• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Metropolis - The Weight of the World (and Found Wanting)

Phoenix

First Post
Komodo said:
I finished my character sheet. Do you want me to put it in the RG, or is there anything else I need to do?

Before you post to RG, I still need the descriptions of the replacement abilities, as I have no idea what they do, before I approve them. Also do your hitpoints (guide is on pg 1 somewhere).

Looking at your equipment, I'd looove to know where you got your armour from, as Metropolis has a distinct lack of dragons... :heh: I'm not saying you can't have it, I just love it... :D

Phoenix

First Post
sans said:
Hi Phoenix,
I too am interested in playing. Here is a quick synopsis on my character. I will submit a more detailed one later tonight (Los Angeles time). However, please let me know if you don't have any room left or if I have to chance of qualifying. :)

Also, what are the show/hide tags so I don’t clutter the thread?

Odis’ personal background and character sheet to follow…

Thanks,
sans

sblock does the trick for cutting posts!

As a tip, there is no governement in Metropolis (read Post #1). In the last game of Metropolis <which was finished successfully, on these boards> *rib rib* planar connections were not brought up, and this is the first any have mentioned of it.

Nobody Planeshifts, because nobody leaves Metropolis, ever. The creatures that are summoned from elsewhere give little in the way of information about outside the city, and very few people in the city are powerful enough to cast 5th level spells and higher.

Fenris

Adventurer
Phoenix said:
In the last game of Metropolis <which was finished successfully, on these boards> *rib rib* planar connections were not brought up, and this is the first any have mentioned of it.

Well that's only because we had a stellar GM! :D

Phoenix said:
As a tip, there is no governement in Metropolis (read Post #1).

I would clarify (and Phoenix will correct me if I am wrong) but there is no over-arching goverment to Metropolis. Government is very local at best. Who ever can control a section of a suburb, through whatever means (money, power, force, threats, cannibalism) does so.

Often it comes down to who governs a particular block, a building or even a single floor of a building! So there are governments to some extent, but I doubt anyone can claim to govern more than a few blocks at most.

Metropolis requires a different mind set to grok. But once you do, man is it addicting. :]

Last edited:

Kafkonia

First Post
Phoenix said:
Sounds interesting, I'd like to hear more...

[SBLOCK]
K's father worked in the insurance business, and his grandfather before that. It's possible at some point the family was related to the Konietzkos who own the company, but if they were it doesn't matter any more.

For some people, "insurance" is synonymous with "protection". Certainly, there are some unscrupulous businessmen who use unsavoury methods to secure and keep their customers. But K isn't one of them. Indeed, K has no idea that such people even exist; he knows only what he learns from the reports he handles every day.

He only recently moved out of his parents' house, and still keeps in touch with them by writing letters every day. He has a love-hate relationship with both his father, who (K believes) thinks he will always be a disappointment, and his mother, whom he both resents for being dominated by his father and adores for serving as a buffer between them.

The task he has been given is written on a note in an envelope sealed with wax and imprinted with the Commissioner's seal. He has been given strict instructions that the envelope is not to be opened until he has reached his destination, at which time it can be witnessed by a representative of the client in question. The repercussions for failling to follow these instructions have not been detailed; it is inconceivable that he should fail.

In game terms, K will have fairly level stats, slightly higher in mental scores than physical (think 12s and 14s.) Skill points will go to Profession and Knowledge skills, Gather Information, and the like. I see him as something of a non-roguish rogue. Probably Lawful Neutral, since his life is regimented and he's never been in a position to choose between good or evil.[/SBLOCK]

Komodo

First Post
Phoenix said:
Before you post to RG, I still need the descriptions of the replacement abilities, as I have no idea what they do, before I approve them. Also do your hitpoints (guide is on pg 1 somewhere).

Looking at your equipment, I'd looove to know where you got your armour from, as Metropolis has a distinct lack of dragons... :heh: I'm not saying you can't have it, I just love it... :D

I sent you an e-mail detailing the abilities. I hope to Gygax that it got to you, because it was a ton of stuff to type up and I don't want to do it again. Check whatever account is hooked up to your EN World profile.

As for the dragonhide...hmm...can we say that Corbin located it while digging, as some artifact and remnant of the old world?

Phoenix

First Post
Fenris said:
Well that's only because we had a stellar GM! :D

I would clarify (and Phoenix will correct me if I am wrong) but there is no over-arching goverment to Metropolis. Government is very local at best. Who ever can control a section of a suburb, through whatever means (money, power, force, threats, cannibalism) does so.

Often it comes down to who governs a particular block, a building or even a single floor of a building! So there are governments to some extent, but I doubt anyone can claim to govern more than a few blocks at most.

Metropolis requires a different mind set to grok. But once you do, man is it addicting. :]

I shall not correct you, not a little but...

...except....grok? Grok? :uhoh:

Ummm...grok? :\

EDIT:

Ohhh.....Grok....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok

Last edited:

Phoenix

First Post
Kafkonia said:
[SBLOCK]
K's father worked in the insurance business, and his grandfather before that. It's possible at some point the family was related to the Konietzkos who own the company, but if they were it doesn't matter any more.

For some people, "insurance" is synonymous with "protection". Certainly, there are some unscrupulous businessmen who use unsavoury methods to secure and keep their customers. But K isn't one of them. Indeed, K has no idea that such people even exist; he knows only what he learns from the reports he handles every day.

He only recently moved out of his parents' house, and still keeps in touch with them by writing letters every day. He has a love-hate relationship with both his father, who (K believes) thinks he will always be a disappointment, and his mother, whom he both resents for being dominated by his father and adores for serving as a buffer between them.

The task he has been given is written on a note in an envelope sealed with wax and imprinted with the Commissioner's seal. He has been given strict instructions that the envelope is not to be opened until he has reached his destination, at which time it can be witnessed by a representative of the client in question. The repercussions for failling to follow these instructions have not been detailed; it is inconceivable that he should fail.

In game terms, K will have fairly level stats, slightly higher in mental scores than physical (think 12s and 14s.) Skill points will go to Profession and Knowledge skills, Gather Information, and the like. I see him as something of a non-roguish rogue. Probably Lawful Neutral, since his life is regimented and he's never been in a position to choose between good or evil.[/SBLOCK]

I do like this, but I would like to see it fleshed out in a character background that would allow me to build on it a little more, a little more detail would be nice.

Phoenix

First Post
Komodo said:
I sent you an e-mail detailing the abilities. I hope to Gygax that it got to you, because it was a ton of stuff to type up and I don't want to do it again. Check whatever account is hooked up to your EN World profile.

As for the dragonhide...hmm...can we say that Corbin located it while digging, as some artifact and remnant of the old world?

The dragonhide is sweet, and no, the email didn't arrive...I check my junk mail too, and nothing...sorry... :eek:

Bront

The man with the probe
FYI, anyone worried about background length does NOT need to follow my example (I just like to write). However, you're welcome to look at it and even get ideas from it. Just keep in mind you don't know it ;)

Also, several of the things I touched on were from the first game.

A few I can remember:
There is at least one small comunity of sewer farmers, likely several throught the sewer. There are also legends of a rather large dire rat patrolling the sewers and protecting the farmers.

The Apartments is a HUGE complex of rooms, places to live, offices, places of business, etc. Large enough to have it's own underworld (several in fact), and at least one minor government.

I'm not sure if they are still around, but there is at least one religion that uses the undead to farm, which solves the problem of what to do with the dead. However, since people actualy started dying and staying dead again, this may have subsided.

There are several newspapers in circulation in the city, depending on where you are.

There is a canal system on the surface over parts of the city.

There are Numerous underworld organizations, as well as numerous noble houses (or those who call themselves nobles at least).

One result from the first game:
The Church of the Heart
A church celebrating the sacrifice of a brave soul long ago, who gave his heart to the city. It is said his lifeblood pumps through the sewers, and his spirit wanders them and watches over the people.
The church strives to do good by the city, tending to those it can, offering it's services to the needy, and runs many orphanages.
Allignment: NG
Domains: Healing, Good, Protection, Animal, Plant, Air, Earth, Travel (Yeah, it's a lot, deal with it)
Favored Weapon: Spears(Short and Normal)

There's another church of the God of Death, but you'd have to ask Fernis to write it up.

Bront

The man with the probe
Fenris, if Pheonix allows it, you may want to try out my Noble class. It's actualy finished, and I've playtested it successfully several times now. Kitrina is one (She is using an earlier verson, so technicaly she's no longer legal, but nothing major, the bonus feat access got changed so it's no longer every other level).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads