• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Miniature Paints

Plissken

Explorer
I'm looking for a set of paints. I would like the ones by Reaper/Citadel but they are extremely expensive.

Can anyone recommend a paint set (preferably in dripper bottles) that you can just buy at a craft store that's decent?

Viashimo

First Post
I use Vallejo Game Colour (color?). I'm not 100% sure how the price stacks up, but I can actually find them where I live (no reaper here) and they do come in dripper bottles.

The problem with Games workshop is they use jars that do not seal well. Unless you use up the paints within a year they will dry out.

I prefer any that are a squeeze bottle.

I use Vallejo. They are 4 years old and still good. Lots of color offers and choices also.

Janx

Hero
My wife used Apple Barrel from Hobby Lobby or Michaels. About $1 per bottle, lasts forever.

Now that she's gotten into more painting, she prefers pricier paints.

Overall though, she likes acrylics.

And she's good. She'd do the lipstick and makeup on her minis...

Gilladian

Adventurer
Apple barrel and the other craft paints are just too coarse-grained. They don't lie smoothly on tiny surfaces. And you just CAN'T do a decent wash or drybrush with them, not to my satisfaction, anyway.

You could try tube acrylics, but really, the price of the good mini paints is worth it for their durability, fine grain quality, and the nice bottles. You really only need 12-15 colors to mix your own shades and tints with...

Hobby paints are mixed for a better and more even coat. In truth, they are arcrylic but so is Exterior house paint. Different quality and design however.

If you do go with hobby paints, look at the miniature sites and such. Often you can get "beginners" sets that for 60 dollars buys you over 100 dollars worth of paints and equipment. Some even give books on the subject.

Though it may be bias in brand, White Dwarf magazine also gives lots of ideas about techniques and uses of paint also.

The main issue I have with Citedel paints is how they dry while in the bottle. I read somewhere (maybe there) that by tipping the bottle over so that air can not get into the bottle through the cover it lasts longer. I didn't try since they dried up long ago.

Good lucjk. Painting miniatures is cheaper than a head shrinker.

Remove ads