Minions and Temporary HPs

Kishin

First Post
In before this becomes another 15 page discussion on minion rules despite the fact that Chris Sims explained how the interaction works on page 1....

FitzTheRuke

Legend
It's pretty simple. It's not like you really have to track the HP if you don't want to. Just ask yourself: Is the value of the damage greater than the value of the temp HP given by the leadaer? Yes? Dead minion. No? Live minion. Call it bloodied if you want. Next time it's hit for anything, it's dead.

Fitz

MindWanderer

First Post
malraux said:
That sounds ok, depending on what the damage totals look like. My concern with it is that if the damage output of a single hit is more than 5, its not like the temp hp really help, which takes away power from the leader. IE not doing it makes leader + minions relatively weak.
The same thing is true if a normal enemy is beaten down to just a few hit points and then gets the temp hp. They may not help at all. I see no reason to give minions any additional benefit.

gribble

Explorer
Kishin said:
In before this becomes another 15 page discussion on minion rules despite the fact that Chris Sims explained how the interaction works on page 1....
With all due respect to Chris, granting a minion temp hp (as written) removes a lot of the point of using a minion in the first place. I'm with Mercule that a DM shouldn't ever have to track hp for a minion.

However, I don't think the leaders benefit should just be ignored. I'm with those who think that if a minion with temp hp X takes damage less than X+1, the minion is essentially missed (i.e.: doesn't drop). If the minion takes damage of at least X+1 it is dropped.

Perhaps with the added complication that a minion with temp hp who takes less than X+1 damage from a hit (or other source that doesn't require a hit roll) is blooded, although again this probably just adds complication for minions that isn't really needed/wanted.

malraux

First Post
MindWanderer said:
The same thing is true if a normal enemy is beaten down to just a few hit points and then gets the temp hp. They may not help at all. I see no reason to give minions any additional benefit.
It depends on the damage and temp hp statistical distributions. Minions are at an odd place because they start at 1.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Khur said:
Fantastic question! Minions interact normally with temporary hp rules (that's one reason why they have 1 hp). So, yes, the wyrmpriest makes the minions a little bit badder.

Doesn't this go against the minion preview, where they didn't want the DM's to ever have to track HPs for minions?

cheers,
=Blue(23)

interwyrm

First Post
Giving hps to minions defeats the purpose.

If anything, I'd rather that they get something like if they get 5 temporary hp, it takes a hit that does at least 3 damage to kill them.

No tracking.

Mostlyjoe

Explorer
interwyrm said:
Giving hps to minions defeats the purpose.

If anything, I'd rather that they get something like if they get 5 temporary hp, it takes a hit that does at least 3 damage to kill them.

No tracking.

Or mechanically, any extra HP = one more hit to kill them. It would be easier.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Or, you could combine the minion temp HPs into a shared pool.

8 minions x 5 temp HP each = 40 HP pool.
A missed attack deals normal damage to the pool.
20 HP left in the pool ("bloodied") = A minion dies.
0 HP left in the pool = A minion dies, and the rest become 1-HP minions again.

Just a thought... definitely a house rule, and a HUGE boost to minion effectiveness, but easier to track than individual minion HP.

-- 77IM

Remove ads