• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Metropolis - The Weight of the World (and Found Wanting)

Tonks

First Post
Azot, Dwarven Sewer Druid

Amazed at the difference between the man’s articulate words and his nearly wooden actions, Azot committed the location to memory and the path he would take to arrive there. Reaching out and grasping the steaming sandwich, Azot paused for a moment and wondered if he should give the man some coins for his assistance, or if he would even be able to keep them should the gnome discover he had them.

“May the blessings of Sebek be with you for the assistance you have given this night.”

Turning away and biting into the hard bun, Azot ignored the heat of the meat as he quickly consumed the meal. If Sebek did not guide him to another meal as quickly as he had this one, Azot could not deny that he found it fitting that his last meal was that of a child of Sebek.

Keeping his eyes moving for the street markers which guided those who had lost their way, some purposely designed to ensure that those who followed them would never find their destination, Azot saw the symbol for the Ivory Markets and headed towards them.

Komodo

First Post
Phoenix said:
Blood flowed freely from Corbin's side but still he lept towards the land shark. The creature down into the earth once more, it's large flipper spraying dirt and rocks into Corbin's face and swimming deep into the ground. After a moment, all was still.

Turning slowly, his side in a great deal of pain and his leg a little limp, Corbin came face to face with the soldiers once more, each with their crossbow trained on him nervously, almost expecting the wolf to leap at them.

The wolf limped up to the soldiers, and Corbin returned to his natural state. He let out a tiny yelp as his wounds were stretched and tugged, and the pain flared anew. Clenching his teeth, the halfling again focused on drawing up healing from the city. A soft green glow surrounded the bleeding wounds and the torn flesh began to stitch itself closed. A look of calm and relief passed over Corbin's face as he felt the comforting influence of the wild. "I think..." he began with a small amount of effort, "I think we scared it off."

[sblock=OOC]Casting cure moderate wounds on myself.[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Phoenix said:
Her meal was waiting for her when she returned, mostly. Wandering fingers had stripped several choice cuts from the plate, but by the look of the people in the room it could've been anyone. The meal was easier to eat now at least, and within minutes Ymris was being soaked like the hundreds of others in the streets.

Her eyes squinted as a waft of smoke from a group of men stung her eyes, they were smoking some weed or another, something to deaden the pain. Across the road there was a yeowling as Thom dropped a dead rat into a puddle at his feet, looking proud of himself even though this wet fur was covered in mud.

A handful of men looked on from an alleyway at the rat, licking their lips, but Thom picked it up again and bolted across the street, smooging against Ymris' leg and giving her clothing a, unique, smell.

The storm rumbled overhead once more, though few people paid attention to it anymore. Most of them wandered through the streets desperately seeking shelter, fresh water, and food, little else mattered to them.

What mattered to Ymris though, was entirely different...

Ymris stands in the rain just outside the Gralis Eatery. Hood down, her hair quickly becomes plastered to her head. Her eyes take in the activities of the street but a thousand thoughts flit through her mind. What am I doing here? If the goal of living outside of Three Stone Green is to instill an appreciation for our suburb, then I've learned that. She looks around in distaste at the squalor and suffering of the Labyrinth in particular and Metropolis in general. But I can't go back yet. Not after barely more than a day.

She coughs as she inhales a wisp of punguent smoke but is quickly distracted by Thom's yowl and the presentation of the rat. She feels a moment of unease as the men stare greedily. But for the rat? Or the cat? So much need. She shakes her head in dismay. Despite the smell of cat and city Thom rubs upon her leg Ymris lets the preternatural cat feel her pleasure at his presence. "Guard your kill, Ragged Thom," Ymris murmurs quietly to the cat. "And watch your back. And mine, too."

A particularly loud rumble of thunder fades away leaving the city, for the barest of instants, still and quiet and giving Ymris the sense that the city was waiting for something. As sound and noise again intrude, to Ymris they seem disjointed, askew from reality. An echo of a dream. She stares up at the stormy sky with a growing sense of disquiet. Or an announcement of events to come.

Thom's tail lashes against her leg as if in disagreement with her thoughts and Ymris peers down at him. He gazes up at her with feline indifference to human drama then turns his attention back to the rat. "You are right, my friend," she says in a low voice. "There is more than one way to read the stones. But where to begin?" She watches Thom a moment longer before turning her gaze to what she can see of the skyline. Lylandra Spire has at least 134 floors. Maybe I'll be able to see it from here.

Grasping her rain-slick staff and hoping she's heading in the right direction, Ymris begins walking.

Phoenix

First Post
Scotley said:
Jazick nods at those he recognizes, clasping a hand or shoulder here and there as he moves through the old church. Also trying to lighten the mood, Jazick says, "I thought priests were supposed to provide comforting words." Despite the limited answers at least he knows he isn't crazy and the fear he felt earlier has past. He looks longingly at the water, but asks for no more knowing that others need it. "I appreciate the warning, but if people are being called from their beds against their will for dark magical purposes, I can't help but feel the need to act. Are the jackals and the eating of bloody meat associated with the practice of Zsath's religion?" He looks at the former church. "Do you think their is any lore left in this place--paintings or carvings even books or scrolls that might shed some light on what the God or those interested in his return might be after?"

Father Lunley shook his head, "Most of the books here were looted or burned years ago. But my knowledge of Zsath's religion showed no cannabalistic tendencies, nor any anamalistic worshipping."

"There was once a massive cathedral dedicated to the worship of Zsath, it is said that it was the centre of the religion before the fall of their faith. Here it is said that the Obsidean Sceptre of Thrall was protected by the most powerful priests and priestesses of the religion, deep within the vaults of knowledge that held the secrets of life and death."

"It's a fair distance from here, though I've heard that a few families in the area used to trade in that area of the city. If you want to head out that way, try talking to a few of the older families around here, they may know the way."

Phoenix

First Post
Tonks said:
Amazed at the difference between the man’s articulate words and his nearly wooden actions, Azot committed the location to memory and the path he would take to arrive there. Reaching out and grasping the steaming sandwich, Azot paused for a moment and wondered if he should give the man some coins for his assistance, or if he would even be able to keep them should the gnome discover he had them.

“May the blessings of Sebek be with you for the assistance you have given this night.”

Turning away and biting into the hard bun, Azot ignored the heat of the meat as he quickly consumed the meal. If Sebek did not guide him to another meal as quickly as he had this one, Azot could not deny that he found it fitting that his last meal was that of a child of Sebek.

From behind him Azot could hear two voices speaking as he walked away, the ogre-like man and the filthy gnome.

"Stoopid people, belivin' the crazy fat fools..."

"Sebek: A divine representation of the fears of the city, lurking beneath the streets and acting as a force of nature. Reports of meeting the divine entity has confirmed its existance, but it's actual control over the city is still debatable.'

"Shuddup...."

Phoenix

First Post
Komodo said:
The wolf limped up to the soldiers, and Corbin returned to his natural state. He let out a tiny yelp as his wounds were stretched and tugged, and the pain flared anew. Clenching his teeth, the halfling again focused on drawing up healing from the city. A soft green glow surrounded the bleeding wounds and the torn flesh began to stitch itself closed. A look of calm and relief passed over Corbin's face as he felt the comforting influence of the wild. "I think..." he began with a small amount of effort, "I think we scared it off."

[sblock=OOC]Casting cure moderate wounds on myself.[/sblock]

[sblock]Cure moderate wounds - 16pts healed[/sblock]

The soldiers watched the disturbance in the earth tunnel away for a moment before assisting thie striken comrade. One of the men approached Corbin, brushing his long hair aside to reveal his elven features, and lowering his crossbow.

"I'm Essaine of Urbanus, I don't know who you are but I'd like to thank you. We've had nothing but constant attacks since we arrived, I'm a little surprised to see someone out in the Outskirts that is of any assistance. What brings you here?"

Phoenix

First Post
GlassEye said:
A particularly loud rumble of thunder fades away leaving the city, for the barest of instants, still and quiet and giving Ymris the sense that the city was waiting for something. As sound and noise again intrude, to Ymris they seem disjointed, askew from reality. An echo of a dream. She stares up at the stormy sky with a growing sense of disquiet. Or an announcement of events to come.

Thom's tail lashes against her leg as if in disagreement with her thoughts and Ymris peers down at him. He gazes up at her with feline indifference to human drama then turns his attention back to the rat. "You are right, my friend," she says in a low voice. "There is more than one way to read the stones. But where to begin?" She watches Thom a moment longer before turning her gaze to what she can see of the skyline. Lylandra Spire has at least 134 floors. Maybe I'll be able to see it from here.

Grasping her rain-slick staff and hoping she's heading in the right direction, Ymris begins walking.

The streets of the city are impossible to navigate without sound advice, an accurate map, or a guide whose intentions are not to dump you in a dark hole minus your valuables. Ymris was hardly foolish, but the Labyrinth was not a place that could be travelled easily.

On the third day after setting out for the Apartments, Ymris was no closer to finding her goal. Thom had kept himself well fed on the vermin of the sewers, Ymris lived off the foul meats and stale bread that were sold in the small ruined shops that charged copper and tin bits for their wares.

In a large square filled with the shanty huts and tents, Ymris and Thom picked their way across debris, starving families and around open sewer vents that cluttered the area. On the far side of the throng of people a large guarded road allowed several shops to thrive in the area, generating a small amount of commerce for the eateries that scattered along the edge of the shanty town.

