Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 3, Baden's Bluff

Hrothgar said:
Murdoch reclines on a chair and motions to the rest of the Heroes. Please. Take time to rest. Bach, bring them food. The young teen scrambles to bring hard cheese, bread, and water to the Heroes. Murdoch looks at Valurel intently for several minutes. I respect your bravery, travelling through lands where if caught would mean death for you. A representative of Erethor is here, in this city. She may help you if your crisis is dire enough. Why have you risked so much to journey here? And from where?

Valurel looks at Murdoch in surprise. It has been a long time since he has heard his native language spoken. It takes a moment before he replies, not having spoken this language in so long. "A representative of my people is here? Can someone take me to her? He pauses a moment, trying to absorb what he's just been told. "These people are my friends," he says in answer to Murdoch's first question, "and the child must be protected. I would give my own life for hers. I came here from Caft, but before that from the Veradeen."

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Lodric moves to Aislinn's side. Last time you lanced the cyst on her neck. We can do so again if you think it best. I think I can help close the wounds once we drain the foul liquid within. In the meantime, Kaela, you can best tell her story and your own and convince these people how important it is to keep her safe.

Krug

Newshound
Starhl runs his fingers through the wolf's fur. Discovering a tick, he yanks it out forcefully, eliciting a whine from her. He then crushes it in his fingers, and tosses the dead bug to the side. "I... We.. would do same for the girl." He says, quietly.

Hrothgar

First Post
Fallax looks nauseous momentarily and then sneers at Starhl. We lived like animals Northman, but back in civilization I will embrace civilized living. You've rolled in the dirt too long with your dogs to notice we've even escaped the wild. At Fallax's acidic remark, Ibor snorts a derisive laugh.

Murdoch turns his steady gaze in the direction of first Fallax and then Ibor, once again holding his tongue. He then turns back to Starhl, Herger, and Valurel. What reason do you have to give your lives for the girl? What could make her so special? I see a blind, poor girl, a casuality of the Shadow's war machine. What makes her so different than others who have suffered? And suffered without finding such admirable companions such as yourselves? Murdoch pauses. As I have told the snow elf, we have a elven representative of Erethor here in Baden's Bluff. She is wise, much more than ourselves. Convince me this girl is special, and I will risk taking you and your charge to her.

Bowen helps Lodric and Kaela administer to Aislinn. She turns to look at Lodric, her voice grave. Erenlander, there are several other cysts in this girl's body. If the cyst on the back of her neck was the only infection in the past, she suffers more now. The infection has spread throughout her body.

In response, Aislinn begins to moan and writhe, beads of sweat covering her face. She speaks, but her voice is steeped in delerium. A war...screams...steel on steel...a burning plain...it burns me! Aieee! Run! Run! Kaela?! Where are you? Help me! Is that you...in the trees? The trees are so big...it is dark here...the wood watches me...it moves! It is alive!...Kaela, I am afraid. Help me Kaela...I am so scared...so alone...in this dark ravine...in the dark...

Bobitron

Explorer
Hrothgar said:
Bowen looks at Kaela.There are scars here. This is not the first time she has been sick?

"She has been taken by the infection before. I lanced the boil and took care to see it was clean, as Lodric said. She rested for a while and things cleared up rapidly. There was only one at the time, on the back of her neck."

Aislinn starts writhing where she lays and Kaela's calm breaks. Taking the girl in her arms, the tears run down her face as she cradles her. As her voice trails off, Kaela speaks comforting words through her sobs and sets her down softly. Turning to Bowen and reaching out with a shaking hand, she pleads with her. "I can heal any wound I have seen before me, but this infection is not natural. Aislinn has the power to heal others by touch in a mystical manner unlike anything I have seen. I am afraid that the Shadow is somehow punishing her for her powers. The poison is strong in her body to have spread in this way." She looks to the girl hesitantly. "I will start lancing the sores. But we must look for a solution beyond dealing with the symptoms."

Taking out her supplies, she breathes deeply to calm herself before beginning the procedure.

Hrothgar

First Post
Lodric and Bowen aid Kaela as the young woman drains the infection from Aislinn. The young Dornish girl cries out at times, although it is uncertain if she is in pain or in delirium.

