Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 2, Flight

Krug

Newshound
Starhl skitters to the wolf's side, and sees the carnage. Upset, he howls loudly.

He continues to speak in his yips and yaps and Dornish. "Wolf we understand your pain. We have also been turned out from our houses, our closest ones torn from us by these foul things. Homes burnt, friends killed, lifes destroyed. But alone we cannot do much. Together, we can have hope, to bring down the terrible Shadow that has fallen over the Land. Join us now, or go back into the woods. It is your choice, I give you." The barbarian offers his hand to the wolf, waiting for it's response.

With Starhl's loud howling, Valurel drops back into a crouch, concealing himself in the swordgrass. He expects a force of Orcs to reveal themselves any moment. He moves through the concealing grass to stand near Reznik. "We must leave. Not safe here."

Hrothgar

First Post
Aislinn squeezes Kaela's hand, her eyes beginning to tear. So much pain here, Kaela. I can feel it. The land. The wolf. The Shadow has been here, tearing apart the earth. I can guess what it was looking for. Nearby Fallax wheezes, Hush, you silly girl. We are miles from Caft. The land is wide, how could those armored behemoths find us?

The wolf cocks its head once again at Starhl, not understanding the woodsman's intentions. It sniffs the air, taking in Starhl's scent. Suddenly, its head snaps up, the hairs on its back raising in warning. A low, menacing growl emanates from its deep chest, sharp white fangs exposed in a snarl.

Morn, Reznik, and Valurel, nerves on edge, spot the worg riders before anyone else, almost half a mile away, cresting a hill behind the Heroes, following their path. With a shout and roar, the massive wolves and their goblin riders spring forward upon sighting their quarry, charging down the low hill, closing the distance with frightening speed. Fallax was right. The orcs couldn't find the Heroes. But, worgs following the Heroes scent could.

Valurel's eyes widen at the sight of the charging worgs and their goblin riders. He sighed, fatigue evident in his eyes. He wasn't sure how much more of this he and his companions could take, especially the young girl and the old man.

Knowing that the group couldn't hope to outrun the worgs and resolving himself to protect his companions as best he could, he sprang between the oncoming riders and Ailsinn and Kaela. "Keep them away from Aislinn!" he growled, speaking to Starhl, Morn, and Reznik. Standing from his crouch, he removes his longbow from his back and nocks an arrow. As soon as the range is not too great, he fires at the leading goblin.

Krug

Newshound
Starhl draws his sword. "Time to test blade," he snarls. He looks to the wolf. "Revenge is this time has come!" Growling, he stands next to the rest as they prepare to face their foes. He takes out a javelin and will start hurtling it at the riders once they come within range.

How many of them?

Hrothgar

First Post
The three worgs and their goblin riders gallop across the wet plains, the sword-grass singing at their passage. The goblins raise their spears in exhiliration of the impending slaughter, cruel cries echoing over the plains. The worgs bark and snarl, teeth gnashing and foamy, white drool coating their snouts.

Valurel wastes little time, loosing an arrow in haste at the approaching worg riders when they are not more than 100 yards away. The arrow falls harmlessly into the sword-grass. Knocking and firing again at 50 yards, the second shaft finds its mark in the chest of the lead goblin. With a scream, its spasming body slips off the back of the worg and crashing to the damp earth. Its mount continues on, not noticing its lost rider.

Starhl grips Bjorn's Faith in anticipation of the upcoming battle. The sword feels different in Starhl's hand. Starhl feels a Faith he has not experience. A Hope that he may live to protect Aislinn. Faith and Hope yield Strength. Strength breeds Resilience. Reslience is Toughness. (OOC: The wielder of Bjorn's Faith gains the Toughness feat at 2nd level. Please mark this on your character sheet, Krug.)

Aislinn fingers sink into Kaela's arm. Kaela? What's happening? I'm so scared! Fallax seems lost as well, dropping to the ground and covering his head, screaming in terror.

Herger Vorand
Cursing the mist, Herger stood and stretched his abnormally massive frame. The mist chilled to the very bone, leaving joints aching and stiff. Best to move on to Caft and keep the falling rain at his back.

Caft would be expecting him again. Farming tools would be needing repair after the seeding of the spring, not to mention preparation for the fall harvest. Food could be found in Caft as well. And Herger needed food. Alot of food.

Packing his belonging and shouldering his mighty axe, Herger stepped out from under the tall pines he had used as shelter. Descending the small hill toward the plain below, the howl of a wolf rose the hackles on Herger's neck. A mournful cry. A cry that matched the gray skies and misty air. Herger shivered, his own painful memories flooding back. Before Herger has long to reminisce, snarls and barks echo carry across the plains below, followed by cries in the Black Tongue of the Shadow's minions. A view of the plain below is still blocked by oak and pine, but the source of the noises below are near. Very near.

Bobitron

Explorer
Kaela drops to a crouch, pulling Aislinn down beside her. "Hush now, Aislinn. Let's not call attention to you. And Fallax, stop that wailing. If you are not man enough to stand, at least prove wise enough to stay out of the way and quiet." Kaela's angry glare at the elderly man looks out of place on her delicate features.

"We are under attack, but you are safe for now. Keep low and let the warriors protect us!"

Krug

Newshound
Did they reach near enough for me to hit them with my javelin?

Starhl swings the sword, laughing at the upcoming battle. He admires the balance of the blade, and knows it waits to shed the blood of those that had taken the land. We are perfect companions, you and I. He looks at the wolf. And you as well.

Hrothgar

First Post
OOC: The worgs are fifty yards away and will be closing with the Heroes within one round at their current speed (run x3). I will allow Starhl to throw a javelin as the worgs close. However, I am waiting for the other characters to decide what they are going to do. Elapse? maddmic? Toric? Micar?

maddmic

Explorer
Herger is curious about the strange sounds, yet he also knows that if it is the Shadow's minions, then whoever they attack will probably be slaughtered. His curiosity winning over, he moves to the edge of the plains to see what is going on, hoping that he is far enough away that he is not noticed. Surely they would frown on him carrying this weapon should he be seen.

Remove ads