Mickey’s Mouse Trap coming in March

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Nice. Can’t wait for this.

Disney’s lawyers pouring over every byte of information looking for an excuse to stop this in 3…2…1…

A28C3172-FF5D-422D-9AE5-2D31605A3978.jpeg

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I hope it's better than Winnie the Pooh blood and honey.
Statistically, based on the 3% Blood and Honey has among critics on RottenTomatoes.com, it has a good chance of rating a bit higher. But, honestly, it's fulfilling the same role - exploiting the character hitting public domain with a train wreck, so I expect it'll be much the same trash.

General_Tangent

Adventurer
Statistically, based on the 3% Blood and Honey has among critics on RottenTomatoes.com, it has a good chance of rating a bit higher. But, honestly, it's fulfilling the same role - exploiting the character hitting public domain with a train wreck, so I expect it'll be much the same trash.

I did go to the cinema to see the movie, there was so much wasted potential with it I left feeling a bit hollow and underwhelmed by it all.

Dausuul

Legend
Yes, Steamboat Willie is out of copyright. But Mickey Mouse remains a Disney trademark in very active use -- quite possibly the most well-known trademark they have.

I am not a lawyer, still less an IP lawyer, but making a movie where one of the major characters is the trademark of a giant, litigious movie company seems... hazardous, to say the least. On the face of it, it sure looks like Disney could make a legit case that this would create confusion over whether it's a Disney movie or not. And my understanding is that trademarks (unlike copyrights) must be defended or you risk losing them, so Disney would almost have to sue.

I hope the creators have consulted their lawyers every step of the way, including going over the entire movie scene by scene.

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Not a slasher horror fan myself. I'll wait for the Steamboat Willie / Lady Chatterley's Lover mashup.
I don’t like slasher flicks either. I just think it’s funny. The House of Mouse was built on pillaging the public domain and they fought long and hard to make sure nothing of theirs fell into the public domain. And now their mascot has.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Not a slasher horror fan myself. I'll wait for the Steamboat Willie / Lady Chatterley's Lover mashup.
I have been trying to think of what a Steamboat Willie RPG adventure would look like and can't come up with anything that isn't super-generic and boring. "Orc and Pie" but instead "Mickey and Pie."

I can definitely see someone repurposing Lady Chatterly for Edwardian or Windsor era RPG games.

Remove ads