• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mirror Image and Combat Reflexes

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Nail said:
@Hyper: FWIW, I can't find such a phrase in the 3.5e PHB.

Any idea where such a phrase might appear? You're thinking Chapter 10: Magic, correct?

(EDIT: 'Cause that's where I looked.)

In the Magic Overview, under the definition of 'Target'.

-Hyp.

dnabre

First Post
I'm not sure where the idea that you can't target a figment with Magic Missile is coming from.

Magic Missile can target any creature you can pick out (and I think target one at each of 5 indistinguishable duplicates is picking them out enough). A creature is defined as:

A living or otherwise active being, not an object.

As the figments from mirror image move, react, and have a Dex bonus to their AC (which implies they must be moving in reaction to attack in my mind), they are certainly active. So there are creatures. (Otherwise, Magic Missile would be a good illusion detector :)).

Last edited:

dnabre said:
As the figments from mirror image move, react, and have a Dex bonus to their AC (which implies they must be moving in reaction to attack in my mind) they are certainly active. So there are creatures.

Acting, not active.

A boulder rolls down a hill. It's "active" in the same way that the mirror images are "active" - is the boulder a creature?

Remember that objects get a Dexterity modifier to AC, too.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
dnabre said:
As the figments from mirror image move, react, and have a Dex bonus to their AC (which implies they must be moving in reaction to attack in my mind), they are certainly active.

They're not beings.

Is my reflection in a mirror a creature?

-Hyp.

dnabre

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Acting, not active.
My bad, corrected.

Patryn of Elvenshae said:
A boulder rolls down a hill. It's "active" in the same way that the mirror images are "active" - is the boulder a creature?

Remember that objects get a Dexterity modifier to AC, too.

Moving is distinct from being active. A boulder rolling down a hill is moving, it's not active, quite thoroughly passive.

There's big different between having Dex 0 and Dex <character dex>.

dnabre

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
They're not beings.

Being is an extremely vague term, and moving, reactive humanoid forms certainly falls within it. I'll dig out my dictionary if you wish.

Hypersmurf said:

-Hyp.
A imagine of person is some form of being. By the D&D definition, I'd consider it a creature. Especially considering, in D&D the reflection in the mirror might jump out of the mirror and try to kill you any moment.

jgsugden

Legend
Hypersmurf said:

-Hyp.
Yes. Yes it is Hyper. And it is plotting against you, just like the image in my mirror is plotting against me. Always spying on me. Always. It hinks I don't see it in the monitor, in the glass, in the pool ... but I sees it. Yes I do. And I know. And I'm making plans to stops it, I am. Yesssssss ....

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
dnabre said:
A imagine of person is some form of being. By the D&D definition, I'd consider it a creature.

Wisdom: Any creature that can perceive its environment in any fashion has at least 1 point of Wisdom. Anything with no Wisdom score is an object, not a creature. Anything without a Wisdom score also has no Charisma score.

Charisma: Any creature capable of telling the difference between itself and things that are not itself has at least 1 point of Charisma. Anything with no Charisma score is an object, not a creature. Anything without a Charisma score also has no Wisdom score.

What is the Wisdom score of my reflection? What is its Charisma?

Same questions for the figments.

-Hyp.

anon

First Post
Viewed from above a 5ft square appears as a surface area of 25 sq ft.
An average person might be 2ft x 1.5ft, or 3 sq ft.
Up to 7 Mirror Images could appear in the same square before any overlap had to occur.

It always seemed, to me, that placing the images in different squares created problems.

Remove ads