• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mike Schley's MASSIVE Forgotten Realms Map From SCAG!

Cartographer Mike Schley has posted the enormous map of Northwest Faerûn from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. It's poster sized (10,200 x 6,600 pixels, or a 34-page PDF) or you can get the Artists Print version shipped to you in the form of a poster map. "This new absolutely massive map of D&D's Sword Coast and Northwestern Faerûn was commissioned by Wizards of the Coast to accompany their 5th Edition D&D game supplement Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. lead your adventures through his exhaustive map of The Forgotten Realms' most Iconic lands and make sure to let it inspire some truly fantastic storytelling."

Cartographer Mike Schley has posted the enormous map of Northwest Faerûn from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. It's poster sized (10,200 x 6,600 pixels, or a 34-page PDF) or you can get the Artists Print version shipped to you in the form of a poster map. "This new absolutely massive map of D&D's Sword Coast and Northwestern Faerûn was commissioned by Wizards of the Coast to accompany their 5th Edition D&D game supplement Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. lead your adventures through his exhaustive map of The Forgotten Realms' most Iconic lands and make sure to let it inspire some truly fantastic storytelling."
The print version ($10-$54, depending on size) is here, and the digital version ($10) is here.

schley_fr.jpg

discosoc

First Post
The book has a map in it. That map may be a cropped version of this map, but that's the map WotC felt was relevant to the Sword Coast for their Sword Coast. Adventurer's Guide. Mike's full map goes beyond what is relevant to the book and it's perfectly reasonable for him to sell his own work. I can't comprehend this level of cynicism.

The book's map is next to useless. Half the sword coast is lost in the fold between the two pages. And why is it so hard to understand that my "cynicism" is nothing more than asking for what we've been getting in the past? Namely, a functional map with the product purchase.

Keep in mind that I have no problem with artists selling their own maps as a way to offer a distinctly different take on it, or maybe they have a map with a specific style (old world, or atlas or whatever). There are some artists out there that I'd gladly pay $200 for a good map. I just have a problem paying for a basic map like this that's halfway included in the book and the artist (or publisher or whoever made the decision) is hitting me up for more money just to get a version that's not a pain to use. You know, like I used to get in pretty much every other similar book since the 90's.

The book's map is next to useless. Half the sword coast is lost in the fold between the two pages..

"Half the Sword Coast"? Might I suggest you look at the map again and revise that percentage downward drastically?

The fold only interferes with Neverwinter and Luskan, and even then not to any major degree. The rest of the fold (I'd say 80 - 90% of it) goes only through the Sea of Swords, catching only a few minor islands in the Nelanther along the way.

It's probably not a good way to attempt to deflect accusations of cynicism by grossly misrepresenting what is in the book...

gyor

Legend
I can see it from both sides. If it was just a reproduction of the map, then yes its silly and pointless to change extra for it, BUT if it goes beyond what that map offers, and it sounds like it does in both geographic area exposed, and extra effort for improved res and maybe some other stuff that goes beyond SCAG is offering, then yes I think its okay to see it online as it effectively an different, but related product.

That being said WotC should provide a lesser SCAG level verison of the map for those that buy it.

And Pirates are going to pirate, most likely because they're broke or because WotC is too stupid to sell PDFs of SCAG, giving those who want a PDF no other options but Pirates (although hopefully they also buy the physical book if they can afford it).

The truth is is that paying for these Maps is a way to support the artist, realistically its a choice and one I have great respect for, as when I have the cash, I like to support the arts.

Personally I'm not likely to buy the map, I would if it was the whole Faerun, as it is I might just skip the SCAG if I take a look at chapters and find I don't like the content. We'll see.

In relation to what?

I was wondering the same thing. The roads are almost exactly the same as they were in 1st and 2nd Editions, before 3e came along and they messed around with the main map.

However, he didn't put the routes marked as "trails" in previous editions, which does make things look a bit odd, especially with the Trade Way starting and stopping again...

joshinminn

Explorer
God some people complain about everything. Thanks, Mike, for your work and dedication. I'll happily pay you for a digital version of the map, over and above what I paid for the printed book. Support artists. Buck up, buttercup.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I just have a problem paying for a basic map like this that's halfway included in the book and the artist (or publisher or whoever made the decision) is hitting me up for more money just to get a version that's not a pain to use. You know, like I used to get in pretty much every other similar book since the 90's.

If you don't like what you're getting, then don't buy the book. If you choose to buy it, you get what you pay for... not for what you thought you should get based upon what you got two decades ago.

discosoc

First Post
"Half the Sword Coast"? Might I suggest you look at the map again and revise that percentage downward drastically?

The fold only interferes with Neverwinter and Luskan, and even then not to any major degree. The rest of the fold (I'd say 80 - 90% of it) goes only through the Sea of Swords, catching only a few minor islands in the Nelanther along the way.

It's probably not a good way to attempt to deflect accusations of cynicism by grossly misrepresenting what is in the book...

It also cuts off a huge chunk of Cormyr. And it doesn't have a scale bar. And the artists obsession with swirly lines makes different land types kind of blend in together a bit. Basically, that first map is presented more as a colorful picture than an actual reference meant to be used for play; form over function.

discosoc

First Post
If you don't like what you're getting, then don't buy the book. If you choose to buy it, you get what you pay for... not for what you thought you should get based upon what you got two decades ago.

That perspective is basically what tells a company that it's ok to offer less for more. I know a lot of people like to just sugarcoat things and say "good job!" even when it's not a good job, but I'm going to tell it like it is (in my opinion). You're free to disagree.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I'm not saying it justifies the cost, but from a quick glance I think Mike's is a significant upgrade to Anna's in terms of quality.

Hardly. Anna's maps are of top-notch quality (just like Mike's, but in a different medium). The reason she isn't charging anything, is because she can't legally—her maps are not officially licensed, and are fan creations. That said, her work is extremely high quality (check out the PDFs).

pukunui

Legend
I was wondering the same thing. The roads are almost exactly the same as they were in 1st and 2nd Editions, before 3e came along and they messed around with the main map.

However, he didn't put the routes marked as "trails" in previous editions, which does make things look a bit odd, especially with the Trade Way starting and stopping again...
Based on something Mike said to me elsewhere, it sounds like he's actually just done the basic terrain map, and WotC has added the place names and such themselves. So we should be asking them why some of the trails are missing.

I'm also curious to know why none of the 5e starter towns are on the map (eg. Phandalin, Red Larch, and Greenest). There are a few other cities I'd put on the map myself, as well, like Everlund and Athkatla. I'd probably also put Loudwater on the map, since it was the 4e FRCG starter town.

It's too bad the tiled versions don't have more detail than the full version. It really feels like it ought to be a real google maps style thing, where you get the basics at a distance, but you get more detail the further in you zoom.

That perspective is basically what tells a company that it's ok to offer less for more.
One of the main reasons TSR went under was because they offered too much. And I'm sure that the guys at WotC would love to offer us more for less, but they aren't able to due to a whole host of reasons, such as rising production costs, shrinking margins, and all that jazz. It's just not all that economical to offer things like a pull-out map and keep the cost reasonable these days.

I know a lot of people like to just sugarcoat things and say "good job!" even when it's not a good job, but I'm going to tell it like it is (in my opinion). You're free to disagree.
"Telling it like it is" and sharing your opinion aren't the same thing.

Remove ads

Remove ads