Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 2, Flight

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
ooc: 1. Lodric knows next to nothing of Aislinn's background. Not his call, but he would normally plead the case of limiting information as much as possible just in case it leads to something bad.

2. Lodric will inquire about performing some service in exchange for getting a replacement inutek, since he lost his in the woods with the raven.

Bobitron

Explorer
Kaela stands near Aislinn, a comforting arm still resting on her shoulders. She looks to Bardin. "Aislinn is the daughter of Uriel, the leader of Caft. The town was betrayed from within by a man who lusted after her mother. Aislinn was the secret that the legate sought in Caft. Her family... nay, the entire town... died to protect that secret." She touched Aislinn's cheek softly. "They have not died in vain, I think. I don't know of any reason this young girl should be the Hope of our cause. But I know what I feel in my heart, and I know there is something larger than this little girl before us. And I think you feel it too, Bardin."

A proud and loving expression is on her face as Kaela speaks. "You have come far with us, and I am proud of you, little sister. We do not know the reason why Fate has chosen you, but we are bound to the same path. I swore to stay by your side and that oath will remain intact."

Krug

Newshound
Fast forwarding is fine. Starhl will help out with menial tasks with his companions, but he is eager to be on his way.

Over the next few days, Starhl spends time doing odd jobs, which seem to mainly involve lugging wares around and making minor repairs. The wolf stays at his side most of the time, occasionally going off into the forest to hunt. He waits to continue the journey anew, practicising his swordcraft after nightfall, admiring his blade.

maddmic

Explorer
Herger nods to the gnome. "That is good to hear. I should like to see her to her destination safely.[/b]

OOC:
I'm fine w/ flashing ahead. I seriously doubt that the large Dorn could help out w/o being noticed, but if he can, he will.

Valurel is surprised when Aislinn uses her abilities to heal him as he was largely uninjured. After the warm energy flows through his body, washing away the bumps and bruises of the last several hours, he kisses the girl on the forehead.

OOC: I'm fine with moving forward...

Hrothgar

First Post
The two days drag by slowly, the Heroes confined in the small cellar of the Blue Sky Traders. As much as the Wolf desires the open spaces and hillside forests, Bardin refuses to let the Heroes or their companions leave the room, unwilling to risk detection by the spies of Shadow. With ample rest comes restlessness. Starhl expends his extra energy in sword practice, feeling the power of his new blade sing around him. Many of the gnomes marvel at his antique blade, its like never having been seen before. Herger is especially restless, the small confines limiting even his movements. Many of the gnomes at the Blue Sky Traders are amazed at the Giant's size, his very bulk seeming to give reckless courage and bravado to those of much shorter stature. Many of the gnomes also seek to converse with Valurel, despite the ghost's feral nature. Valurel is an enigma, a warrior elf from a once grand civilization that now exults in base animal instincts. Despite their trepidation, the gnomes are good company, especially with the fine wine and spirits they bring.

Bardin does not spend much time in the cellar, instead preparing his barge for launch. When he does visit, he is often in a foul mood, cursing about the Blood Mothers under his breath and glaring at any who would dare interrupt his personal tirades. However, his demeanour changes to one of relaxation or compassion when discussing the young woman Aislinn and her history. The gnome spends much of his time in the cellar discussing her potential with the Heroes, especially Kaela.

Geoffrey spends much of his time talking with Lodric, the two men seeming to share a common understanding. Both have travelled far and seen the horror of Shadow and both which to see the Shadow toppled. Geoffrey talks often of Baden's Bluff and its former glory, his knowledge of the city seemingly greater than that of an ignorant commoner. Geoffrey is also able to secure another inutek for Lodric from An unfortunate traveller some years back. From Geoffrey, the Heroes learn that a number of Blood Mothers still patrol the banks of the Ishensa looking for the drowned bodies of Starhl and Valurel. The Sarcosan's body was found far downstream and was fed to the wargs and wolves in the Shadow's service. However, the bodies of Starhl and Valurel, if found, are to be hung by legate's order on either bank of the Ishensa as an example to those who desire to raise sword against the Shadow.

At the passing of two days, the barge is finally loaded and prepared for travel. Much of the barge storage is empty; Bardin's orders are to ferry soldiers about the lower Pelluria before heading back laden with foodstuffs from Erenland to winter in the north once again. Stowed in crates full of smoked fish, the Heroes are loaded in the cargo hold of the long, wide barge before the breaking of the sun. Cold and shivering in the early morning and nauseated by the stench of fish, the Heroes wait expectantly as Blood Mothers walk the ship, searching haphazardly for any sign of contraband or anything out of order. Several gnomes scurry about the ship, preparing the great barge for travel. Geoffrey is also present, dressed in slave rags and running about the ship following the gnomes' orders.

