Middle earth D20 Conversion

Baronovan

First Post
Thanks, tompetruc. Chapter 2 is almost done... I have to decide whether or not some material gets included (i.e. written) or not, but it should bedone within a week or so.

Baronovan

First Post
I've got Chapter 2 done, just follow the link on the main page.

If you disliked The Dark Tower conclusion, you might wanna bask in my disdain on my O' Discordia smear page. There's bad language, kids, don't say the Baron didn't warn you.

Chapter 3 could be done in a few weeks, most surely by early December.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
phadeout said:
If you want LOTR d20, you might want to look into the Midnight campaign setting by Fantasy Flight Games www.fantasyflightgames.com

I think it's great, but that's me... Just a suggestion....

I second this. A fantastic line of products, inspired by LotR.

Another suggestion is to check out Decipher's LotR RPG. I ran a campaign using this game, and found it to be a very worthy interpretation of Tolkien's work. It wouldn'y be hard to convert, really - the CODA system used for it is very similar to d20 in a lot of ways. Edges, for example, translate almost directly into feats. The magic system is also worth looking at. Be warned, though - the designers did not go for game balance, which they discuss at length in the core book, but instead tried to remain true to the source material. The downside - Decipher has apparently abandoned the LotR RPG line.

qstor

Adventurer
There's some new fan produced material in the .pdf webzine Hall of Fire for the CODA system material that's pretty good. There's a link to the Hall of Fire site in the offical LOTR RPG boards at decipher.com

Mike

HeinorNY

First Post
Trumpotec, what about the spellcasting classes, magic systems and spell?
Nice work. I loved it.
I can see some ideas from the Decipher's LOTR.
Decipher made a great job catching the middle earth flavor, but a awful job regarding rules and balance....
A pure conversion to d20 would be enough!!!

Baronovan, nice work too, but i just dont like the epic approach to LOTR, since i understand it's a low magic setting.

HeinorNY

First Post
I forgot to mention.
You talked about Talents.
I was thinking, not all noldor have seen the light of the trees, so the Light of Aman could be a Talent only noldor can get.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
ainatan said:
Decipher made a great job catching the middle earth flavor, but a awful job regarding rules and balance....
A pure conversion to d20 would be enough!!!

I don't think the rules of Decipher's game are awful; I actually think they're pretty good in many ways. Regarding balance, the designers even discuss this at length in the core book. When it comes right down to it, Middle-earth is not a place of balance. Some beings and careers are just better than others (Elves and Wizards, for two big examples). It reminds me a bit of Ars Magica, game-wise. In AM, Wizards are simply more powerful than other characters. There really is no attempt to balance them against other types of characters.

It's up to the GM to carefully watch his players' dynamics when it comes to games like this. Happily, the group I Narrated for rose to the challenge. There were some notorious munchkins, powergamers, and hack 'n' slahers in that group, and they all really made an effort to maintain the mood and feel of the setting. Had they wanted to simply min/max their characters and go on a "Knights of the Dinner Table" type of killing spree, I guess they could have, but they didn't. The only restriction I made was that the only type of Elf available for PC use were Silvan Elves, and this didn't bother them at all.

Anyway, a straight conversion to d20 of Decipher's game would be cool, and, in instances like with Edges, fairly easy to do (which was mentioned above, I believe). More challenging would be the classes, especially Magicians and Wizards. If I ever get the time, I'd like to try it.

Remove ads