Over thirty armed men wearing chain vests scanned the crowd for trouble makers, crossbows ready and spears prepared for danger. With several crude carriages awaiting outside of the stores, Ymris could see several dozen customers milling through the wares through the windows. One of the stores seemed to be a tailors, another was a potter, while a third looked like a jeweler of some kind, a strange collection of stores to see in such a poor area of the city.

Komodo

First Post
Phoenix said:
[sblock]Cure moderate wounds - 16pts healed[/sblock]

The soldiers watched the disturbance in the earth tunnel away for a moment before assisting thie striken comrade. One of the men approached Corbin, brushing his long hair aside to reveal his elven features, and lowering his crossbow.

"I'm Essaine of Urbanus, I don't know who you are but I'd like to thank you. We've had nothing but constant attacks since we arrived, I'm a little surprised to see someone out in the Outskirts that is of any assistance. What brings you here?"

"Corbin Deeppouch," replies Corbin, extending a small hand. "I'm an archeologist. I've been researching some tablets that I unearthed a few weeks ago. Did you say you were with the League?" he asks. "I was supposed to be meeting some members out here to discuss my research."

Fenris

Adventurer
Phoenix said:
Only the Whale moved to drink Alexi's offering once he had left the table, and from behind his he could hear, "S'good y'know," as well as some sloshing and gurgling. As Alexi payed the bartender, the man looked down upon the two golden coins in awe, hardly able to understand what to do next. Just before the man dove desperately for the coins, Alexi could almost swear that the pictures on the coins were different, maybe just a trick of the eye.

Each of the knights had stood and tossed a silver coin across the bar as they left, nodding to the bartender who was oblivious to the money raining down upon him. All his problems had been solved.

One mighty hand dropped upon Alexi's shoulder, a spray of spittle and ale broke through the visor of the Whale. "You're a good man Stag, I like you, even ifya are a paladin."

Each of the men collected their steeds from within buildings around the courtyard and swiftly mounted. Within minutes four juggernaughts of iron trotted down the streets of Metropolis, no-one daring to get in their way. Alexi noted that the other men even had chainmail barding for their horses, suitable company for one trained as he no doubt.

Dragon and Boar muttered to each other through closed helms, leaving Whale to speak to Alexi as they moved on. He noticed that the rider guided his steed with his legs as he rested upon his saddle and finished the bottle of Burgi that had been opened for the group.

"Y'know, you paldins're a strange lot y'know. Talkin' 'bout evil like it matters to ya, then agreein' ta kill people without even askin' the fee or yer cut. Seein' divine vishens, given' people gold, yeh, i saw ya, the others woulda killed that fella for them coins, but not ol'...", he looked at his shield, "...ol' Whale, nah, not me..."

Alexi laughs. "Whale, you're a good man." he says clasping Whale's shoulder. "So if it makes you feel better, tell me what my cut shall be. "

"Now my friend I can arrange for more of those fine bottles you are drinking, assuming that of course we all survive this little excursion. So how many wizards have you killed Whale?" asks Alexi with a smile.

Alexi turns and fishes out another bottle of Burgi and passes it over to Whale. "So Tell me Whale, how did Ham find you, and how did he know you would be suited for this mission?"

Over the course of walking the streets Alexi plys Whale with numerous questions indirectly finding out the specifics of the mission and the backgrounds of the three knights, to Whale's knowledge, using the skills honed through years of courtroom and ballroom conbersations to extract the information he wants in small tidbits so that the other converser doesn't quite realize what he has said.

OOC: [sblock] Phoenix I am sorry I forgot about gold in Metropolis :eek: However if anyone had gold it would be families like Alexi's. Not that the result wasn't great, but I'll be more discreet from here out. :) [/sblock]

Tonks

First Post
'The Upper World may have forgotten Sebek, but he has not forgotten them. I will show the Leaguers and Jackals the errors of their ways, even if the hunt takes me back to this place.'

As the yellow rain continued to fall from the sky, Azot tried to recall the foggy memories of his days in the Upper World. Calling the memories was difficult for him initially, but soon he begn to place a few of the other Upper World names to their locations.

Keeping his eyes on the signs ahead of him, Azot wondered if he was making true progress towards finding the Ivory Markets or simply walking in elaborate circles. However when he saw the sign of the forge underneath the white tent, he knew he was making progress but was unaware that to enter the Ivory Markets through this street would take him through one of the dwarven neighborhoods.

'I am no longer one of them. Sebek has shown me my true self, the birthing skin was merely the first stage.'

Even as he voiced the truth to himself, Azot still could not stop himself from pulling the leather cowl over his head, hiding his features in its depth.

Remove ads