Keep the young wench quiet or you will bring the Shadow down upon us! Ibor sneers at Kaela. For the first time, Murdoch replies to Ibor, standing to match the scarred one's gaze, his voice steely, his bearing remarkably regal. Keep your tongue silent Ibor, or I will silence it myself. Do you understand? Ibor scowls at Murdoch and continues to sulk, sitting on the table in the corner.

With the sores drained, Aislinn drifts into a deep slumber, unresponsive to Kaela's ministrations. Looking over Kaela, Bowen sucks in air between her teeth. Young Kaela, look at her eyes! Methinks the infection is here as well. Pulling back Aislinn's eyelids, her white eyes leak a milk white liquid mixed with crimson. In the corner, Fallax sidles up to Ibor, the two lost in low talk. From the occassional phrases that drift from their conversation, the two are apparently discussing Fallax's theories on his archealogical findings in the north and their connection to Aislinn.

A knock sounds on the stone door down the steps that lead into the sewers under Baden's Bluff. Immediately Murdoch inspects the door before returning upstairs with the Erenlander Ensin, the rogue throwing back his hood and whispering to Murdoch, his intense gaze on the Heroes.

Murdoch turns to the Heroes solemnly. Taking a deep breath, Murdoch informs the Heroes of Ensin's news. Jodya has been found on the Worm Docks intact. Your story is true, sent by the Blue Sky Traders if my sources are correct. I am pleased. Honest folk such as yourself are far and few between in this Age of Shadow. Murdoch wipes his mouth with his hand before continuing. However, we may have a problem. Cerano, High Legate of Baden's Bluff, has driven his forces hard the last week. Extra patrols. Inspecting old buildings, seeking our hideouts. The old man seemed more intested in his horrific experiments than in us. Now, I think we know why. Murdoch pauses, chosing his words carefully. Thune the Widowmaker was spotted this morning on the Worm Docks. Supreme tracker of Shadow, his appearance is a terrible omen for us. Never have I heard of him in Baden's Bluff. I wonder if his appearance is tied to you? Also seen entering Cerano's Temple of Shadow was Theiv the Black, a beastly legate of horrific repute. I have heard of the Dorn spending his time in Theros Obsidia, never in Baden's Bluff, but word has drifted to us that he has been scouring the north, looking for some weapon or enemy of Shadow. Still, I don't think either of these two have upset Cerano more than the appearance of Arwen the Raven, Merciful Mother of the Sisterhood of Tender Mercies. She walks with demons, demons that feast on men's souls, they say. I have no doubt that Cerano and Theiv fear her and conspire against her. Our sources say she is keeping her distance from either of the two other legates. She obviously have wind of Theiv's appearance, and possibly what he is searching for. Thune rarely owes allegiance to any, but our sources say he has been seen in the company of Theiv. And you are here as well. I do not think this is any coincidence. And I do not think you can understand the power of the forces arrayed against you.

Murdoch lowers his head and walks back and forth in thought. Your charge, the young Dorn girl, may be something more than all of us realize. I suggest two options. One, we dare the Shadow. Take her to the Elven representative of Erethor. She could inform us of our best course of action and provide us aid. Or, two, we don't risk losing the girl and flee from Baden's Bluff. But where? With what aid? Do any of you have sources, friends, that could help? Either way, we must decide quickly. Three powerful legates and their insidious minions. We must move quickly and decisively before our opponent's chess pieces are arrayed against us! She is your charge. What course of action should we take?

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
After Aislinn's boils are lanced, Lodric places his hands upon her, and speaks a few words.

ooc: use heroic ability spontaneous spell to cast cure minor wounds

He then turns to Murdoch If what we fear is correct and all these forces of Shadow are here seeking the girl, then I fear we have but one option. We have no contacts, no resources here - that is why we sought you. It is only the elves who might be able to help us and give Aislinn the time to understand her connection with Aryth and how it may be used to resist the Shadow.

Bobitron

Explorer
Kaela's voice is full of concern for the girl. "I think Lodric speaks to the heart of the matter. We have no other option than to meet the elven representative. Her life is at stake if these infections continue, and I would rather face down a wretched legate to gain insight into Aislinn's fate than leave her to face it in the woods hiding."

"Agreed," Valurel says, nodding to Kaela. "Meeting this representative of my people should be our course of action. If anyone can help the girl in this place, it would be an elf of Erethor." He stands taller and prouder when he speaks than his usual defensive crouch.

Last edited:

Remove ads