• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mike Mearls Happy Fun Hour: The Warlord

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
It makes more sense to define the Tactical Focus as within 10 feet (3 meters) from any particular ally. (In other words, a 10-foot aura centered on an ally.) This allows for 3-dimensional combats, and for other allies to enter the Focus.

Meanwhile, the warlord can simply switch allies if wanting to change the location of the Focus.

Finally, it is simpler to visualize in mind style. But also doable on grid.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
I still feel the paladin (½ caster) makes a better design space for building a warlord, than the eldritch knight (⅓ caster) does.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Are you not the guy who wants D&D to not really support deities though? I mean, I get that, but it's also never ever going to be a mainstream well-supported option.
D&D isn't mainstream, and likely never will be. Though, I suppose a D&D that didn't step into the minefield of vaguely promoting polytheism, and instead eschewed all mention of religion, just might have a better shot at going mainstream. :shrug:

Over the years, I've seen many players put off by the religious aspect of the Cleric and Paladin. Moreso than put off by Demons & Devils, now that I think of it.

After hearing these podcasts and seeing some of the spells in Xanathars I wonder if they actually playtest the games in the office ....
It's clearly an idea in the earliest stages. But I do find seeing the process interesting, and it is consistent with the kind of material we've seen from him over the years. I've always felt like his stuff exudes a certain enthusiasm and a sense of improvisation, and I feel like I've seen where that comes from, now.

Still, abjuration is a miscellaneous assortment of different kinds of magic. The only thing these spells have in common is, they are all protective and restorative.
Magic that's all protective isn't miscellaneous, it's protective. Intent is significant in magic in a way it's not in physics. ;)
Though I'm used to abjuration being protect or dispel, more than protect or restore. 'Abjure' means to reject.

I still feel the paladin (½ caster) makes a better design space for building a warlord, than the eldritch knight (⅓ caster) does.
And the Cleric or Bard, better still. In the sense of spending a budget of spell-equivalency. (Though, I's still a little surprised that's what he's working from.).

Also, the alternate recharge scheme of the Warlock might be more useful as a touchstone...

Interestingly, Mike's proposal touches on a lot of what these builds supposedly bring to the table.
There's nothing 'supposedly' about it, 7 of them were in B&W, built right into the class options, and used certain exploits better than others. The 8th, ironically, is probably the most-talked-about.

But, sure, in the sense that a hypothetical 1/3rd caster with a dozen 1st-3rd level spells, at least one of which came from each of 6 of the 8 schools would "touch on a lot of what the wizard brings to the table."

As simple as Mike's Warlord is
I would characterize it as oddly, perhaps needlessly, complex.
it already incorporates a huge chunk of what the former Warlord class was able to do, thematically. (At least as described by Tony.)
I once ballparked the BM as representing about 3% of the Warlord, I might spot this attempt a few more percentage points. Maybe even low double-digits - heck, if it's completed and the ultimate expression of the sub-class turns out to be just superlative, it might even rise to a 1/3rd Warlord in the sense the EK gets characterized as a 1/3rd-caster. That'd be pretty sweet.
Even then, though, it'd just tick the Bravura box. Because it is ultimately still a fighter, and the Bravura was the faux-fighter-MC 'build' that'd off-tank.

Yeah, that would have been useful. Feels vaguely similar to the spell points mechanic, which ended up a very low-tier optional rule. On the other hand, you may still want to be able to use those dice in different ways, and even if they had a universal system on the design side, it may not manifest that way in what the player can see (the actual implementations), and what the player can see is what users have to work with when designing their own subclasses.
Nod. There seems to be a "expendable dice mechanic" being vaguely suggested. Maybe it's in a black box, and, unlike the spell-slot/damage table, they haven't published it, or maybe it's just a matter of convergent designs suggesting a connection that isn't really there. :shrug:

The use of dice you choose when to use up for some benefit based on the result of rolling that die seems to have cropped up several times. Maybe I see it more because of MDD's in the first playtest having had several incarnations, and the playtest proficiency even having been a die for a bit. CS dice are the obvious example, but there's also bardic inspiration and, of course, HD, in the PH. The there's rolled but not expended dice-as-modifiers like bless/guidance. Then there's re-rolls, like inspiration, and, taken proactively, even Adv/Dis, again.
If he does add these dice to another fighter sub-class, without just making them CS dice in some sense, that'd be yet another. If they get used for a full class years down the road, then, just like CA consolidated multiple modifiers and modifier-negators into one simple bonus, and Adv/Dis eschewed modifiers almost altogether, all those uses of dice, almost like dice pools in some other games, might be ripe for simplification & consolidation.

The Int damage bonus is on top of Str/Dex. He did mention that it might be too powerful, but set it aside as an issue to be dealt with on Jerry's side (general balance adjustments) or playtesting.
I'm glad to hear he gets to delegate something!

He did actually mention that he considered the possibility of adding it to the attack roll rather than the damage roll, but had decided against it, after other considerations. I don't remember exactly what he said, though.
Since it is a fighter build that's apparently supposed to invest more in INT and/or CHA, letting it shore up the fighter's own attack rolls if he prioritizes one of those over STR or DEX doesn't sound like a bad idea. So long as it doesn't lead to dumping STR like the 'lazy' build could (fine for that archetype, not plausible for a fighter sub-class).

But, yeah, it seems to move in the opposite direction from the general idea, even of the Bravura. Now keying buffs of INT or CHA, certainly.

The Warlord was being explicitly designed for those who are more interested in the tactical nature of the game, and thus more suited to those who might use miniatures and maps. Having a more complex design was explicitly considered OK.
'Tactical' <> 'grid dependence.'
That conflation has been going since the edition war, heck, since criticisms of 3.0 or maybe even C&T, for that matter (I kinda lost track of 2e around that time).
And, like I alluded to, above, complexity is something that has to be worth it, it's a side-effect you put up with to get where you want, not a goal in itself.
So, yeah, a more complex design for a Warlord class? Certainly. Just not needlessly so. Leverage as much as you can out of any added complexity. And, really, that dovetails with adapting the class to 5e.

There'd be less added complexity to the game, overall, for instance, if instead of creating entirely new sub-systems for yet another mutually-incompatible fighter sub-class, the Warlord class were done with Gambits (of which Maneuvers could be the Apprentice-tier sub-set) that used CS (or 'Inspiration') dice, in a ratio to the BM, comparable to the Full-Caster:EK ratio.

Last edited:

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Heh. Instead of ‘insightful’, Mearls accidentally wrote ‘inciteful’.

Here is an example of ‘Inciteful’ Heal:

‘You lazy maggot, move your ɑss!’

mellored

Legend
IMO: call it "zone of control"

Otherwise, I like the basics.

As an action, you set up a zone.
As a reaction, you can do stuff in that zone. Some maybe 1/battle.
You get extra reactions as you level.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
The brainstorming by Mearls is focusing too much on nonmagical characters.

A more fleshed out warlord needs to orchestrate magical attacks as part of the team effort.

The tactical focus idea is terrible IMO. First off he is thinking in 2 dimensions. Second, you are a Warlord, you don't focus on areas, you focus on leading people.

Saying the BM can already grant attacks is true, however the ability is terrible due to action economy. Maybe other people use it, but I haven't seen it.

After hearing these podcasts and seeing some of the spells in Xanathars I wonder if they actually playtest the games in the office or even bother to check in on the community. The ideas presented here by posters are better than what came out.

You don't actually understand tactics, do you? Spend some time playing chess, or go, and you'll realize that the map is just as important as the combatants, and possibly even more so. You need to consider threat zones, future conflicts, opportunity attacks as people move, traps, terrain features, regions with advantage or disadvantage, AOE radiuses, and much, much more. The people occupying those squares are just one element of the overall consideration (and their own players, at that, which means that creating opportunities for them to exploit is much better than just telling them what to do).

You do need to handle the 3rd dimension, but I'm not sure you need to get any fancier than 4 contiguous square to achieve that. Overcomplicating rules for edge cases is an explicit anti-pattern.

D&D isn't mainstream, and likely never will be. Though, I suppose a D&D that didn't step into the minefield of vaguely promoting polytheism, and instead eschewed all mention of religion, just might have a better shot at going mainstream. :shrug:

Over the years, I've seen many players put off by the religious aspect of the Cleric and Paladin. Moreso than put off by Demons & Devils, now that I think of it.
False equivalency in order to create a strawman to attack. That was clearly not how he was using the term, and you are arguing in bad faith.

There's nothing 'supposedly' about it, 7 of them were in B&W, built right into the class options, and used certain exploits better than others. The 8th, ironically, is probably the most-talked-about.
'Supposedly', in the sense that I do not have comprehensive knowledge of how the class was built and integrated into the 4E system. All I have to go on is your descriptions, which are clearly just summaries. There could very well be details that alter the degree of similarity, but since I have no access to them, I'm being conservative in my assertion.

On the other hand, if you assert that those descriptions are fully complete, then you're confirming my statement, and discrediting your own dismissal further down your post.

I would characterize it as oddly, perhaps needlessly, complex. I once ballparked the BM as representing about 3% of the Warlord, I might spot this attempt a few more percentage points. Maybe even low double-digits. At best, when it's finished, it could tick the Bravura box. Because it is ultimately still a fighter, and the Bravura was the faux-fighter-MC 'build' that'd off-tank.
I really am surprised at you characterizing this build as "needlessly complex", given the background of comparing this to a 4E class. Further, at this stage, it's less complex than the Eldritch Knight that it was framed on, so you characterizing it as such comes off as merely antagonistic for the sake of it.

mellored

Legend
It makes more sense to define the Tactical Focus as within 10 feet (3 meters) from any particular ally.
Why not just allow both?

Zone of Control: As an action, you can choose area or a target creature. If you choose a creature, your zone of control extends 5' from the target and remains centered on the target if it moves.
At level X your zone size increases.."

So you can say "I'm watching the doorway." or "I'm watching the dragon."

Remove ads