• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mike Mearls Happy Fun Hour: The Warlord

Tony Vargas

Legend
Heh. Instead of ‘insightful’, Mearls accidentally wrote ‘inciteful’.

Here is an example of ‘Inciteful’ Heal:

‘You lazy maggot, move your ɑss!’
Heh. First 4e party I was in, we had backstories that included several of us being childhood friends. My Warlord and the Rogue had that kind of relationship where we'd throw insults at eachother. The first time I used an Inspiring Word to stand up a dropped ally, it was him: "Get up Stig, no one's buying the possum routine!" The other characters he had different relationships with.

IMO: call it "zone of control"

Otherwise, I like the basics.

As an action, you set up a zone.
As a reaction, you can do stuff in that zone. Some maybe 1/battle.
You get extra reactions as you level.
I think there was one Warlord exploit that did that. Created a Zone in a Wall area that did something for allies in it.
Complicated (OK, not as complicated as spelling out Wall for just the one power), not worth it for the perk, IIRC, and, well...
Zones could be dispelled, so, just, weird.

Yeah, they can't all be gems. ;(

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
The warlord has to heal meaningfully at level 1.

Healing boosts can come later, level 3 and up, as spell slots avail.

But there must be a healing method in place at level 1.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Granting extra attacks remains a desideratum for the warlord brainstorm.

If the extra attack only applies to an ally in the Tactical Focus, thats fine.

Probably the best definition for Tactical Focus is, a 10-foot aura centered on a choice of an ally or a hostile, within 100 feet.

I like the image of the Tactical Focus being able to be a 100 feet away. It reminds me of the medieval conceit of generals on luxurious points of elevation overseeing the battlefield. The warlord can be either aloof or in the mix, depending on the flavor that player is going for. The personal competence in combat makes in the mix an appealing option.

Last edited:

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Why not just allow both?

Zone of Control: As an action, you can choose area or a target creature. If you choose a creature, your zone of control extends 5' from the target and remains centered on the target if it moves.
At level X your zone size increases.."

So you can say "I'm watching the doorway." or "I'm watching the dragon."

I can live with that, but especially a 10-foot radius aura centered on a ‘target creature’.

The 10-foot radius allows better combat space. For example, the auraed ally, a hostile next to the ally, and one or two allies attacking the hostile from behind, plus some moving around, maybe to try get between the hostile and the auraed ally. More tactics.

More over, the 10-foot radius works out to be something like a 25 foot diameter from one side of the aura, plus the space of the auraed creature, to the other side of the aura. This appoximates the ‘wall’ of contiguous squares being 20 feet across.

How about ‘Zone of Focus’. I enjoy the image of the warlord, attentive and alert, and responding to anything that can happen.

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
So whether you like it or not, whatever the Warlord does, it must be able to be a support class option that can do all of the essential support options that a Cleric or Bard can do. Of course, it doesn't need to have the turn undead ability or offensive spell-casting abilities of the cleric nor the illusion magic or superior skills of the Bard.

The problem is, you can't do that in 5e without magic. A Warlord can't remove status ailments like poison or disease. He can't raise a dead ally. He has no access to divination or transportation magic. No access to survival magic like goodberry, create food or rope trick. And at high level, he's going to lack even reasonable buffs and debuffs that can match mindblank, antipathy, or holy aura. There is no way to match these abilities without magic or extreme handwaving.

There is no way to make the warlord match the cleric or bard in 5e without giving him 9 levels of spells. The best you can do it match a paladin, barbarian or ranger in terms of "warrior with special powers", but a character that tries to do a cleric or bard's job without magic is doomed to fail.

Zardnaar

Legend
Granting extra attacks remains a desideratum for the warlord brainstorm.

If the extra attack only applies to an ally in the Tactical Focus, thats fine.

Probably the best definition for Tactical Focus is, a 10-foot aura centered on a choice of an ally or a hostile, within 100 feet.

I like the image of the Tactical Focus being able to be a 100 feet away. It reminds me of the medieval conceit of generals on luxurious points of elevation overseeing the battlefield. The warlord can be either aloof or in the mix, depending on the flavor that player is going for. The personal competence in combat makes in the mix an appealing option.

Put mine up, healing at level 1 its even a generous amount if you look at it.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?625334-Zards-Warlord-2-0

Zardnaar

Legend
The problem is, you can't do that in 5e without magic. A Warlord can't remove status ailments like poison or disease. He can't raise a dead ally. He has no access to divination or transportation magic. No access to survival magic like goodberry, create food or rope trick. And at high level, he's going to lack even reasonable buffs and debuffs that can match mindblank, antipathy, or holy aura. There is no way to match these abilities without magic or extreme handwaving.

There is no way to make the warlord match the cleric or bard in 5e without giving him 9 levels of spells. The best you can do it match a paladin, barbarian or ranger in terms of "warrior with special powers", but a character that tries to do a cleric or bard's job without magic is doomed to fail.

I have not designed some high level exploits but posted my WL. There are high level action surge type things for the entire group.

The inspiring ne might be a mix of the 4E one+ 3.5 Marshal basically powerful auras and 4E type powers/ exploits.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
I like how there are ways that the warlord can heal, that the bard/druid/cleric cant. And visaversa.

It makes healing more flavorful, and a more interesting aspect of the game.

I appreciate how Mearls actualizes flavor into mechanics. He wants the flavor of a tactical character to happen during actual gameplay. Nice.

Why not just allow both?

Zone of Control: As an action, you can choose area or a target creature. If you choose a creature, your zone of control extends 5' from the target and remains centered on the target if it moves.
At level X your zone size increases.."

So you can say "I'm watching the doorway." or "I'm watching the dragon."

Hmm. There are advantages, but also disadvantages, to the idea.

Let's look at the cantrip-like abilities that are predicated on it being a fixed region, rather than tied to a person.

1) Enemies can't make opportunity attacks (OA) against allies moving out of the Tactical Focus area.

If you target an enemy, it mostly means that that enemy cannot ever take opportunity attacks. But it also limits the scope of your ability to provide a safe channel for people to move through, to escape an area of enemies. It feels like a weaker choice.

If you target an ally, it gives them freedom from all opportunity attacks (if you even allow it to work when the ally is never moving 'out' of a given region) for their entire movement. It feels like possibly too strong of a choice?

2) Hitting an enemy in the TF area can be moved 5'. (no saving throw)

If you target an enemy, this means you can perpetually move them on each hit, since the region moves with them. This seems overpowered at first thought, but then again, you can do the same thing to a selected enemy if you shape the region correctly, for up to 4 attacks. It just feels a bit cheap in that you can knock the enemy back any which way without any planning associated with it.

If you place it on an ally, it means basically anyone they hit, they can knock back. Again, it's possible to make this work with the region definition, but it feels cheap without it because it doesn't require any planning. Just tell the barbarian to go hit that guy. It seems to lose the sense of being the tactician.

3) Ambush: As a reaction (by the Warlord) when an enemy enters a TF square, you/allies may move half your speed. Does not use allies' reaction.

This has no real use when placed on an enemy, since they'll always be in the TF square.

If you place the TF on an ally, you get the same effect as if you had placed the region next to the ally, waiting for an enemy to approach them to within melee range. It does require you to figure out which side is their weak side, though, since you can only cover half of the area around them.

4) As part of move, can swap positions in TF area using 10' of movement.

This appears to be pointless for both setting the TF on an enemy and on an ally. The advantage of a position swap is being able to move people several squares at once; they can be up to three squares away from each other.

~~~

Most of what you can do when targeting an individual can be done using the region definition. There are a couple things that don't work quite as well going in the other direction. The feel of how they work when arranged in a region vs targeted on a creature, though, feels more like tactics when in a region, and more like a buff/debuff when targeting a creature.

Targeting a region is more difficult in Theater of the Mind settings, but far from impossible. Target a band between your allies and the enemy. Create a strip through the enemy line that gives an exit route. Focus on this area of the hallway, or the region in front of the door. Focus on the area the boss is standing, and the area behind him leading to the cliff. Just adding some mental 'space' seems pretty sufficient.

If we can think up more ideas of things we can do with the TF area, though (ie: more cantrip-level gambits), it can help define whether creature-targeting is useful, or whether it detracts from the design concept. I'll try to come up with a few.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads