• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mild Speculation

No Name

First Post
All of the powers under the Martial power source are called exploits. Arcane has spells, and Divine has prayers. I was wondering what they'll call the powers under other power sources. I can't come up with anything halfway serious.

Maybe for Shadow they'll call them at-will umbras and daily umbras or something. (Yeah, I know it's lame :p).

Nothing comes to mind for Ki or Psionic though.

Anax

First Post
I'm kind of keen on the idea of elemental powers being "evocations". Not in the old D&D sense, but in the sense of "calling upon" a spirit--thinking in terms of the Eberron-style elemental stuff, you're calling upon a bound elemental to do stuff for you--so, you're evoking it.

Of course, everybody would scream in outrage at the use of the word evocation in a non-D&D-canonical way. :)

Cryptos

First Post
I was tempted to use 'Invocations' for an elemental class I was making.

I like Katas for Ki and Talents for Psionics.

For primal? I don't know. That's a pretty broad spectrum of abilities from Barbarian to Druid to Shaman. You've got one guy raging out with big, sharp pointy things and messing around with totems, possibly, and another guy hugging trees and turning into bears, and yet another guy channeling nature and/or perhaps even ancestral spirits.

Primal Entreaty? Primal Supplications? Sound too wimpy for the barbarian.

Maybe 'invocation' would work for them. Primal Attunements?

Oooh, wait: Primal Focus?

JPL

Adventurer
Shadow = mysteries
Ki = techniques
Psionic = disciplines
Primal = powers
Elemental = invocations

Last edited:

DemonLord57

First Post
No Name said:
Maybe for Shadow they'll call them at-will umbras and daily umbras

When I first read this, I read this as "Maybe for Shadow they'll call them at-will umbrellas and daily umbrellas." That made me laugh out loud. Very hard. For about five seconds. Imagining those at-will umbrellas... :D

NorthSaber

First Post
JPL said:
Primal = powers
The problem here is that "power" is already used to indicate the class abilities you gain at each level...

I think Primal is the hardest source for this - perhaps something like 'aspect' or 'totem'?

Cadfan

First Post
JPL said:
Shadow = mysteries
Ki = techniques
Psionic = disciplines
Primal = powers
Elemental = invocations
I think the first three are very likely. Mysteries were used for shadow based magic in 3e, techniques seems obvious for a martial artist themed power source, and disciplines has history with psionics.

In fact, the only way I think that disciplines wouldn't be the term is if "disciplines" was used as a term for some other psionic related thing. Like if psions have something akin to the warlock's pact choice, perhaps.

The fourth doesn't seem likely because "power" is already being used as a prominent noun.

The fifth I am ambivalent about, as I lack any information on which to make a judgment.

Remove ads