• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mike Mearls Happy Fun Hour: The Warlord

Emerikol

Adventurer
Non-magical healing is pretty much baked into the game from day one so I don't see it being that much of a jump to have a natural healing warlord.

I'm anti-non-magical healing personally but the game supports the concept.

It interests me that 5e found a middle ground that really struck a positive nerve in the general gaming community. It's obviously a successful game. It's a ground though that seems antithetical to me. In my sternest old many voice I'll just say I don't get the younger generation.

How are you enjoying 5e Zardnaar? Any house rules? Maybe send me a private message as it's probably off topic.

Where I am sitting now is warlord=non magical bard, 2 sub groups initially.

Inspiring Warlord gets bard dice

Tactical gets battlemaster dice and is focused on buffing individuals, the inspiring one is the group buffer.

They get a few extra dice as they level up over Bards and Battlemaster.

Both use the Warlock chassis replacing invocations with basically 4E type powers. They get a big effect 2/short rest like warlocks basically being a spell effect at least in scope.

An effect like haste would map to the tactical warlord while 4E powers become "invocations", if they had a charisma rider on it they are for inspiring ones, int rider tactical (like how certain invocation are tied to specific warlock pacts).

In other news posters that spam citations get added to ignore list (citation).

Not a bad idea, give a Fighter some might-as-well-be-Bardic-Inspiration dice and let them give bonus to other people using those dice when they attack or on your turn to make them do something.

pretty sure you just ignored me though

And how would you suggest one character go about getting all of those without totally gimping themselves?
Especially given two of those are seperate subclasses of the same class.

Do you honestly need all of those to feel effective and do what you want to do?

Zardnaar

Legend
Because I feel it would be better served as subclasses.

Hell, there already are a few that are based around support. Mastermind (which apparently doesn't count because rogues do too much damage), Wolf Totem Barbarian (which doesn't count because it can cast a whole 2 spells), Ancestral Guardian, (which doesn't count because it can cast 1 spell and people can't stand reflavorings) Banneret (which doesn't count because it doesn't give attacks), and Cavelier (which doesn't count because it attacks too much).

I don't thinkk the Warlord concept is a great concept but its not really served well by being a subclass (along with Psions, artificer and alchemist).

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Not a bad idea, give a Fighter some might-as-well-be-Bardic-Inspiration dice and let them give bonus to other people using those dice when they attack or on your turn to make them do something.

pretty sure you just ignored me though

Do you honestly need *all* of those to feel effective and do what you want to do?
Not at all. I can get by with a Mastermind/Bard/[Sorcerer/Warlock] spamming Haste and bonus action help. But that's very janky, doesn't fit the flavour (especially with all the clearly magical benefits of haste) and takes forever to come online. Not to mention comes with a tonne of abilities I don't want, yet have to basically pay for with my levels.

Not at all. I can get by with a Mastermind/Bard/[Sorcerer/Warlock] spamming Haste and bonus action help. But that's very janky, doesn't fit the flavour (especially with all the clearly magical benefits of haste) and takes forever to come online. Not to mention comes with a tonne of abilities I don't want, yet have to basically pay for with my levels.

and why wouldn't a Subclass that can do those things help you?

I don't thinkk the Warlord concept is a great concept but its not really served well by being a subclass (along with Psions, artificer and alchemist).

I like the idea, mainly because I love support characters.

I just think people are asking waaaaay too much and aren't looking for alternate solutions aside from their pet ones. very much aware of the hypocrisy, thank you

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Again, that sounds like a problem with your idea, not with the subclasses themselves.
Well that's just flat out the wrong approach.
You're basically saying "If you can't make you character concept, you're character concept's wrong." Rather than "If you can't make your character concept, there's an unexplored niche a class could fill."

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
No, the game explicitly has magic. That doesn't, and shouldn't, mean everything in the game has to be magical.

I feel the need to point out that the game is, in fact, explicitly magical. As in the rocks, the trees, the air you breathe, and even the people you talk with, are all filled with magic. PHB page 205, if you feel like reading.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I feel the need to point out that the game is, in fact, explicitly magical. As in the rocks, the trees, the air you breathe, and even the people you talk with, are all filled with magic. PHB page 205, if you feel like reading.
Filled with, yes. Actively use, no.

Remove ads