Minnesota Gamers - Something You Should Be Aware Of - (LGS Rant)

frankthedm

First Post
JesterPoet said:
My wife and I both bought the game for each other. :)
Did you both buy it from the same store? If so, then that store no longer deserves to be in business. If they cite years of patronange in the email and still refuse to budge they have have just admitted how little you mean to them.

A shame you can't claim to your credit card company you were double charged on the item.

XO said:
They lost my business over a minor "Frequent purchase card" issue. They wanted ALL the stamps on the same dang card instead of stapling cards together, which given my infrequent but large purchases, was highly inconvenient, since I usually do not know in advance I will be stopping by.

This policy was adopted internally and applicable to anyone.

If I am "anyone", after yapping with the owners and purchasing (in my heydays) as much as $5K a year from having hair to going bald, they are just another store, so I went the Amazon route...
Excellent choice! Most stores HOPE thier customers lose thier frequent purchaser cards so they don't have to pay anything out and crap like that proves it.

Games plus near me has the decency to devote a small drawer of index cards to thier frequent purchasers. I wish they would not put a duration on the cards, but at least they have the card ready for you when you get there.

Last edited:

havoclad

Explorer
IMHO, any business that won't do a full return for sealed merchandise doesn't deserve my business.

One local game store adopted the same policy after a new owner took over. I haven't been back to Thor's Hammer since.

frankthedm

First Post
havoclad said:
IMHO, any business that won't do a full return for sealed merchandise doesn't deserve my business.
I can understand not doing that as a default since cash refunds are not always easy for a store to do and some do attempt to abuse the option. But refusal for frequent customers on honest mistakes is unforgivable.

sakkara

First Post
As a Minnesota gaming "old fart" (closing in on 30 years now), I've frequented many of the Twin Cities FLGS's listed earlier in the thread (The Source, Phoenix Games, Village Games + Dreamhaven in Dinkytown) over the years. I've also seen several die off over the years since I took up gaming almost 30 years ago (Phoenix Games II, the original Little Tin Soldier in St. Paul, whatever the gaming store in Dinkytown in the 80's/90's was named, etc.). Despite your issue with the recently policy change at the Source, I find the folks there top notch.

I do sympathize with you about the return policy -- moreso, the fact that it's changed abruptly & is not displayed prominently. We shop a lot at Target, and there was much groaning when they tightened their return policy abruptly a couple years back. My wife and her friends all grumbled and contemplated shopping elsewhere. Begrudingly they accepted the new policy, and we still shop there.

I returned books at the Source (for store credit mind you), without a receipt even, as recently as last summer. I think the policy tightening is probably a case of stopping the bleeding. As another poster indicated, their selection & open store layout makes them a target for shoplifters (& vulnerable to the lift/return scam).

The Source is a great store -- huge, HUGE selection and friendly, knowlegdable staff. Monte Cook even gave them a profiling on Malhavoc's site after spending D&D day there last year. It's too bad circumstances have forced them to change their return policy in such a manner as to leave a bad taste in your mouth.

It won't stop me from shopping there, but it will make me aware I'll need to take store credit should I have a return (which is ok with me).

-Sakkara

Remove ads