Bardin can be heard above all, growling orders to his crew as well as verbally sparing with the orcs overseeing his departure. As the sun begins to warm the Ishensa Valley, Bardin gives the order to cast off the moors. The orcs on board quickly scurry off, their fear of water overpowering. Slowly, the lumbering rivercraft descends the Ishensa. As it passes further south, the sounds of Shadow spawn increase, from the hoarse shouts of orcs and the deep baying of wargs, to the gutteral cries of behemoths unseen by the Heroes.

Just as joints and muscles begin to scream at being cramped, the din outside the barge reaches that of a city. What number of orcs and other foul creatures must camp on either side of the Ishensa to make such a noise? An army. An overpowering juggernaut designed for one purpose: to cleanse the Dwarves from their lairs in the Kaladruns once and for all.

Above the tumult, a roar goes up. INSPECTION!! Bardin's answering growl can be heard. Every stinkin' time I pass this pit you stop me, Grul! Wastin' my time! When ya' gonna realize I ain't got no contraband! A thickly accented orc replies, That's Inspector Grul, Bardin. And watch your tongue ya' filthy little gnome or I'll make a smear out'a ya! Bardin growls in reply, but does not answer. A pair of boots slam into the deck above, their harsh sounds moving across the deck. A human voice with a hint of Sarcosan accent asks, What do you have below, gnome? Bardin growls, Food for the journey, unless you want us to starve! Nothing to bother your time with. The Sarcosan answers back, Aye. We'll see... The Sarcasan's boots sound on the steps leading into the hold, his harsh breathing heard even through the crates...

Valurel reluctantly enters the crate and allows himself to be sealed in, albeit loosely sealed. He is purely a child of nature and the cramped confines of the crate, combined with several days spent hiding in an underground cellar have left him feeling anxious and irritable, much like a caged animal.

When he hears the call for inspection, an orcish word he recognizes, Valurel tenses. Days of relative inactivity have left him somewhat sluggish and the cramped confines of the crate have created stiff and sore muscles. As much as he desires to burst free from the crate, he remains still, attempting to quiet his own breathing. He is weary of fighting and has no desire to engage in a battle with a patrol of orcs and other Shadow forces, especially not when the circumstances nearly completely favor the orcs. Neither does he want to cause future problems for Bardin, who although remains a stranger has clearly helped Valurel and his companions in a time of dire need

Valurel remains motionless and quiet, hoping that his companions do the same...

Hrothgar

First Post
Peering through gaps in the crate slats, the Heroes see a heavy set Sarcosan, his long, greasy moustache adding to the sinister look on his face. The Sarcosan pokes around in the hold, his unwashed body odor hidden by the stink of smoked fish. Obviously disinterested in his job, the man grabs a smoked fish, takes a great bite, scratches himself, and proceeds up the steps out of the hold. Yer' hold stinks, gnome. Is it fish or gnome that reeks so bad? Harsh laughter sounds outside. Bardin growls, Me thinks you smelled yourself in our tight hold. The laughter outside becomes even more boisterous. Inspector Grul shouts, Get your barge, outta' here, Bardin. Else I think you'll find a Sarcosan blade in your back. Quickly the sounds change as the barge begins to drift south once more. During one stretch, even sound seems to be dulled and fear a tangible thing as the barge passes through the ruins of haunted Davindale. The apprehension quickly fades as the barge enters the great inland Sea of Pelluria. The Heroes drift in and out of restless sleep before the crate tops are lifted and they are able to stretch their limbs once more. Seeking fresh air above the hold, the Heroes relax on the barge's deck. The dark freshwater sea stretches in all directions to the horizon. Above, dark clouds pass above a brilliant blue sky, seeking to deny the sun's light to Aryth.

Bardin barks, The journey is a long one, my friends. Today is the 13th day of Halail. We will be well into the arc of Zimra when we reach Baden's Bluff, almost thirty days journey. We head straight across the sea to decrease our chances of encountering unwanted attention. Dangerous? Yes. But, least chance of prying eyes. And don't expect to relax too long. You'll be workin' for me now! Ha!

To the west, the light of the sun breaks through the clouds in spots, the long rays causing the Pelluria to sparkle and shine. Ahead to the south, the waters are dark, forboding, unreadable. An unknown fate awaits the Heroes of Caft. And what role, if any, does Aislinn play in the fate of Aryth? Answers supposedly lie in Baden's Bluff. Are they the answers the Heroes want to hear?

OOC: OK, none of the hotheads tried anything foolish. :]

Alight, everyone, here ends Chapter 2. Everyone's character has gained one level. Please update your characters as necessary. Kaela and Krug both carry covenant items that will reveal new powers during their next use. I will post a new thread for Chapter 3 once the characters have been updated!

Story experience awards:
1. Fend off worg/goblin riders follwoing from Caft.
2. Make allies of Svelgaut and his companions.
3. Free Aislinn of Caer Beris.
4. Make contact with gnomes of Blue Sky Traders.

Remove ads