• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

minmax Baldur's Gate 2

mooby

First Post
What do you think is the best race/class combo for the protagonist? I'm going with an elven fighter/mage. i think this will be pretty lethal

Enforcer

Explorer
If you're going to have a full party, it really doesn't matter. All races and classes can kick ass.

Though, my dwarf fighter who dual-wielded axes and warhammers was the most fun. By the end of Throne of Bhaal, he was just disgusting...five stars in axe and hammers, 3 stars in 2-weapon fighting, and something like 275+ hp. He was pain incarnate. I also beat the game as a monk, a druid, a bard, a thief, a paladin, a ranger, and a cleric (I played a lot, but no wizards), so I know that anything's workable.

If you want to solo (as in only one character), I've heard a dual-classed kensai/mage is the way to go.

Welverin

First Post
I played through the series with a paladin, which worked well enough for me.

I'd suggest a single class magic user or cleric, since good ones can be a bit lacking and there are enough good fighter type NPCs floating around to recruit.

p.s. when I say good I'm not talking about alignment

LostSoul

Adventurer
I had a Fighter/Mage/Thief that did quite well for himself. A little weak at lower levels (that's what the bow is for) but after I while I got used to clearing out dungeons by myself. Backstab rocks.

Henry

Autoexreginated
First time I played it - Human Monk. Abolutely kick-butt. Unlike 3E, the 2E Baldur's Monk can really tear up the scenery.

Second time - a human sorcerer. Again, no problems in combat-readiness, due to the obscene about of firepower offered by magic missile, agannazar's scorcher, fireball, ice storm, cone of cold, mordenkainen's sword, and limited wish.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Some of the most powerful BG2 race/class combos are...

Human Inquisitor: The inquisitor is the best paladin class kit. Plus, if you take this class you'll be able to use the Holy Avenger, which is one of the single most powerful weapons in BG2.

Half-orc Barbarian: The barbarian really is a powerful class in BG2; he's immune to backstabs, he's fast on his feet, and his rage ability makes him immune to things like domination and level drain. Pick half-orc as your race so that you can get 19 Str and 19 Con. Put as many proficency points as you can in two-weapon fighting, and then you can fight with the Celestial Fury katana in one hand and the Equalizer longsword in the other. Alternatively, you can replace this with the Berserker class kit, which is similar to the barbarian.

Human Monk: As Henry said in his post, the Monk class in BG2 is absolutely devastating. Although they aren't real powerful when the game begins, at higher levels they are easily one of the most powerful classes in BG2. You can't go wrong playing as a monk.

Elf Archer: The Archer is the best ranger kit in the game, and capable of dealing lots of damage from range. Max out your proficency in shortbows so you can use Gesen's short bow (which never runs out of arrows) or choose longbows and pick up the Quiver of Plenty in Throne of Bhaal. Since elves get bonuses when using bows and have high dexterity, they are usually the best choice for the archer kit.

Half-Orc Kensai: The Kensai is the best fighter kit, and is capable of dealing whopping amounts of damage. As with the barbarian, choose half-orc as your race so you can get 19 Str and 19 Con. Max out your proficencies in either katanas or longswords. You can also max out dual-weilding and fight with both types of weapon.

Human Kensai/Mage: Since neither kensai nor mage can wear armor, these two classes work excellent together (fighter/mages can wear armor, but can't cast spells while the armor is worn). You'll get the attack and damage bonuses of the kensai, in addition to being able to cast spells. The only class that can take advantage of this combo is a human (with 15 Str and 17 Int) who begins as a Kensai, and then dual classes to a mage. Take proficency points in Katana so you can take full advantage of Dak`kon's Zerth Blade, which is the perfect weapon for a kensai/mage.

orbitalfreak

First Post
If you're looking for some cheap action, try a Kensai/Thief dual-class. At high thief levels, when you get the epic abilities, you can choose "Use Anything" to be able to equip any piece of equipment. This includes armor that you would otherwise be prohibited from using by being a Kensai.

I don't remember how dual-classing works, exactly, so I don't know what class to pick first. I think Kensai, and then Dual into thief.

Gnome Berzerker

First Post
orbitalfreak said:
I don't remember how dual-classing works, exactly, so I don't know what class to pick first. I think Kensai, and then Dual into thief.

Yeah, that's how it would work.

The Kensai-Thief and Kensai-Mage are both powerful combos. A Bard can be good too, since Bards cast spells and wear armor.

I prefer a Paladin, since you're a hero, and it's a simple character to play.

Cavalier looks better than it really is (there aren't too many times it's Dragon bonuses come into play), and Inquisitor (can't be Held) is probably the best one of them all. Any of them work, though.

mooby

First Post
Thanks for the help.

I've been quite busy, and have just made it to act 2.

I'm playing a human kensai, he's 8th level right now.

After I hit 9th, I'm not sure if I'll go for Thief or Mage, but I'm definitely going to dual class.

Which is better?

Dark Jezter

First Post
I'd multiclass into a mage; that way you can use spells like Mirror Image and Stoneskin to offset your inability to wear armor.

A stoneskinned, mirror imaged kenasi/mage can often kill a dragon before the dragon can destroy all of his mirror images.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads