D&D 5E Mike Schley hints at something bigger than Phandelver, The Book of Many Things, and even Planescape!

The new DMG comes with a giant fold out poster map of whatever example Setting they are using. Mike Schley is the big gun for cartography, so I'm going with Schley doing a map of the Flannaes for the DMG.
I'm not denying that might be the case, but his emphasis on something bigger sounds like a book with lots of his maps, and not just one, no matter how big it may be.

Could be the rumored completely new setting?
I have a horrible feeling both "completely new" settings, the one which was definitely going ahead and the one was being considered, perished when Ray Winninger was fired, because they were something he seemed keen on.

Whereas the super-corporate Microsoft guy now in charge of D&D I suspect is only interested in settings as far as there is "cross-marketing synergy", so existing settings or MtG ones or the like. Obviously I'd be very happy to be wrong.

Hopefully this particular thing means a big FR book. As pointed out, the FR got tremendous pop-culture coverage this year, including literally the best-reviewed PC game in history (!!!) which seems to be selling insane copies. More likely though it is just something we neither expect nor care about.

Scribe

Legend
I have a horrible feeling both "completely new" settings, the one which was definitely going ahead and the one was being considered, perished when Ray Winninger was fired, because they were something he seemed keen on.

I also think it may have died and thats why we got the 'classic settings are not one shots' because they need those classic settings with all the packed in nostalgia (and lore they dont want to fully throw away) to lean on.

Ref: The 'totally not Torment' supposed planescape adventure.

I also think it may have died and thats why we got the 'classic settings are not one shots' because they need those classic settings with all the packed in nostalgia (and lore they dont want to fully throw away) to lean on.

Yeah we already see PS:T fan-favourite characters like Mort are appearing in the updated setting - which is fine - but when it's all stuff like this and no new settings ever, it speaks volumes as to where you, Corporate Decision Maker, Signer-Off Of D&D Projects, see D&D going over the next few years.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi

I think WotC is ready to move on from Faerun etc. Newer players don't care about old settings, it seems to me. Might as well make something fresh without a lot of baggage.

Older players can of course keep playing in the old settings...

Newer players don't care about old settings, it seems to me.
I'm not trying to difficult, right, but what basis do you have for saying that?

If the basis is podcasting, let me just say, I don't think that's a good basis, because if I was launching a D&D podcast, I 100% guarantee I would make up my own setting, on the slim off-chance that it became popular, because they I would be able to sell merchandise, books, etc. without risking causing copyright issues with WotC.

If it's something else I'm genuinely interested to hear what.

Remove ads