• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Metropolis - The Weight of the World (and Found Wanting)

Bront

The man with the probe
Scotley said:
Jazick turns quickly from the fallen Jackal. "I hope it is someone who can help us. I guess at least one follower survived whatever befell this place. It seems odd that he has taken no notice of us. Shall we try to get his attention or wait until he stops praying or whatever he's doing?" His voice is soft and a little nervous.
"Let's approach quietly. Perhaps he'll notice us, but we can try to not disturb him," Jen says. If Jazick agrees, she will approach quietly with Jazick.

[sblock=ooc]Move silently, though more to just avoid distrubing what the man is doing than actualy hiding.[/sblock]

Komodo

First Post
Phoenix said:
Corbin's voice stopped all conversation as the three scrabbled across stone grasping at daggers and small swords that lay nearby. "Who...who are you? Get back, you'll not take us!"

Corbin started and took a small step back from the group, then raised his hands and smiled warmly. "Relax, it's okay. I'm a researcher myself. Corbin Deeppouch." He extended a hand in greeting. "I think somebody wanted me to come here and see if I could lend a hand."

Scotley

Hero
Jazick nods and says, "No point in waiting for the Jackals to find another way in." He moves forward with his companion. He puts a hand to his sword hilt and then thinks better of it. He settles for trying to look confident, yet non-threatening which comes across as walking stiffly yet smiling and open handed.

Phoenix

First Post
Komodo said:
Corbin started and took a small step back from the group, then raised his hands and smiled warmly. "Relax, it's okay. I'm a researcher myself. Corbin Deeppouch." He extended a hand in greeting. "I think somebody wanted me to come here and see if I could lend a hand."

There was something in the way that they looked at Corbin that disturbed him a little, their eyes betrayed their initial reaction, though all Corbin could gleam was that it was not a reaction of joy or kindness.

They each looked at his hand as if it were on fire, but one eventually reluctantly stepped forward and grasped it. "You...you're Corbin?" They glanced at each other as if they desperately wished to have a silent conversation, in the end it seemed that they had no choice but to continue this endevour.

Their behaviour was more than strange to Corbin, but he'd been away from people for so long now, unearthing parts of the Outskirts that others seemed to afraid to step near. This place wasn't so bad, good weather, nice food (when it could be scavenged), though the company up until now was a little sparse.

"We're currently working on the theological and metaphysical differences between the studies that we have discovered on tablets that we have unearthed from below. We got word that you have also a tablet that may help us in our discoveries, we have dozens of pieces to translate."

There was a cry from below and one of the Leaguers scrambled across to the shaft and looked down. "Looks like we've found another chamber, that makes twelve now. We'll have to send people to get more food if we're going to stay here and study all the chamber art, we've only got a few days left."

Phoenix

First Post
Scotley said:
Jazick nods and says, "No point in waiting for the Jackals to find another way in." He moves forward with his companion. He puts a hand to his sword hilt and then thinks better of it. He settles for trying to look confident, yet non-threatening which comes across as walking stiffly yet smiling and open handed.

Jazick and Jen padded forward carefully, their footsteps masked easily by the echos of the screaming jackal. The robed figure seemed less than interested in the noise that attacked the traveller's ears though, for he had yet to move an inch from his position. The chill wind picked up a little, blowing at Jen's hair and causing the two to gasp their clothes tighter about them, though the figure up ahead seemed unconcerned, his robes rustling in the breeze.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Phoenix said:
Senor Draconis reached into his pocket and drew out a single silver coin, flipping it through the air towards Ymris. "Consider this a down-payment. Now don't dally." He had turned and left the room before Ymris even caught the coin, so it was doubtful he notice what had occurred.

In mid-air the coin spun and caught a single ray of light from a nearby candle, gleamed, and landed in Ymris's hand as a single golden coin. It was hot, almost scolding her hand. On on side was an image of Metropolis, the other had a regal woman's face, one that Ymris had seen before...

Though Draconis had already left Ymris stands staring at the coin gleaming goldly on her palm. The image of the woman's face, the face from her dream, sends a chill racing down her neck and spine. She flips the coin, looking at both sides, then slowly closes her fingers around it and tucks it into her pouch.

Mind spinning with resurfacing memories of dream she quickly slips her pack onto her shoulders and exits the building to the street. Though she doesn't immediately spot him Ymris senses Ragged Thom and sends him feelings of urgency and possible danger before heading eastward towards the District of Leagues.

Phoenix

First Post
GlassEye said:
Though Draconis had already left Ymris stands staring at the coin gleaming goldly on her palm. The image of the woman's face, the face from her dream, sends a chill racing down her neck and spine. She flips the coin, looking at both sides, then slowly closes her fingers around it and tucks it into her pouch.

Mind spinning with resurfacing memories of dream she quickly slips her pack onto her shoulders and exits the building to the street. Though she doesn't immediately spot him Ymris senses Ragged Thom and sends him feelings of urgency and possible danger before heading eastward towards the District of Leagues.

Old Thom was the first to dart out into the rain for once, yeowling at nothing in particular and looking miserable as a wet cat could. He bolted ahead down the street ahead of Ymris, the right way for a change, and occasionally waited beside a building for her to catch up before he yeowled again and patted off across the ruined cobblestones once more.

From what Senor Draconis had said, this journey was to be an easy and short one. The District of Leagues was only a few hours away, and as she travelled towards it, the presence of armed guards grew in proportion to the shops that appeared. A commercial district slowly grew around the two as they walked, though the people didn’t get much happier or well off.

The suburb built up around her, and after two solid hours of walking many of the buildings were five stories tall at least. Most were apartment blocks, but some were farms, inns or dozens of shops crammed together in what they called Blockmarkets*.

The markets came and went, offering little for Ymris. Old Thom seemed a little more comfortable here as the vermin ran free, safe from starving desperate people that would eat anything that moved. Crowds ignored him, and shopkeepers did not try to add him to their wares.

Thunder boomed softly in the distance and an unexpected warm breeze blew through the streets for a moment, lifting people’s spirits a little, before being sucked into the cold streets and plunging the suburb into depression once more.

Old signs hung limply on iron posts, pointing the District of Leagues that Ymris sought. Wagons and travellers bustled through the streets back and forth, and eventually the large compounds that comprised the eight universities and schools that was the District was in sight. Hundreds of people, students, merchants, travellers, scholars and sages ran through the streets trying to cover themselves, and their books, as the rain assaulted them.

Old Thom ducked in between Ymris’s legs as she made her way into Adzan Square, the large meeting of streets where the front of all eight school met, looking for cover from the unforgiving feet of running students. It was easy enough for Ymris to stop and question someone to the nature of her target, and a hastily pointed finger showed the way to a large compound surrounded by high stone walls containing at least a dozen small buildings and one large ten storey school that towered over the rest. One the closed iron gates, next to the dozen armed guards that stood in the streets, rested a sign.

The Zimmerman School for Girls​

[sblock]*Blockmarkets typically filled with people selling wares that were imported from neighbouring suburbs or retrieved from the sewers. Many of them sold little more than food or trinkets to those that could afford both, but recently entire blockmarkets had converted to water purification businesses to cope with the unending storm that hung over the city.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Phoenix said:
Jazick and Jen padded forward carefully, their footsteps masked easily by the echos of the screaming jackal. The robed figure seemed less than interested in the noise that attacked the traveller's ears though, for he had yet to move an inch from his position. The chill wind picked up a little, blowing at Jen's hair and causing the two to gasp their clothes tighter about them, though the figure up ahead seemed unconcerned, his robes rustling in the breeze.
Jen steped a bit closer, hoping to examine him a bit. "Um, excuse me, sir?" she says to the figure.

Phoenix

First Post
Bront said:
Jen steped a bit closer, hoping to examine him a bit. "Um, excuse me, sir?" she says to the figure.

There is no response from the figure, but as moves closer his robes move once more, revealing the bleached white bones beneath the robes. Whoever it was died here and hadn't moved since, his skeleton locked into place attached to the alter.

Bront

The man with the probe
Phoenix said:
There is no response from the figure, but as moves closer his robes move once more, revealing the bleached white bones beneath the robes. Whoever it was died here and hadn't moved since, his skeleton locked into place attached to the alter.
"Must have been devoted," Jan says as she takes a quick look around the alter, to see if there is anything on it, around it, or perhaps in it, of significance.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads