• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Midnight 2nd Edition

Aus_Snow

First Post
mwaite said:
1st edition books are the Core Rulebook, Against the Shadow, and the module, Crown of Shadow. The rest are all 2nd edition.
Thanks. :)

It's taken me a long time to really warm to the setting, but hey, now is as good a time as any.

Voadam

Legend
Neil Bishop said:
It's superb.

I'm still waiting to run it: business has gotten in the way of a few games in the past few years.

It includes the second book which, IIRC, was called Against the Shadow. It may have a couple of monsters in it too from Minions of Shadow but I'm not 100% sure.

The thing that attracted me to Midnight originally was that every story hour I read was well-written. It didn't matter who the author was, the threads were all worth reading.

I'm also seriously considering running it one day using Savage Worlds instead of D&D.
Midnight 2e does incorporate both the 1e CS and Against the Shadow
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/mn11.html

Voadam

Legend
mwaite said:
1st edition books are the Core Rulebook, Against the Shadow, and the module, Crown of Shadow. The rest are all 2nd edition.
Really? Midnight Campaign Setting is marked MN01, Against the Shadow is MN02, Crown of Shadow is MN03 and Midnight CS 2e is MN11. The numbers go from MN01 up to MN18.

I know Minions of Shadow (MN04) is 3.5 but I thought that came out well before the 2e CS.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I pillaged the Midnight books the last time Fantasy Flight did a $5 sale. It is a great setting. The heroes are much more beleaguered than in most campaigns, and the heroes must fan the faint glimmers of hope. Should I ever run it (and trust me, I am tempted) I would run with a multi-generational model, skipping a generation or two when the Shadow is too strongly in ascendance. In the end I would like to see the Dark God fall, but it will be a long, hard road to travel.

The Auld Grump

Erekose

Eternal Champion
From the website the full list of products is:

1st Edition
  • Midnight Campaign Setting
  • Against the Shadow

2nd Edition
  • Midnight 2nd Edition
  • Crown of Shadow
  • Minions of the Shadow
  • City of Shadow
  • Sorcery and Shadow
  • Under the Shadow
  • Forge of Shadow
  • Fury of Shadow
  • Steel and Shadow
  • Heart of Shadow
  • Star and Shadow
  • Hammer and Shadow
  • Legends of Shadow
  • Hand of Shadow
  • Destiny and Shadow
  • Honor and Shadow

I'd be interested to hear any comments on how good the various supplements are as they appear to be a mixed bag of "class books", "monster books" and "setting books" with Crown of Shadow as the only "mega" adventure.

Last edited:

johnnype

First Post
I highly recommend Fury of Shadows. It's gorgeous. All about Erethor and how to make a campaign out of it. It also has a bunch of additional material (maps and such) but that's just gravy. Buy it for the setting material, think of the rest as an added bonus.

I'm also fond of Hammer and Shadow but that has more to do with my enjoyment of dwarven mountain holds. All the dwarves can hope for is a pyrrhic victory at best but that's part of the appeal isn't it?

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Thanks johnnype!

How about Sorcery and Shadow and Steel and Shadow - how do they rate as "class books" compared to the more generic WotC equivalents?

Are City of Shadow and Hand of Shadow complementary? Both appear to cover "evil" characters in the setting.

How useful is Fury of Shadow the limited edition boxed set?

Cheers! :D

Hstio

First Post
Erekose,

City of Shadow should be the last book you get in the line. Most of the diehard Midnight fans agree that it's the worst book in the line. Sorcery is one of my favorite books because it covers magic and is not really a class book. Steel and Shadow is much more a class/combat option book.

Hstio

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Hstio said:
City of Shadow should be the last book you get in the line. Most of the diehard Midnight fans agree that it's the worst book in the line.

Thanks Histio - based on the blurb City of Shadow sounds quite interesting so it's good to know it's actually not very good!

Hstio said:
Sorcery is one of my favorite books because it covers magic and is not really a class book. Steel and Shadow is much more a class/combat option book.

Please can you expand a little on your description of Sorcery and Shadow?

Cheers!

Hstio

First Post
Erekose,

Sorcery and Shadow is all things magic; from places of legend like Aradar and the Arteries, to power nexi, new spells, feats, runes, and monsters. If I was limited to 3 Midnight products, I'd take 2nd edition, Fury, and Sorcery.

Hstio

Remove ads