• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Metropolis - The Weight of the World (and Found Wanting)

Tonks

First Post
Phoenix said:
The sewers seemed a different place, Azot's eyes saw the same things but his mind reeled at the recent events. His disassociated himself from the conversations in the village, telling them only what they needed to know. The village was small, only a dozen families huddled in a collection of massive storm water drains that no longer supplied more than a trickle of water to the sewers, now filled with huts made from debris collected from the sewers.

Azot knew of ways to the surface, there were hundreds of them all around his territory, it only came down now to his decision of which one to take...

Passing by many of the initial choices, Azot wanted to arrive in the above world in one of the many districts ruled by the race of man. While Sebek had not identified them as the cause of the problem, Azot knew that mankind would always be mankind. The few exceptions to this rule gave Azot limited hope, but it was not hope Azot wanted at the moment.

He wanted vengence.

When he reached the one he wished, Azot gripped the rust covered rungs and began climbing towards the world above. The worked metal felt foreign and unnatural to him, but he ignored the desire to rush towards the opening above him.

I am not some rat which scurries when the mood strikes him...

Phoenix

First Post
Fenris said:
Alexi swore again.

If this wasn't a sign from Metropolis herself what was. But still to have a vision, of a stag, then to find this inn. Both bearing his family symbol. The signs were obvious, Fate was leading him here.

He looks about for a stable hand, not finding one he ties up Mikla to a post, removes a bottle of Burgi and tells Mikla,

"Bite anyone who comes near" and pats her on the flanks. He remembers with a chuckle the last poor fool who tried to rifle through his bags. I think they call him lefty now.

The door opened up into a small inn, little more than a tap room (doubling as the common sleeping area at night) and a door into the kitchen out back. A small bartender looks up only briefly at Alexi before dipping a tin mug into a barrel and leaving it on the bar, sliding it across towards him.

Around a small table in the centre of the room sat three men encased in metal armour, similar to Alexi. The closest, in full helm, turned to Alexi and chortled a little.

"And that'd make you The Stag I guess, fine, whatever works for you boy, you've been keeping us waiting long enough, though you mightn't want the money after all."

The speaker's shield rested near his feet, a large reptillian creature with great wings emblazoned upon it. Next to the others were heraldric symbols of a what seemed to be a mighty boar and a large, fat...fish was it?

Fenris

Adventurer
Phoenix said:
The door opened up into a small inn, little more than a tap room (doubling as the common sleeping area at night) and a door into the kitchen out back. A small bartender looks up only briefly at Alexi before dipping a tin mug into a barrel and leaving it on the bar, sliding it across towards him.

Around a small table in the centre of the room sat three men encased in metal armour, similar to Alexi. The closest, in full helm, turned to Alexi and chortled a little.

"And that'd make you The Stag I guess, fine, whatever works for you boy, you've been keeping us waiting long enough, though you mightn't want the money after all."

The speaker's shield rested near his feet, a large reptillian creature with great wings emblazoned upon it. Next to the others were heraldric symbols of a what seemed to be a mighty boar and a large, fat...fish was it?

Alexi grabs the mug of assuredly vile brew as he heads over to the table.

"Aye, I suppose that it does make me The Stag. My deepest regrets in keeping you waiting good sirs, but it seems my invitation was delayed." says Alexi as he takes the last seat at the table. "Money may or may not be wanted, but I must ask my friends what brings you, and of course me, to this quaint establishment tonight? And how is it that you knew I was to be the fourth when I did not know my presence was requested or required?" he adds.

"Might I suggest we start with introductions, whether we use names or heraldry matters not to me, so long as I may address my new companions properly."

GlassEye

Adventurer
Phoenix said:
The one thing about the Labyrinth, there was no shortage of places to drink or eat, allowing Ymris to cautiously escape the streets by stepping into the Gralis Eatery. Benchs were filled with dozens of people eating the questionable meat and salads that the city had to offer, several women passed large tankards across tables and a thick cloud of smoke hung in the air.

It is with no small amount of relief that Ymris closes the door to the Gralis Eatery behind her. Just your nerves. Calm yourself; have a meal. Things'll look different with a full belly. Taking a brief moment she eyes the crowd then wends her way through it to an open seat. Catching the eye of a serving woman Ymris says, "I'll take a plate of whatever you're serving and a tankard." As she sits she'll casually examine the people seated at the table around her.

Bront

The man with the probe
Phoenix said:
[sblock]Intimidate check (DC 19) +22 - Success
There are as many copper, lead and tin coins there to support several minor encounters as well as support your de facto kobold family ;) [/sblock]

Ham's eyes open lazily, staring wearily at Jasmine's angry face. His fat mouth opened a little, jiggling his fourth chin, and Jasmine slapped him across it, just to keep him in line.

"B*itch...he was askin' questions 'round here, someone musta nailed him..."

Jasmine's hand was going to be sore by the end of this, but not as sore as Ham's face. Putting her shoulder into it, Jasmine began the long task of turning the man's face yellow and purple.

"He was part of the Black Guild..." Ham blubbered through swollen lips, "...he came in here throwin' his weight around, tellin' us that we gotta pay him insurance again. The Black Guild was back, Devries was makin' his presence known or sumthin'...so we shived and ditched him..."
Jasmine only slaped him harder with that answer. "Liar! Devries is dead, I saw him die. You expect me to believe that?"

She pulls back, as if a suddent change of heart. "You know, I hear Eunich's are in high demand these days. You could probably do well as one. Better than here at least." She pulls out a dagger and twirls it in her fingers.

[sblock=OOC]Intimidate again if needed, Bluff, and Sense Motive to see if he's telling the truth.

Tin and Lead? Woho! I'm rich! Kobold Heights, here I come![/sblock]

Komodo

First Post
Phoenix said:
[sblock=OOC]My mistake, people'd have a hard time finding Germany anyway :eek:
BTW how many times can you shapeshift? There is nothing on your sheet, I'll let it slide for dramatic effect this time though.[/sblock]

Crossbow bolts flew across into the creature's hide, but the shark was engrossed with the wolf that was attempting to bite its face off. With a powerful surge the shark flew through the air, and for a moment Corbin could see that it's form was only partly-fish, for it's hide was petrified somehow, and dark black veins ran through its body that could easily be seen through the skin.

There was a horrible pain in Corbin's side, blood spatters across the ground and mattered his fur...his legs weakened, and the world danced in his vision for a moment...

[sblock=OOC] ;) No problem.

I can shapeshift as often as needed, and even directly from one form to another. In exchange for this improved combat ability, I lose my animal companion and the slightly increased utility of wild shape.

Also, I never got around to calculating Corbin's HP. I don't think I saw anywhere the process we were using to generate them. Let me know before I unknowingly get myself killed! :confused:

Also, even though my brain's telling me not to point this out, my AC in predator form's only 18. My armor becomes non-functional, but I gain a +4 natural armor bonus, so it evens out to the original number.[/sblock]
Corbin yelped in pain as the beast tore a chunk out of his furred flesh. "Gotta watch out for those teeth," he thought to himself, even as his legs threatened to give out and blood poured from of his side. "Ignore the pain, focus on the kill. Everything will be fine." He lunged for the monster again, canine jaws agape.

[sblock=Combat]Bite attack at +6 for 1d6+3. Do I get an AoO for the creature jumping away?[/sblock]

Phoenix

First Post
Tonks said:
When he reached the one he wished, Azot gripped the rust covered rungs and began climbing towards the world above. The worked metal felt foreign and unnatural to him, but he ignored the desire to rush towards the opening above him.

I am not some rat which scurries when the mood strikes him...

Foul water poured through the grating and across Azot's face has his filthy, thick fingers grasped the grate above him and threw it open. Through the portal he saw the dark clouds that rumbled with anger, langing above Metropolis like an angered god, pouring foul water into the streets. Even Azot's dull sense of smell could tell there was something wrong with the trickling streams of yellow rain that ran through the streets and into his drains.

His head broke free from the earth and looked into the streets, rain splashing off broken cobblestones, timber buildings creaking in the freezing wind. Dozens of people huddled against each other in fear, fear of their own lives.

The dwarf stomped into the streets, covered in the filth of thousands, reeking of things indescribable to the people that stared at him, many would not even recognise him as a dwarf no doubt.

There was a smell that desperately tried to cut through the cold night's putrid air, something that Azot had not smelt for some hours. Food, hot food...

Phoenix

First Post
Fenris said:
Alexi grabs the mug of assuredly vile brew as he heads over to the table.

"Aye, I suppose that it does make me The Stag. My deepest regrets in keeping you waiting good sirs, but it seems my invitation was delayed." says Alexi as he takes the last seat at the table. "Money may or may not be wanted, but I must ask my friends what brings you, and of course me, to this quaint establishment tonight? And how is it that you knew I was to be the fourth when I did not know my presence was requested or required?" he adds.

"Might I suggest we start with introductions, whether we use names or heraldry matters not to me, so long as I may address my new companions properly."

The men stared at Alexi for a moment, a pregnant pause hanging in the air. They looked at each other for a moment before one spoke, his eyes squinting behind his full helm:

"Perhaps it is a good idea to continue with the Heraldric ruse for now, if the Stag wants to play this game with us. I have never seen him before, and I know the rest of you only by tale. I am the Whale."

The Dragon leaned forward once more, "Fine then. The same thing brings each of us here, and I'm sure that we have our different reasons to play these games, so while it suits me I will agree with the Stag's...hesitance."

The Boar took a great swig of ale, most of it spattering against his armour and helm, "Fine with me."

The Dragon spoke once more, "Now that we are here we can continue. Ham has deposited a substantial amount of coin at Artebly's for us, should we prove up to his proposal. It is a long journey from here to the Outskirts, and an extremely dangerous one, hense our help. It seems that there is an operation occuring at a place called The Crypt, an old wizard's tower or something, that he want's broken up. Supposedly they could be a cable of mages doing this, so let's get it right..."

"Suggestions?"

Phoenix

First Post
GlassEye said:
It is with no small amount of relief that Ymris closes the door to the Gralis Eatery behind her. Just your nerves. Calm yourself; have a meal. Things'll look different with a full belly. Taking a brief moment she eyes the crowd then wends her way through it to an open seat. Catching the eye of a serving woman Ymris says, "I'll take a plate of whatever you're serving and a tankard." As she sits she'll casually examine the people seated at the table around her.

The woman stared at Ymris for a moment, something in her eyes betrayed her. Smiling, she waited to see the copper coins clatter across the wood before the plate of old meat and, liquid, was put in their place. It was obvious to see that these people were a little concerned.

Through the kitchen door Ymris could see the serving woman pointing at the men out back who were holding a large scroll in their hands. In her periferal vision, she spotted another group in the back of the room doing the same, comparing her...

Phoenix

First Post
Bront said:
Jasmine only slaped him harder with that answer. "Liar! Devries is dead, I saw him die. You expect me to believe that?"

She pulls back, as if a suddent change of heart. "You know, I hear Eunich's are in high demand these days. You could probably do well as one. Better than here at least." She pulls out a dagger and twirls it in her fingers.

[sblock=OOC]Intimidate again if needed, Bluff, and Sense Motive to see if he's telling the truth.

Tin and Lead? Woho! I'm rich! Kobold Heights, here I come![/sblock]

[sblock]Sense Motive (DC hidden) +16 - Success?[/sblock]

The blade danced dangerously close to the fat man, his face whitening in terror. "I swear to the gods woman, that's what he said! I don' know nuthin' else! He didn' last long enough to esplane nuthin'"

Jasmine could tell that he believed what he said, whether it was the truth though...

Remove ads