• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Meteor Swarm

prodawg

First Post
Under meteor swarm, it says a creature in the straight line path of these spheres is struck by each one and takes 24d6 points of fire damage." Can you aim beyond a target so that a creature is in the straight line path of these spheres?
Also on pg 227 of the PHB, it gives sample meteor swarm paterns. Does it have to be one of the 4, or can it be something else?
Thanks a lot.

Magus_Jerel

First Post
Under meteor swarm, it says a creature in the straight line path of these spheres is struck by each one and takes 24d6 points of fire damage." Can you aim beyond a target so that a creature is in the straight line path of these spheres?

Yes - and this DOES break the s**t out of the spell; as what you hit doesn't get a save from it; and no attack roll is required.

Also on pg 227 of the PHB, it gives sample meteor swarm paterns. Does it have to be one of the 4, or can it be something else?

Yes - it must be one of the four.

PS - My ruling is that if you DO strike something, you set off whatever burst pattern you selected centered on what you struck - but it is ambiguous.

Cloudgatherer

First Post
That makes the spell a tad more powerful eh? All we need to do is line up the enemies like so....

Personally, if I were a high level archwizard, I think I'd choose a maximized chain lightning over a meteor swarm against most humanoid opponents. The only problems come with lit immune creatures, even if they are resistant, a maximized chain is still 120 points of damage at 20th level....

Xeriar

First Post
Enlarged Delayed Blast Fireball - 30d8 at 20th level, averaging 135 HP. Of course, the meteor swarm trick is good rogue remover...

wolff96

First Post
Xeriar said:
Enlarged Delayed Blast Fireball - 30d8 at 20th level, averaging 135 HP. Of course, the meteor swarm trick is good rogue remover...

Empowered Delayed Blast Fireball? If I recall correctly, Enlarged merely changes the blast radius... ;)

Once the epic book is out, though, the master damage dealer will be the various modifications of Horrid Wilting -- mainly because evasion doesn't apply and the spell has a HIGHER damage cap at level 25 than Meteor Swarm (which is something I will never understand.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads