to the Marikians. Knowledge about the seven elements, how to identify and harness their power, is still widely unknown. There are great opportunities before the heroes of Myrik to unlock the potential that lies within these elements and themselves. As the secrets of the elements are uncovered, through the discovery and use of new spells, weapons, mystic understanding, and sacred locations, the changes that occur as a result will be felt throughout the world. Each of the seven sacred elements of Myrik is exemplified by a deity: Light is personified by the deity Alfannon, the God of Law, Healing, Sun, and Love; Darkness is personified by the deity Ruun, the God of Evil, Darkness, Strife, and the Undead; Air is personified by Omicron, the God of Strength, Battle, and Freedom; Earth is personified by "The Father" Moradin, God of Protection, Safety, and Artifice; Water is personified by Ellyanna, the Goddess of Travel, Fertility and Luck; Fire is personified by Arraliuz, the God of Destruction, Tyranny, and Vengeance; and Magic is personified by Immellin the Goddess of Magic, Knowledge, and Justice.

6. The greatest magic of this world still lies undiscovered for it has just begun its mystical evolution. Myrik is home to new races like the Marikians a race of winged nomadic barbarians, and the Krylin, a race of humans that have been infused with the sacred element of magic, granting them innate magical abilities. There are new spells, weapons, magic items, locations, and creatures, developed through the power of the seven sacred elements that are unique to this fantasy setting. The dynamic nature of the world ensures that more fantastic challenges and creations will be discovered in the future. Myrik challenges its heroes with powerful and dramatic villains, welcomes the exploration and discovery of the forces that will shape the destiny of the world, and provides a noble cause to bring together those who dream of a better tomorrow!

Well, no winnies for me, either.

Oddly, I'm more bummed than I originally thought I'd be, about it. I figured I'd say: "Ah, whatever."

Maybe I'm just feeling the need to validate my writing, lately.

My biggest (and pretty much only) fear is I'll be that guy ... the one absolutely convinced that some day he's "gonna make it" ... and never does.

Damn WotC. They should cater only to me and my momentary passing insecurity of the week!

I would like to see more "professionals" coming on to say they got dropped, as well. Aside from my own personal insecurities, I would like to see alot of amateurs on the list of 11. (My own personal insecurities would like to see the entire list of 11 made up of long-term professionals. So I can go: "Ah, see?" ... but I try to control those urges. =-) )

--ht

seasong

First Post
Well, I didn't make it in. I don't think I'll be posting my setting immediately. I have to think about (a) whether I can get it published elsewhere and (b) whether I want to put in the effort required for that when there isn't a $120K carrot sitting there.

If I turn up a no to both questions, I'll post it here first :).

And, of course, I won't know why it didn't get picked until I see the submissions that had what I lacked :(. A few more months to go before I find out, I guess.

seasong

First Post
11,000 Submissions

Holy Schmoly! I just realized what 11K submissions means. I'm going to be reading this thread for weeks.

Writer@Large

First Post
Sigh ...

Well, since everyone's sharing, here's one I submitted ...

Radikar: The Beastworld

Core Ethos Sentence: Stalwart adventurers face off against powerful beast lords in the aftermath of a great empire’s collapse.

Who Are The Heroes? The heroes of Radikar are members of the societies left behind by the collapse of the once-vast Sulradikan Empire. Facing a world unprotected by Sulradikan occupation, Radikar’s heroes often fight to protect their homes or their societies from the beast lords and other evils that walk the land. The core domain of Sulradikar itself still stands, a bastion of civilization in the post-Empire wilds, and some heroes are Sulradikans who have decided to search for adventure in the “lawless” realms of their once-great state.

What Do They Do? The heroes of Radikar battle beast lords in an attempt to save their way of life. PCs may protect the villagers of a threatened countryside, assist the newly established governments of volitile city-states, or fight against tyrannical rulers looking to take advantage of the Sulradikan’s abandonment. PCs may even travel into the lands still held by the Sulradikan Empire, where political intrigue runs deep and the Empire struggles to regain stability.

Threats, Conflicts, and Villains? Radikar is at the mercy of great beast lords, monsterous warlords who dominate armies of savage beasts and humanoid tribes. These beast lords are engaged in a viscious land grab to claim the cities, fortifications, and resources abandoned by the Sulradikan Empire. Each beast lord is self-serving and single-minded; they are at war with one another and the world at large, and they do not care who or what gets crushed in the conflict. Their actions threaten the last pockets of civilization the Sulradikar left behind, including several cities, states, and terretories struggling to establish themselves in the sudden power vacuum.
In addition, dangerous monsters roam the lands, including dire animals and vicious creatures once kept in check by the Sulradikan army. These wild things make travel dangerous, provide ripe poulations for the beast lords to cull new troops, and threaten the pockets of civilization the Sulradikans left behind.

The Nature of Magic: The basic nature of magic remains unchanged in Radikar, though access to the true Wizard and Cleric classes are limited to adventurers with roots in certain areas--specifically, the centers of Sulradikan civilization . Across the rest of Radikar, druids, sorcerers, and adepts rule the ways of magic.
The beast lords have their own kind magical power. They are possessed of wild magics, hidden since before the time of the Empire and untamed by the civilized Sulradikan mages. The powers of the beast lords can be used in many ways ... ways some heroes may discover through their adventures, and turn to their advantage against their savage enemies.

What’s New? What’s Different? The powerful and dangerous beast lords represent unique beings of strange abilites and even stranger armies. Their drive to conquer Radikar makes them a direct and immediate threat, and their savage battles help create a dynamic landscape ripe for adventure. Their intent to conquer the very lands the heroes call home lets even the most minor swordsman or sorceress directly affect the future of Radikar. The beast lords, while powerful, are not invulnerable; even defeating a single beast lord may strengthen an existing terretory, enable a city to declare itself a state, or weaken another beast lord so that it, too, may be defeated.

Writer@Large

First Post
Heap Thaumaturgist said:
Oddly, I'm more bummed than I originally thought I'd be, about it. I figured I'd say: "Ah, whatever."

I'm feeling that way, too. I think it's a natural reaction to rejection, especially for something so potentially life-altering ... I mean, let's face it, eleven guys and gals just earned a chance at a new career, and three of them are practically guaranteed a spot at the gaming industry table.

That's okay. I've been looking for an excuse to use that Adobe Publishing Suite I bought. Looks like an OGL .pdf pr two is in my near future ...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If someone who entered 30 submissions tries to post them all in this thread, I say we have the mods devise a suitably nasty punishment for them... :D

shouit

Explorer
I think it is awesome that some many put work into this contest. I was wondering if someone could archive them somewhere, easier to get to then on the boards. That would be cool, so homebrewers could go to one place and "borrow" ideas. I don't know if any of the submitters would like that or not. I did not submit anything so really, I should say anything except that it was cool all those that did...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads