D&D 5E Mike Schley hints at something bigger than Phandelver, The Book of Many Things, and even Planescape!

Mike Schley has illustrated some fantastic books and three new ones from WotC have his maps in them. But what could be bigger than the three listed here? Speculation thread I think is needed.

Hmmm, BIGGER than those? We know the three revised core books will be out next year, but not too much call for Schley's maps in those (other than the possible sample setting in the DMG, but even then that's probably a just a few maps). And we know about the Vecna adventure, but unless that's a lot bigger than expected, I can't see it being BIGGER than than what he's listed. And this and the core books have already been announced, more or less.

I'm going to say the rumored setting revisit we've known has been in the works for a bit. I would lean towards a full-fledged Forgotten Realms campaign setting book like the 3e FRCS or the 5e Eberron setting, filled with lots of Schley maps to illustrate the setting, its countries, and its cities...

darjr

I crit!
Hmmm, BIGGER than those? We know the three revised core books will be out next year, but not too much call for Schley's maps in those (other than the possible sample setting in the DMG, but even then that's probably a just a few maps). And we know about the Vecna adventure, but unless that's a lot bigger than expected, I can't see it being BIGGER than those. And these have already been announced, more or less.

I'm going to say the rumored setting revisit we've known has been in the works for a bit. I would lean towards a full-fledged Forgotten Realms campaign setting book like the 3e FRCS or the 5e Eberron setting, filled with lots of Schley maps to illustrate the setting, its countries, and its cities...
I can't help but think he's using a bit of word play too.

Hmmm, BIGGER than those? We know the three revised core books will be out next year, but not too much call for Schley's maps in those (other than the possible sample setting in the DMG, but even then that's probably a just a few maps). And we know about the Vecna adventure, but unless that's a lot bigger than expected, I can't see it being BIGGER than than what he's listed. And this and the core books have already been announced, more or less.

I'm going to say the rumored setting revisit we've known has been in the works for a bit. I would lean towards a full-fledged Forgotten Realms campaign setting book like the 3e FRCS or the 5e Eberron setting, filled with lots of Schley maps to illustrate the setting, its countries, and its cities....
A mighty FR tome after all?

We do know that Ray Winninger said there was a setting revisit, and we know until Spelljammer that the SCAG was the book that got the most complaints by far, largely for the same reasons, way too small, way too little content. Didn't even get a full proper map of Faerun.

The timing is right with a minor edition change, fitting the traditional time when they put out an FR setting book.

Also with both BG3 and DADHAT coming out this year, an absolutely huge amount of people have been pulled into the Forgotten Realms this year, that previously would have been unfamiliar with the setting. I mean a movie that's earned hundreds of millions of dollars and a video game that will like make over a billion dollars.

I think it's very likely FR Setting book is coming and I'm excited for it.

Remove ads