• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Miniatures and Your Character

Altalazar

First Post
I look first in the miniature collection I already have - I have an interesting variety, and they are all figures I like (or I wouldn't have bought them) - and most (2/3 or more) are unpainted. Then I take the one I like (or I buy one if I can't find one in my collection) and I paint it to match my character concept.

Occasionally I'll find I already have painted a figure that fits the character and I'll use that one, but it is more satisfying to paint it custom-made. That allows for some interesting little character-flourish details.

Some of my players have also done that, either bought their own figures, or found one of mine they'd like to use, and I'll paint them for them (though I'll keep the figure if it is mine).

frankthedm

First Post
I usually just grab a decent looking mini, but occasionally i will make a fig for a charcter i am playing. Here my prettyboy human [for now] sorcerer who likes to hide himself beneath tattered robes and a death mask. The wing is from his liberal use of the 3.0 alter self spell.

Drakmar

Explorer
If I don't care about the game much.. I will just use one of my dnd minis. If I care a little about it I will find a mini that suits mostly. If I am getting a real blast out of the game I will either modify or sculpt a mini from scratch. Sometimes if I really like a mini I will base a character off him. Like my new Warforged Wizard that I am using the Warmachine Lich Warcaster to represent.. and the fact that it looks skeletal explains why people find him creepy.. (and he ahs a char of 7).

I have only really done three full scratch scuplts for games.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads