Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 4, Pursuit

Bobitron

Explorer
"Mardo." Kaela's voice is pleasant despite the daunting task ahead. "Won't you come along with us?" she says lightly. "You seem a useful fellow, and we could sure use another companion in these difficult times."

She looks about at her friends. "I'm going to tell him."

The next ten minutes is spent reflecting on the events of the past month; all the way from the beginning. The murderous scene in Caft, the fight against the spectral warriors, the underground resistance, meeting the elves, even the sinking feeling when the wizened old Fallax betrayed the heroes; everything poured out in an earnest tale.

"You are all right. We should go along the road. We have to leave the river behind. The only decision in front of us right now is the one only our new friend can make."

Kaela looks to the gnome expectantly. "Please consider my words quickly. I think you can see why we are so anxious to find Aislinn."

When Kaela states her intention of telling the gnome the tale, Valurel almost protests but quickly decides to remain silent. He hopes her trust in him is not misplaced. They had all already been betrayed by one who had traveled with them. Valurel was not eager to see it happen again.

While Kaela spins her tale, the elf turns his attention to the riverbanks yet again, this time scouting a good location to put ashore.

Hrothgar

First Post
Mardo can only wonder what desperation, what fear, could drive a group of miscast heroes in an Age of Shadow to confide such terrible and damning secrets in a river trader. What horrors could await these Heroes as they travel south? And, most importantly for Mardo, what horrors did these Heroes bring with them up the River El? Could their pursuers be lying in wait in Elswier? If their stories were true, what terrible tortures did any of the Shadow's agents perform on the people of Elswier? And what would they do to the gnome that took the Heroes upriver? As glib of tongue and strong of will as Mardo was, what would he do as his bones were splintered, his eyes burned with white hot iron, his skin peeled from his quivering flesh? A cold shudder runs through the gnome. The gruesome practices of the legates and their dire agents were well known to one as well traveled as Mardo.

The choice was clear. Venture with these desperate people in a seemingly hopeless quest across Erenland, or return north on the River El, trusting to his own skills to bypass pursuers of this motely crew. Both ways were dangerous. Both ways could potentially lead to the end of Mardo's life as he knew it.

Disembarking from the water craft, the Heroes stand on the southern bank of the river waiting for Mardo's reply. To the south, the plains of Erenland begin to waver under the warm sun. As seemingly peaceful as they appeared now, what horrors do they hold?

It is Mardo's choice to make.

OOC: Bihlbo, what will Mardo decide?

Bihlbo

Explorer
Madro joins the party

The end of the tale brings a dire revelation to the gnome's mind, and the thought is immediately apparent on his face in the dancing shadows of the torchlight. "What an amazing tale... I must admit, nothing so spectacular has ever touched my own life."

Remembering his manners, he mentally rejoins the others, "I'm sorry, my manners seem to be a bit shaken by the majesty of your story! My name is Mardo Fintwicz - yes I am from the Fintwicz family, you've most likely heard of us. Long-respected traders in this region and makers of fine cheese." His face darkens just a bit again, "It looks as though I have little choice but to join you on this journey. From the sounds of it, that peasant who thought I was stealing his boat would be more than willing to implicate me in any kind of dark deeds, and he did see all of you joining me. I may be able to convince them that I was your captive, if not too much harm has been done... but... legates don't change their minds once decided."

Seemingly lost in thought he mutters in the common tongue of his people, "No, they don't. Father, forgive me if I've ruined your good name but I think I got myself stuck again."

"Okay, I'm in! Will we get moving again in the morning then?" Mardo, as the adventurers now know him, has a look of hopeful determination in his eyes. His crisp, clean clothes and jaunty hat offset his demeanor and make him stand out amongst a group of hardened adventurers. The trader wants a little bit of danger, it seems.

Last edited:

Hrothgar

First Post
Quickly, the Heroes assist Mardo in bringing his small craft to shore under the fallen oak. Pulling the craft upshore amongst the gnarled roots of the fallen giant, the craft is secured from moderate floods and hidden, at least from casual eyes.

OOC: What will the Heroes do with the stolen craft? Let it drift back downstream? Sink it? Stow it?

Even though the sun's morning rays weakly penetrate the overcast sky, the plains begin to swelter. Soon, the southward traveling Heroes are covered in sweat, dust clinging to their skin. The tall grass chafes the arms and legs of the passing Heroes, and Mardo often finds himself standing on tiptoe to scout the surrounding land. Valurel and Starhl take the lead, leading the Heroes through small wooded vales or ravines that have eroded from past rainfalls to keep the Heroes in the shade and hide them from prying eyes.

Almost seven miles south of the River El, the Heroes crest a small rise and stop, hot and tired. There, no more than a mile away, a dirt track winds like an open wound through a shallow depression in the plains. From the Heroes vantage, nothing appears to be using the broad track as far south and west as even Valurel's and Mardo's sharp eyes can discern. Spaced intermittenly along the road are poles of various heights. From this distance, it is not obvious what is mounted on the smaller poles, but dark thoughts course through the Heroes' minds. From some of the larger structures, it is obvious what they support: gibbet cages, those horrible metal cages that hold captives until they slowly die of starvation.

OOC: How do the Heroes proceed?

"Leave the boat on the water. It will either drift back from whence it came or sink. We should waste no more time here," Valurel says quietly.

Once the group begins traveling south, Valurel takes the lead with Starhl, his gaze sweeping the path ahead for any signs of danger.

When the poles hung with cages come into sight, Valurel's face turns ashen in anger. "No living thing should be treated in such a way. As much as I would like to help whoever has been treated thus, I cannot recommend it. We must steer clear of our enemy and remember our greater mission, that of recovering Aislinn," Valurel says with more passion than anyone has ever from him in the past.

maddmic

Explorer
Herger nods to the elf. "I agree. We have spent too much time here. We must let the raft go and what will be, will be."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As they travel south, Hergers mind wanders to Aislinn. He's curious as to how she's holding up and what plan Fallax has in store. As they walk, he looks to Kaela. She was quick to trust the little one, but then she had really been the first one to accept him. He thought about the pain that she dealt with having lost Aislinn too. Perhaps she was in more pain than he, but she held up well. He admired that.

The elf was as he had been since the day that Herger helped the fleeing band. Silent and determined. He looked to the barbarian and he too hadn't changed much. He thought at one point that this band was a bit too somber in their daily lives, but now he understood. Their task was great and filled with many trials. Things were not easy. Perhaps Valurel and Starhl were just dealing with things the best that they knew how.

Hergers gaze then fell to Lodric. He had joined the band most recently and Herger felt most akin to him. Yet the man who had been so outspoken and hopeful had changed. Since the day that Fallax had turned on them, he was different. He kept to himself more and more as the days passed. Herger wondered if Lodric would ever be the same after all that had happened.

He was lost in though when he noticed the small one struggling. This gnome was a curious one. So lighthearted and seemingly without a care. He was a likable sort, but Herger was afraid that the little one had not understood completely what he had become a part of. Their cause was a noble and just one, but with it came many perils. He had wanted to carry the gnome so that he didn't have to struggle as much, but the giant thought better of it. He did not know how proud of a fellow this one was, nor did he care to become attached to another person whom he might let down.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As they stood on the rise, Herger looked into the distance. He didn't immediately see anything except for the barren scar that cut through the plains. As he scanned the land, his attention turned to the cages. He stared in silence until the elf spoke. Looking as Valurel, the giant shook his head. "I understand your concern my friend, but I must tell you from experience that there is not a lonlier place on this world than that. I don't expect you to understand, but I cannot let anybody in those things live like that. It is in our path for a reason and we should set them free if there are any poor souls in there. I know that you all helped Starhl and I when we had been left to our deaths back in Baden's Bluff, but that time by ourselves is something I can't explain. I will not let them die like this if they are still alive."

With that, the giant begins to move down the rise to the cages.

"Fool!" Valurel hisses as the giant lopes off towards the poles. "Freeing them to only be re-captured later and put to an even worse fate. The Shadow is likely watching and this smells of a trap. Aislinn is our priority, much as it may pain you to turn away from this!" That said, Valurel casts a final glance towards Herger and then at the rest of his companions before turning and heading south, on a course taking him away from the poles and cages, or at worst parallel to the road and poles, far enough away to remain unseen.

Last edited:

maddmic

Explorer
Herger continues to walk towards the closest cage. Responding, he simply says, "They may have seen Aislinn, or her captors. They could've also seen the orc tracker whose tracks we have lost due to the rain."

"If you get captured or killed on this fool's errand of yours, it will not matter if they have seen Aislinn," Valurel says as quietly as possible across the ever widening distance between he and Herger.

Remove ads