• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Metropolis (Slaves to the City) - Chapter Two

Phoenix

First Post
jkason said:
"Many thanks."

Ru stands straight again, relieved, though as he tells his tale, he remembers there's little to be relieved about.

"I do not know how far it may have spread or what its source is, but in the Kanji, Red Lamp, and Delphi districts, I fear the dead no longer remain so. This was no necromantic power I've seen, either. Three times last night I saw men felled by wounds who rose again, and no matter how much damage those bodies took, they kept coming back. Not undead so much as undying. I've come to seek council from those who know the workings of death best."

The priest began looking disinterested in Ru's tale, but not for very long. As the mentioning of the undying slipped from his lips, the priest looked up and down at him before a realization spread across his face.

"Oh, I wondered if you were he. As soon as you stepped foot into the temple I could sense the magical aura about you, you must be who they are all waiting for, of course!"

Ushering Ru aside, noticably away from the rest of the people in the temple, the priest seems a little in awe for some reason, humbled in Ru's presence.

"My apologies for not recognising you brother, the bishops await you in the Reckoning Chamber upstairs. We began to fear that you would never come, though I personally had no doubts. Would you like anything before you go to see them?"

jkason

First Post
Phoenix said:
The priest began looking disinterested in Ru's tale, but not for very long. As the mentioning of the undying slipped from his lips, the priest looked up and down at him before a realization spread across his face.

"Oh, I wondered if you were he. As soon as you stepped foot into the temple I could sense the magical aura about you, you must be who they are all waiting for, of course!"

Ushering Ru aside, noticably away from the rest of the people in the temple, the priest seems a little in awe for some reason, humbled in Ru's presence.

"My apologies for not recognising you brother, the bishops await you in the Reckoning Chamber upstairs. We began to fear that you would never come, though I personally had no doubts. Would you like anything before you go to see them?"

While tempted by the sudden respect to simply play along, Ru has sense enough to remember how many complications his deceptions have caused in the past. And, really, he had to wonder how wise it would be to go blindly into something called a Reckoning Chamber filled with death bishops.

"Either you're confused, or I am. Possibly a little of both. Maybe ... here, you tell me who you think I am, so we can settle my identity before I head of for ... reckoning."

Phoenix

First Post
jkason said:
While tempted by the sudden respect to simply play along, Ru has sense enough to remember how many complications his deceptions have caused in the past. And, really, he had to wonder how wise it would be to go blindly into something called a Reckoning Chamber filled with death bishops.

"Either you're confused, or I am. Possibly a little of both. Maybe ... here, you tell me who you think I am, so we can settle my identity before I head of for ... reckoning."

[sblock]Death Priest Sense Motive check (DC 21) +17 - Failure[/sblock]

The priest looks at Ru for a moment, hesitant on his next choice of words. "Ah...you are Cardinal Reintarch the Reclaimer, Hidden Master of the Twelve Secrets of Zsath are you not?"

jkason

First Post
Phoenix said:
[sblock]Death Priest Sense Motive check (DC 21) +17 - Failure[/sblock]

The priest looks at Ru for a moment, hesitant on his next choice of words. "Ah...you are Cardinal Reintarch the Reclaimer, Hidden Master of the Twelve Secrets of Zsath are you not?"

The general rule of thumb when mistaken for someone of influence is to smile, nod, and take all the free food, drink, and other pleasures presented you. Of course, the thumb in that case usually wasn't being asked to trek deeper into a temple of death priests and face their higher clergy in something named for a form of righteous punishment. If he was going to have to make a break for it at some point, Ru preferred now--while he was still in sight of the front door--to later--trapped who knew how deeply in the too large for its own good temple. If he'd had the sense to bring along backup, maybe he would have chanced it. As it was ... His stomach twisting, Ru opted for the truth, cringing inside at the thought of so easily passing up influence.

"I'm afraid I've no knowledge of Zsath's secrets," he said, trying to sound both humble and sympathetic to the priest's confusion. "That would be why I'm here, actually, seeking answers."

Please don't let one of the secrets be that knowing about the cardinal means a quick execution... he adds mentally, stretching his fingers in case a swift, stunning blow might be in order.

Phoenix

First Post
jkason said:
"I'm afraid I've no knowledge of Zsath's secrets," he said, trying to sound both humble and sympathetic to the priest's confusion. "That would be why I'm here, actually, seeking answers."

