Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 4, Pursuit

Bihlbo said:
Mardo looks as though he just realized something and stands up straight, dusting the remnants of travel off of his jacket. "Valurel, I'm sure it's nothing more than a cooking fire or someone making charcoal, no doubt."

"Nothing more than a cooking fire? You have some strange notions about the ferocity of this world we live in. In a place that will chew you up and spit you out, there is no such thing as nothing more than a cooking fire," Valurel growls fiercely.

Bihlbo said:
As he speaks, Mardo reaches deep into his cart and pulls out a very small pack. He unfolds it and retrieves a folded piece of black silk. "Many reasons a fire might be smoking in the middle of the day. A kiln or forge, maybe. I could check it out for you though, since you seem to sense danger from some direction." With the black silk tied around his head, and the dark brown jacket, Mardo seems strangely confident, for a cheese trader.

"Do you plan to simply walk up to that fire and introduce yourself?" Valurel asks, almost laughing. "There is always danger about! None of us have had a good nights sleep in recent memory. We have been hunted by all manner of evil and vicious creatures. We have been betrayed by those we called friend! Maybe along the river where you conduct your business it is easy for you to slip under the Shadow's attention but that is not the way of things out here!" Valurel snarls.

Turning away from his companions, he sits down hard, arms resting on his knees and head hung in exhaustion.

Bihlbo

Explorer
With a look of concern, Mardo steps over to where the elf sits in the grass and leans down to whisper quietly into his ear. "No friend, nothing is easy. But nothing is hopeless, either. I put a good face on things because I know how easy it is to slip into despondancy as soon as the danger becomes evident. I'm as worried as you, but I won't let it make me give up"

Standing again, Mardo pulls his jacket tighter and sets off calmly toward the rising smoke. "Join me if you change your mind, sir."

Bobitron

Explorer
Mardo's comments seem optimistic to Kaela as well after their long journey, but she isn't willing to dismiss hope as easily as the feral elf.

"Perhaps," she says softly. "Don't blame Valurel for his doubt, Mardo. We have seen much and there has been precious little to bring hope into our hearts in recent days." Her eys are sad as she sees Aislinn's face in her mind.

"Herger is right. Stealth is our best ally right now. Valurel, please, could you go ahead and see what the fire is? Mardo, please be cautious. Let him go ahead and return to us with more knowledge."

Bihlbo

Explorer
OOC: the key word in my last post was "whispered". Most of that should have been heard by Valurel only. Is there a better way to make that obvious to the reader?

Bihlbo said:
With a look of concern, Mardo steps over to where the elf sits in the grass and leans down to whisper quietly into his ear. "No friend, nothing is easy. But nothing is hopeless, either. I put a good face on things because I know how easy it is to slip into despondancy as soon as the danger becomes evident. I'm as worried as you, but I won't let it make me give up"

Standing again, Mardo pulls his jacket tighter and sets off calmly toward the rising smoke. "Join me if you change your mind, sir."

"Do not confuse exhaustion combined with caution as giving up," Valurel says evenly without looking up at Mardo. "I was merely stating the facts. We've faced dangers that you can only begin to imagine these last few months. I can agree with no plan that throws caution to the wind. Investigating that smoke with little caution and no plan is foolhardy and careless," Valurel adds tiredly.

Krug

Newshound
Starhl waits to see what they decide. "It must be someone confident enough to light a fire. Someone who does not mind being noticed," concludes the barbarian.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Bihlbo said:
OOC: the key word in my last post was "whispered". Most of that should have been heard by Valurel only. Is there a better way to make that obvious to the reader?

OOC: Might I suggest a convention of using a smaller point size for whispered conversation? If not being said to all, maybe put the person or people you are speaking to in an OOC tag just to make it clearer. I admit I missed that it was only to Valurel as well.

Valurel, do you have any suggestions for a plan? It seems that scouting the area first would make sense. I would be willing to do so, but I think we have experienced often enough that moving about alone is not a smart thing. Mardo, do you think you can keep up and remain unseen as we approach the source of the smoke?

"Yes, scouting first is the point I was trying to make. Simply walking up on an unknown situation is too dangerous. I suggest that maybe two or three of us, myself included, sneak up and get a look. If you're concerned about splitting up, the others can stay close and out of sight while we scout," Valurel says, standing back up. He is visibly more calm than he was a few minutes earlier.

"I apologize for my outbursts these past few days. I'm just tired and concerned for Aislinn," he grudgingly admits.

Hrothgar

First Post
OOC: Good roleplaying, guys. I think you've really captured the despair and frustration of the Midnight setting. To move this along, I will assume the 4 people doing the scouting would be Valurel, Mardo, Starhl, and Lodric. I realize, Toric, you suggested 3 people, but I don't want to leave anyone out that seem the sneaky type and I want to move this along. :)

The quartet moves through the dry grasses stealthily, staying to the lees in the land and hiding in the longer grasses. Kaela and Herger follow more slowly, staying back to avoid being spotted by unfriendly eyes. The distance to the source of the rising smoke is great; several miles pass and even Herger's slow moving bulk disappears in the distance.

By late afternoon in the oppressive heat, Valurel, Mardo, Lodric, and Starhl crest a small rise, moving low through the grasses. To the west, the sun hides behind a mass of black clouds. To the south, a dark smear occludes the horizon, perhaps a forest far to the south. Peering through parted grasses, the quartet looks down the hill on the source of the smoke and the remains of a massacre. The remains of four sod homes lie in ruins, the heavy earthen structures ripped apart by some great force. Smoke rises from the interior of two of the sod homes. The sod homes are clustered about a village square of hard packed earth. Surrounding the village, a small amount of the Erenland plains have been claimed as farmland, green corn growing high, potatoes greens rising from the ground.

Partly hidden in the grass, two crumpled figures covered in rags lay sprawled on the ground, their bodies savagely hacked apart. Wooden clubs lie their outstretched hands.

A bloody track in the earth leaves a muddy trail lthat leads south down a steep descent to a river valley. The descent is so steep, the Heroes cannot see its bottom from their vantage point. However, to the south at the bottom of the descent, lies the river valley of the River Orh. Mardo smiles in spite of the scene below him, remembering his times on the mighty river. Mardo's smile quickly fades. There, near the River Orh lies an overturned wagon, one of its axles split.

From the bottom of the river valley nearest the descent and hidden from the Heroes' eyes comes a heavy grunt and a loud snap, followed by a greedy, wet gobbling.

What do the Heroes do?

To explain why the Heroes cannot see the bottom of the descent, I drew a picture. The Heroes are at X, the village at Y, and the sounds heard at Z. From the Heroes vantage looking down the hill, they cannot see Z. The drawing is not to scale.

X
xxx
xxxxxxxxx Y
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Z River Orh valley
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

OOC: My suggestion of three was just a number I figured Valurel would toss out there. It was by no means an attempt to leave anyone out who wants to be part of it. Heck, far as I'm concerned, everyone can go...except Herger. Kinda hard to hide a mini-mountain...

IC:
Arguments of a short time ago are completely forgotten as Valurel gazes upon the scene of the massacre. The savaged bodies nearby quicken his pulse, forcing him to muster all his will to surpress his feral instincts. His first thought is to blindly charge down the hill and tear into whatever still moves. Instead he turns to Starhl, Mardo and Lodric. "More death," he pratically growls. "Let's get a look at what's down there," he manages to say before creeping cautiously towards the smoking ruins of the village.

Remove ads