Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 2, Flight

Krug

Newshound
Starhl forces up a smile, despite his wound. "Glad that you made it," he says. "And we bagged ourselves a Legate. hah now every orc and Shadow touched in the land be looking for us!" he chuckles.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I'm glad you find it amusing Starhl. I, on the other hand, would rather not have every orc and Shadowspawn in the land be seeking us; it would increase our chances to succeed. Taking out a single Legate or a few orcs will not hinder the Shadow in any significant way. Keeping the Hope of Aryth alive will do more than killing a thousand orcs. I will do what I can to help with that. I will fight when it is needed, but stealth and guile may do us more good than strength of arms much of the time.

Bobitron

Explorer
Kaela lays a gentle hand on Lodric's arm. "It has been a difficult time, Lodric, and each of us is due a little humour and rest. Starhl understands the situation, I'm sure."

She steps forward to where Starhl and Valurel, casting an eye over their wounds. "Will you both be all right? That doesn't look good."

Turning to Bardin, she agrees with Lodric's explaination. "Caft is gone. The legate and his orcs were ruthless. Some of us are from Caft, others joined along the way. We are united in one thing- ensuring the Hope remains safe. She has a part to play against the Shadow that has not yet been defined."

Arm over Aislinn's shoulder, she brings the blind girl forward into the dim light.

"This is Aislinn. The Hope."

Hrothgar

First Post
Bardin and Geoffrey eye the Heroes, the eyes fathomless in the dark room. Bardin clears his throat, but his words lack the harshness of earlier. Hope? We save none for ourselves, only those refugees we ferry away from the Shadow's clutches. Geoffrey rubs his bearded chin. If Aislinn does offer us Hope, as you say, I can see your desire to cross the Pelluria. Insurgents still reside in Baden's Bluff, which I am familiar with. Geoffrey looks at Lodric. Svelgaut is an honorable man. If he was willing to risk his life to get you here, then consider yourself under our care. Geoffrey glances at Starhl. Aye. I wish it were that you had sent a legate into the depths. Unfortunately, it was a wicked Sacosan, one noted for his brutality and unclean desires. You did the North a service by killing one so vile.

Bardin speaks up once again. We leave within two days for Baden's Bluff. We can find you assistance there. No use pushing our luck having you holed up here. We have a barge shipment of foodstuffs and implements for the war effort in the South. How fitting we should send Hope hidden in the tools of war.

Bardin stands up and turns to leave for his preparations. Stopping and turning ever so slightly, he speaks over his shoulder, himself daring to hope. What has Hope have to offer to us who have none? Why is she so important in the war against the Shadow?

Valurel turns to his companions, a questioning look on his face. Speaking slowly and choosing his words carefully he asks, "What is it that causes the gnome to talk so passionately? What do they plan to do with us? Will they help?"

maddmic

Explorer
Herger looks at the girl and then back to the small gnome. "These thing have not been shown to us yet. But she is special, that is for certain. We came across a host of orcs, long dead, at Caer Beris. Their spirits took notice of her and were distracted long enough for my companions along with the ancient Dorns to score a victory over them. This would counter the history of the place. As for me though, I believe that the shadow fears this girl. And we all know that the shadow fears nothing. That alone gives me hope.

Herger looks to his companions. "I had not known what path my life would take. I did not know if I would be able to see Aislinn to safety. I now know that I desire to accompany her and these fine people wherever they go if they will have me. I fear though that there might not be enough space for me on this barge. I am not an easy one to hide."

Krug

Newshound
"More will fall to our blade! To my blade!" says Starhl, his eyes ablaze, glad that he does not have to hide anything from Geoffrey anymore now that his companions are here. "I pledge my life to guard Aislinn; she may be the way to destroy these beasts of night."

Bobitron

Explorer
ooc: Hey! Where's my post!?! I updated this two days ago and it's gone. Grrrr...

Kaela listens carefully to Bardin and steps forward after Starhl and Herger finish their dedications, her arm still wrapped around the young girl. Kneeling down before her, she touches Aislinn's face lightly and speaks softly. "Dearest? Starhl and Valurel are hurt. Can you help them? They fought to save us all while Herger protected you."

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Lodric takes another bite of the smoked fish, enjoying the feeling of warm food in his stomach, and turns to Bardin.

Life is difficult for all of us under the yoke of the Shadow. It is easier to turn inward and do little more than concern yourself with your own survival, which is what the Shadow wants. I do not know why, but I feel that this one young girl may be able to change that.

I do not believe that she will become what some would desire; a great leader in the fight against the Shadow, in fact I think it would pain me greatly to see her become such a person. I think instead she will be somone who can begin to heal our spirit. From that, many things are possible.

ooc: so Bobitron, was your post the one that brought down the boards two days ago? ;)

Hrothgar

First Post
Aislinn's head bows, her blind, white eyes aimed down toward Kaela. Nodding once, she moves toward Starhl and Valurel with Kaela's assistance. She pauses as those around her speak. Looking straight ahead, the young Dorn woman whispers quietly, My family was betrayed and killed in Caft. Some unknown power has smiled on me that I might find such friends, companions,...family as all of you. I also wish to solve the riddle of my existence as all of you. Am I a key...a weapon against the Shadow? I don't know. I feel so small, so useless, relying on such brave folk as you to guide and protect me. I am reminded of the brown leaves that blow on the cold northern wind in the fall, descending into the river near the town of my birth. Swept downstream, drowning, smashed into the rocks, no control over their destiny...I am the same. Carried on a wind of fate, my destination unknown. We seek to go south. For some reason, I feel drawn in that direction. I have had dreams of late, dreams of a great forest where even the Shadow fears to tread. Into the dark vales I am drawn, where even the forest's creatures fear to tread. What draws me there, I do not know, but I will not fail you. I will be brave.

A faint green glow begins to illuminate Aislinn as she rests her hands on first Stahrl's, then Valurel's chest. Peace and calm wash over the two warriors, a goodness that vies with euphoria. Flesh knits and blood ceases to flow. Even the Wolf stands to stare at Aislinn, not with fear, but kinship.

The gnomes in the room stare in shock at Aislinn's power, hurried whispers filling the room. Geoffrey and Bardin stare in awe at the girl's power. Bardin's voice is gravelly, but soft. Aye. This is a story I must hear. Please. Many are skilled in the use of magic. We have contacts in Baden's Bluff that can ascertain if she is somehow linked in the battle against the Shadow. You should all rest now while we prepare to leave in two days. Looking up at the Giant, Bardin's voice becomes more harsh, but almost jovial. Aye, longshanks. We even have room for one as big as you!

OOC: Stahrl is healed of 12 points of damage and Valurel is healed 6 points. From my notes, I don't see Valurel was hurt, but Aislinn healed both under Kaela's direction.

Two things: 1. Will the Heroes tell Bardin the tale of Aislinn's background, at least that known by the Heroes?

2. Do the Heroes wish to do anything while they rest for the next few days? I want to fast forward to the departure date to keep the game moving.

Remove ads