Please don't let one of the secrets be that knowing about the cardinal means a quick execution... he adds mentally, stretching his fingers in case a swift, stunning blow might be in order.

"Oh..." The priest looked a little embarrassed, quickly regaining composure and attempting to seem haughty once more.

"For people seeking the secrets of Zsath, such as yourself, a donation of sorts is required. We must feed the poor after all, mustn't we?"

jkason

First Post
Phoenix said:
"Oh..." The priest looked a little embarrassed, quickly regaining composure and attempting to seem haughty once more.

"For people seeking the secrets of Zsath, such as yourself, a donation of sorts is required. We must feed the poor after all, mustn't we?"

Ru's whole body relaxes. The talk of bribes--however much it's couched in the cloak of humanitarianism--is something he understands. He flashes an easy smile as he reaches into his rucksack and snags one silver noble and a golden crown. He clasps the man's hand, pressing the noble against the palm, but holds the handshake as he displays the crown.

"Of course. For the good of the underprivileged, only a hard-hearted fiend would refuse a donation. A crown for the poor is the least I can do." The silver noble goes unacknowledged aloud, obviously meant as a more ... personal donation not to be spoken of.

Phoenix

First Post
jkason said:
Ru's whole body relaxes. The talk of bribes--however much it's couched in the cloak of humanitarianism--is something he understands. He flashes an easy smile as he reaches into his rucksack and snags one silver noble and a golden crown. He clasps the man's hand, pressing the noble against the palm, but holds the handshake as he displays the crown.

"Of course. For the good of the underprivileged, only a hard-hearted fiend would refuse a donation. A crown for the poor is the least I can do." The silver noble goes unacknowledged aloud, obviously meant as a more ... personal donation not to be spoken of.

The priest stares at the coins in his hand, a disgusted look crossing his face. "Ahem, sir. The secrets of Zsath do not come without much soul searching and charity."

jkason

First Post
Ru's smile falls. His awe at the priests of death is quickly waning, but he still has the restraint not to fall into full enforcer mode. He makes sure to stand straight, losing all hint of humility to pull himself up to his full height as he reaches back into his bag again, pulling out one of Ari's platinum orbs.

He displays this addition with a raised eyebrow, then adds it to the gold and the silver. He clasps all three into the priest's palm, using the "handshake" as an opportunity to squeeze the man's hand viciously in his own even as he smiles again. This smile, however, is of a much colder variety.

"You're right. We learn through our generosity and our searching of self, however painful and agonizing that may sometimes be. My previous donation was clearly weaker and lacked an obvious strength of convictions."

Phoenix

First Post
jkason said:
Ru's smile falls. His awe at the priests of death is quickly waning, but he still has the restraint not to fall into full enforcer mode. He makes sure to stand straight, losing all hint of humility to pull himself up to his full height as he reaches back into his bag again, pulling out one of Ari's platinum orbs.

He displays this addition with a raised eyebrow, then adds it to the gold and the silver. He clasps all three into the priest's palm, using the "handshake" as an opportunity to squeeze the man's hand viciously in his own even as he smiles again. This smile, however, is of a much colder variety.

"You're right. We learn through our generosity and our searching of self, however painful and agonizing that may sometimes be. My previous donation was clearly weaker and lacked an obvious strength of convictions."

Wincing openly, the priest tries several times to pull from Ru's grip before his hand is released. With a look of extreme displeasure on his face he stares at Ru, looks at the coins, and points to a non-descript door on the far wall.

"Go there, the doorman will let you in, simply tell him the word Yynron." With that the priest turns on one foot and storms off, looking for easier people to deal with.

The door itself is wooden with iron bands to reinforce it. On the upper half is a small peep-door that opens upon Ru's knocking. A set of eyes peep out and, at the word Yynron, the door opens to reveal a goblin with a stool on the other side.

"I guess you'd better come with me then laddy."

The goblin leads Ru down a short hall and into a door three down on the right side. The room within holds easily a few hundred books and scrolls as well as work tables, scrolls, ink and vellum sheets.

"You'd better tell me know what yer lookin' for there mate, we aint got all day y'know..."

jkason

First Post
Ru gapes at the amassed knowledge in the room, but quickly recovers at the goblin's prodding.

"I'm looking for a reason why the bodies of men would refuse to die. Not just the usual necro spells to raise them once, but what might cause them, no matter how much damage they take, to simply keep moving. I don't know if it's the right term, but I keep coming back to distinguishing it as not undead, but undying."

Remove ads