• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Mike Mearls interview - states that they may be getting off of the 2 AP/year train.

bmfrosty

Explorer
This happened already, but instead of licensing it to a single company, they've given anyone the chance of doing it through DM's Guild. I believe I've seen a Ravenloft Gazetteer floating around there some time ago, and the same could be done with Forgotten Realms, if people wanted to. In time, I expect some publisher to arise as the go-to third party resource for setting material released through DM's Guild, much like we learned to sort gold from garbage in rulebooks from the d20 era.

They're only allowing FR and Ravenloft on DM's guild for now. Eberron, Dragonlance, Greyhawk, Dark Sun, and Planescape are still not allowed.

schnee

First Post
I guess it comes from the heavy metaplot that used to exist, and which they are apparently not doing anymore. The fans were used to a constantly updating story of the setting; to that mindset, a century jump demands a whole lot of metaplot to explain!

I'm glad it's gone, the focus should be on the characters at our table, not Ed Greenwood's.

Vampire had to do the same thing with a version change, the metaplot was strangling what could happen in games, because anything of a certain level of visibility would be 'dealt with' by characters of far greater power than the players.

I'm frankly just bored of all things Faerun. I want bonkers crazy worlds. Not the diluted bloodline of a Tolkien homage.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I'm glad it's gone, the focus should be on the characters at our table, not Ed Greenwood's.

Vampire had to do the same thing with a version change, the metaplot was strangling what could happen in games, because anything of a certain level of visibility would be 'dealt with' by characters of far greater power than the players.

I'm frankly just bored of all things Faerun. I want bonkers crazy worlds. Not the diluted bloodline of a Tolkien homage.

If I could give more XP I would :)

Edit: Faerun is the antithesis of fantastic IMHO. It seems tired and dull. Old foes going through the same old routines... that's why I loved the Zendikar art book. A new world full of mystery and fantastic settings.

Last edited:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Are there any discussions about the products the last few pages, or just about Hasbro and capitalism? Wondering if I should read....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

CapnZapp

Legend
And yet some people still insist WotC needs to make a Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book for 5E, because apparently they need a new book that reprints almost all of the same exact material from all of these previous books from all the previous editions.

I mean it's really important that we find out what's happening currently in Turmish in the 1490s and WotC's doing us a disservice by not writing two paragraphs of sparse details and a trio of adventure hooks and then printing it in an entirely new book for us. ;)
Please spare us the snark.

If they do exactly this everybody would be happy. The crucial thing is to reprint "only" the things that remain relevant (75%? 90%+) and not reprint the factoids which have been rendered obsolete since.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Please spare us the snark.

Nope. Sometimes a little snark is necessary and deserved. And I consider asking WotC to waste their time reprinting relevant text into a new book that they've already printed before in a previous book just because some players don't want to look through them... especially considering it seems as though WotC has no desire to make or worry about any Forgotten Realms "timeline canon" anymore... deserves a little snark. ;P

Remove ads