Minnesota Gamers - Something You Should Be Aware Of - (LGS Rant)

Charberus

First Post
I can understand why you would be mad about not getting cash from the company (because you were expecting it), but I do agree with Teneb that you are overblowing the situtation abit. Besides, I have found that some places give out more store credit then cash on returns.

delericho

Legend
Madness.

I can understand them being wary, but where the product is unopened and a receipt is presented, and especially just after Christmas, failing to give a full refund (not just store credit) is both unacceptable customer service, and also really unwise. With online retailers slaughtering brick-and-mortar stores on price, the only possible way the FLGS can stay competitive is through excellent service... which they've just failed in.

Oh well. Good luck in finding a new favoured retailer.

JesterPoet

First Post
Also, one of the main reasons I'm posting this thread is that this is probably MN's biggest game store, and this policy is NOT clearly posted. Whether people continue to shop there or not (I'd suggest not... buy online), I want them to be aware of this.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Charberus said:
I can understand why you would be mad about not getting cash from the company (because you were expecting it), but I do agree with Teneb that you are overblowing the situtation abit. Besides, I have found that some places give out more store credit then cash on returns.

A handful of the few small independent businesses in the town near where I live still give you back money when you make a return. (Note this isn't a big place, there are maybe two-three thousand people in it and maybe ten times that in the county, I'm in the country.) But to get most things I have to drive about an hour to the nearest major city, and when I do none of the businesses in that city seem to give anything but store credit.

And that is what I have an issue with, that it seems so universal and it is not equitable. Especially if I return something as is with nothing changed. When I bought their product I took a resource and exchanged my own with an equal value (the money), fair exchange. But if I return the product unaltered and unused I've just handed the resource back to them, equitably they must return an equal value to me for the transaction. Instead they keep the money and force me to either buy MORE from them or to write it off as a loss, which is patently expliotative.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Wow. I'm surprised that's even legal. It certainly isn't where I live. Here the law requires that companies provide a full refund for (almost) any goods that are returned within seven days of the date of purchase.

sjmiller

Explorer
I originally wasn't going to say anything, but I have to at least say this. I have worked in many retail jobs in the past, and dealt with book and game returns in one of them. Returned items purchased by credit card are never given a cash refund. If the item was purchased with cash (and sometimes with check) then it is more likely that a cash refund is possible, but not assured. Credit purchase/cash refund scams were going on back in the 90s when I was working retail. You buy something with a stolen credit card and then you or someone else goes back and get cash for it. This problem cost a lot of businesses a great deal of money, so that form of return ended years ago in just about every business I deal with.

The return policy of The Source is perfectly reasonable, and well within Minnesota state law. When purchasing a gift it is always best to make sure you understand a stores return policy before making the purchase, especially if you are unsure if the gift is appropriate.

Heck, even Target has a pretty strict return policy these days. Without a receipt, or after a certain time period, returns are not possible. Even within the time period (at least the last time I had to return something) I was offered Target credit as opposed to cash.

The Source doesn't have a bad return policy. As a consumer you should be aware of any store policy before making a purchase. Failing to do so before a purchase is not the fault of the store.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
According to this link, the practice you describe seems to be illegal in Minnesota:

If you have purchased a product from a retailer in Minnesota, the law requires the store to accept its return, with proof of purchase, within a reasonable time after purchase. The store must give a cash or credit card refund to the purchaser upon request, or shortly thereafter issue a check to the purchaser for the purchase price. A retailer can be excused from this mandatory return requirement only if the retailer has posted a conspicuous written notice detailing a different return policy.

Pbartender

First Post
sjmiller said:
Heck, even Target has a pretty strict return policy these days. Without a receipt, or after a certain time period, returns are not possible. Even within the time period (at least the last time I had to return something) I was offered Target credit as opposed to cash.

Yep... My wife works there. Target's return policy in a nutshell:

Target.com said:
Target Stores Return Policy

We will issue a full refund for most items returned within 90 days in new condition, with the original receipt or packing slip, packaging and accessories.

Also, please note:

* Music, movies, video games, software and collectibles must be returned unopened.
* Camcorders, digital cameras, portable DVD players and portable electronics are subject to a 15% restocking fee.
* Holiday and Seasonal merchandise on clearance at the time of the return will be refunded at the current clearance price.
* Any purchase made by check may be refunded as a merchandise voucher.
* Refund value for each item returned will be reduced to reflect value of free gift or discount.
* Other restrictions may apply.

All other returns or exchanges - including those without a receipt - will be offered manufacturers' warranty and repair assistance at 1-800-303-0308.

Don't have your receipt?

In most instances, Target stores can verify purchases made within the last 90 days on a store account, third-party charge account, check or GiftCard using our unique Receipt Look-up system.

Walmart is less picky, but there is a time limit and you need a receipt to recieve a refund.

Dykstrav

Adventurer
I agree with you that not being able to get a refund sucks. But caveat emptor and all that.

I actually do most of my shopping for game books through Amazon these days. It started with price, but I stay with them because of their excellent service. I always go for free shipping and my books are still here within a week. They've actually messed up my orders twice (by sending me two copies of one book and missing another book that I had ordered). Both times they sent me the right book that I'd ordered for free and told me to keep the extras they had sent by mistake.

Go with Amazon or another online retailer for books. The only thing I really go to local game stores for are Reaper miniatures and Games Workshop painting supplies. There's nothing morally wrong about buying products from cheaper outlets, I don't feel obligated to support retailers that charge more for the product. By the same token, this is one of the reasons I still go to mom-and-pop cafes instead of Starbucks. The product is usually better and far cheaper.

JesterPoet

First Post
sjmiller said:
I originally wasn't going to say anything, but I have to at least say this. I have worked in many retail jobs in the past, and dealt with book and game returns in one of them. Returned items purchased by credit card are never given a cash refund. If the item was purchased with cash (and sometimes with check) then it is more likely that a cash refund is possible, but not assured. Credit purchase/cash refund scams were going on back in the 90s when I was working retail. You buy something with a stolen credit card and then you or someone else goes back and get cash for it. This problem cost a lot of businesses a great deal of money, so that form of return ended years ago in just about every business I deal with.

The return policy of The Source is perfectly reasonable, and well within Minnesota state law. When purchasing a gift it is always best to make sure you understand a stores return policy before making the purchase, especially if you are unsure if the gift is appropriate.

The Source doesn't have a bad return policy. As a consumer you should be aware of any store policy before making a purchase. Failing to do so before a purchase is not the fault of the store.

I didn't want cash. I wanted a refund put back on the card.

Remove ads