• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Microlite20 : the smallest thing in gaming

kroh

First Post
I would love to playtest Microlight Modern!

What a Great name too :cool: I think a good idea would be to have two versions of the rules. The standard Microlight rules (two page PDF or the back pocket guide availlable in the lobby or through Lulu press for the low low price of...) and then a kicked up version with all the goodies in one tome (Rules, Gm's guide, Monsters, Equipment). I think a neat gimick would be to have an actual pocket guide. It could have the rules on the first two pages and then the perspective GM could use the rest of the notebook to write in his adventures or campaign ideas ( or the notebook could have an adventure inside along with the rules. Microlight 20! Back Pocket Gaming! ).

There is a lot one could do with this.

Regards,
Walt

greywulf

First Post
Y'know, I'm soooooooo tempted to release a PocketMod version of M20 complete with Monsters, a handful of spells and a microDungeon, just because........

Give me the weekend.

MeepoDM

First Post
greywulf said:
That's another thing about minimalist systems; they encourage creativity and a sense of freedom with the rules. Too many rules can be stifling.

Couldn't agree more. It is the #1 reason why d20 never clicked with me...until now :D

greywulf said:
I know I keep talking about adding in more stuff, but I'm tempted to leave the core rules as they are for now - a single page of all the rules, plus a side of Monsters. That's two pages and enough to run a game from your back pocket if you wanted. I like that.

I think that is an excellent suggestion. I know yesterday after my over-thinking on the favored spell system that I eventually came to like it the way it is. I'm going to run it as I have and really get to the meat of it.

greywulf said:
- +1 to Hit/+1 damage for Fighters every five levels
- or, allow Fighter to critical on a 19 or 20 - maybe at level 10? Good one, enelson!

I've been running the +/- 1 per five. Just to keep the Fighter interesting at higher levels.

greywulf said:
- Some form of Sneak attack for Rogues. Linking it with Subterfuge somehow might work, but we'd need to figure out something that's very quick to handle in-game. Ideas?

I've been using the Sub. skill rank to add to sneak attack damage since day 1 and I think it works well. I've also been toying with a +1 INIT, but...

greywulf said:
- Reduced Spell Costs at higher levels. Maybe that would suit the more High-Powered style of gamer. I like M20's low magic (but free choice) feel myself though.

See yesterday :p

greywulf said:
- Psionics. Hehehehehehe.

No comment (Psi's never been my bag).

greywulf said:
In unrelated news, I've written a review of the D&D Rules Cyclopedia on my site. Feel free to stop by and comment!

Saw it yesterday - loved it! I've long considered it the crown jewel of my meager collection - the one book I can always turn to for a fresh idea, no matter the edition.

Darrell

First Post
Technomancer said:
Seriously, I'm looking forward to actually trying this out sometime.

You really should. I've run six games with the Microlite20 rules and no PHB/DMG/MM at the table...three of those games being spur-of-the-moment things that took me less than 30 minutes to prepare for (waaay less than the several hours our weekly sessions have been taking me using 3.5 rules as written). My players created their initial characters in about 3 minutes.

Less prep time = more play time = more fun all around.

MeepoDM said:
That method certainly sounds easy, but I'd hate to think of someone taking (from the example above) something like Disintegrate as their favored spell. For only 7 HP's a pop, that thing could be brutal!

Good point. How 'bout instead of 1HP less for your 1st level spell, 2HP less for your favourite 2nd level spell, and so forth, we could do something similar to the suggested Fighter's bonus where the Mage gets his favoured spells at -1hp/5 levels? That way the Mage gets a bonus, and the bonus is structured with other rules.

MeepoDM said:
I've been using the Sub. skill rank to add to sneak attack damage since day 1 and I think it works well.

Ditto. It seems to work really well, and is (like I mentioned above) structured within the existing rules.

I'll probably stick with the "classic" names for stats...well, except for MIND...instead of Fort/Ref/Will (especially since I add CHA back in in my game). There's just something...aesthetically pleasing...to me about keeping 'em.

Regards,
Darrell

PS--

I quite agree with MeepoDM about the Rules Cyclopedia. One of my biggest regrets, gaming-wise, is that I got rid of it (along with a RC DM Screen, the Thunder Rift setting book, and several adventure packs that went with it) when I ransacked my shelves and sold everything when 3e first came out.

--D.

MeepoDM

First Post
One thing I really dig about Microlite20 is its modularity. The core is simple enough that each additional piece snaps in place like a puzzle. Adding and removing pieces doesn't tend to disrupt the core "engine" so the game can easily be personalized.

For example, I use Darrell's spell list as my "base" spell list to draw from. They are the only spells I allow to be casted on the fly. Anything else, be it from the PHB or a supplement is allowed, but has to be first researched, scribed, granted from the gods etc. before it can be added to the spellcasters library. Cuts back on the "tool for any occasion" and scanning of spell lists for an answer. Sneak Attacks & Undead Turning are other good examples.

Man I'm fired up to write an M20 adventure, but I'm so blasted busy this weekend, it'll have to wait until next *gah*!

MeepoDM

First Post
It would seem that we have a collection of old Basic D&D players here! Based on that, I hope you all appreciate this document. I've always been a big fan of 'Fast Packs' and the lists in the B3 and B4 modules were some of my most used documents back in the day. We'd roll up a pile of characters with the tables in B1 and then assign them one of the three packs and BOOM, instant hireling!

I figured with the two minute or less character creation of Microlite20, something like this would be like a smooth gravy over the top :p

Attachments

• Microlite20 Fast Packs.pdf
    44.2 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

greywulf

First Post
The smallest thing in gaming just got smaller!

m20.jpg

Here's a Character sheet, generation rules, combat, magic, advancement and a grab-bag of Monsters all in a back pocket booklet created from a single side of paper.

Backpocket gaming. I love it.

Details, download and printing instructions here.

Meepo, I've added your Fast Packs to the download page. Excellent addition!

My next project is a dungeon adventure in the same format. If anyone else wants to make Pocketbooks like this, just download the offline PDFtoPocketMod generator from PocketMod. Create an 8 page PDF with a suitably BIG font (everything gets scaled down, massively) and run it through the generator.

Simple, really. I wish there was a Linux version of the generator though. Ah well, can't have everything I guess :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads