Mike Mearls Happy Fun Hour: The Warlord

Tony Vargas

Legend
I don't think anyone would be upset if it was renamed, and there's probably been at least 10 other good names that have been suggested. And probably another 10 more that where useable.

But until there's something offical to replace it, it's going to be stuck at the last offical name D&D called it, which is "warlord".
The functionality and concept of the class are a lot more important than the name. I mean, the Sorcerer isn't a Sorcerer, literally, but it was an innovative design in 3.0, anyway. The Fighter and Magic-User started off with hopelessly bland and generic names, and the Fighter still has his and the Wizard doesn't. :shrug:

A rose by any other name would still have thorns.

But good alternatives are in short supply - most of the alternatives too strongly imply legitimate authority and/or military rank, or conjure too-modern images - heck, the question came up while it was still in playtest, and nothing better bubbled to the top.

Last edited:

... OK, that's a cue...

weak effort, but better late than never

Nice job dodging the point.

Why is it that everyone who disagreed with you and continues to disagree with you that isn't me has stopped posting in this thread.

FYI, the reason I'm still here is to stop ya'll from patting each other on the back and talking about how right you all are and how wrong everyone who disagrees with you is.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Why is it that everyone who disagreed with you and continues to disagree with you that isn't me has stopped posting in this thread.
You must've missed it, two of the usual suspects, Zard & Rem, were quoted in that 'consensus' observation.

And, I'm not so sure you've tossed that Disagreenade, or maybe just forgot to pull the pin....
Disagreeing would go: "Why, no, level-gating abilities is entirely undesirable, you should be able to choose meteor swarm at first level..."

... or something, it's up to you exactly what.

Rather you're appealing to some hypothetical legion of folks who could make those arguments for you.

But, sure, thanks for keep'n us honest an' all...

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Nice job dodging the point.

FYI, the reason I'm still here is to stop ya'll from patting each other on the back and talking about how right you all are and how wrong everyone who disagrees with you is.

May the thread creator block you 10,000 times for admitting you are essentially trolling us.

Sounds more like to me "Everyone who doesn't agree 100% with you is tired of your crap and has stopped responding because they realize nothing aside from agreeing with whatever you say will get through to you"

Who of the posters making constructive input into the level-gating of the powers of a homebrew warlord class did he miss?

Zardnaar

Legend
Sounds more like to me "Everyone who doesn't agree 100% with you is tired of your crap and has stopped responding because they realize nothing aside from agreeing with whatever you say will get through to you"

Tony is kind of right and we have disagreed a lot over the years.

These forums though are really the wrong place for it though. Get onto Mearls somehow or get a warlord designed ASAP and see if you can get that to him. Once the warlord as fighter lands the odds of seeing a warlord as class essentially evaporates.

Satyrn

First Post
Might be a bit difficult to make a Warlord class if you already use the Warlord name in a fighter subclass...

I know that when I say "I want a warlord" I'm really saying "I want character who's schtick is martial support." And considering that there's been multiple other Warlord fans who have said they're fine with calling a the warlord something else, I really don't think it's an issue that they'd have to name the martial support class something else if a martial support subclass snags the name first

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Is there a 5e third party warlord that folks are generally happy about?

I am quoting you for no good reason. Every time I reply to someone with a quote, this quote comes up. I delete it every time. I am just going to leave it this time and see if that makes it go away.

:erm:

A non-fighty/not very fighty Warlord sounds...

...really really annoying.

Akin to a back-seat driver.

Sure, in the real world we have coaches and instructors but... well maybe its just our table and we assume to roles of adventurers that typically graduated from boot camp. Having someone else telling you you're doing it wrong, the counterpart of 'do it like this its better!', is.. at best annoying. At worst, rather rude! :D

So you're saying Warlord = Life Coach? Yeah, annoying :)

Satyrn

First Post
And, I'm not so sure you've tossed that Disagreenade, or maybe just forgot to pull the pin....
Disagreeing would go: "Why, no, level-gating abilities is entirely undesirable, you should be able to choose meteor swarm at first level..."

Sweet!

It'd be really cool if that catches on and I can brag about coining a new word!

Remove ads