Mike Mearls Happy Fun Hour: The Warlord

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
You're talking about the designers coming up with a good name. I only just realized this with your previous post. I agree, that can be tough.

I was saying I would not reject the theoretical class as "not a warlord" based on its name, and I doubt there's more than a handful fans who would.

On the tangential topic that you weren’t arguing, what about “Captain”?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
On the tangential topic that you weren’t arguing, what about “Captain”?

One of the biggest hurdles a vocal faction has against the Warlord is that he is being bossy and telling them what to do. As such I think any name that evokes a strong connection to authority probably needs dismissed.

Zardnaar

Legend
One of the biggest hurdles a vocal faction has against the Warlord is that he is being bossy and telling them what to do. As such I think any name that evokes a strong connection to authority probably needs dismissed.

I personally don't mind its just something I have seen over the years.
For names I prefer Battle Captain but if converting just use Warlord. I thought of Starlord for spell jammer.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

I get the sentiment, but I’m not willing to dismiss good names because a small percentage of older players have a problem with names that evoke leadership or authority. Having a good, evocative, easily remembered, name, IMO, is more important than having a name that doesn’t annoy anyone.

IMO, there are about 3 options that are genuinely good names, just as names (ie, ignoring real world associations and hyper-nerd feather ruffling)

Noble (which evokes wealth and privilege, and is the least broad option)

Captain (may ruffle some feathers)

Banneret (which is taken)

All three have downsides, but Captain has the least important downside IMO.

Perhaps the best thing about this name would be that Zapp and Kobold wind up retroactively dubbed as warlords. :heh:
LOL I’m sold.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Why not keep warlord then? It's a good name for the class.

The name warlord has a good chance of being taken by Mearls Tactical Fighter Subclass.

In that event we are thinking of what a replacement name would be for a 4e-esqe warlord class.

Remove ads