• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Misery in Mordent

Jarval

Explorer
"Oh, I wouldn't worry." Horatio flaps his hands in amused exasperation at Aesa's apology. "Osric will get over his embarrassment soon enough, and I like a good joke as much as the next man. Besides, it's probably better that none of us walk around alone until we've got a better idea of the lay of the land. Baldor may yet be glad of my brother's company."

Turning a little more serious, he sits and continues talking. "I wouldn't call you backwards. Everyone gets tired of their own environment from time to time. Gods' know, I've had my fill of the petty intrigues of the nobility before today.

"And Osric isn't really offended, he's just had little experience of dealing with women. Given that he spends most of his time in the temple or training with Kord's other warriors, he's had little chance.

"Now, onto other matters. Tell me more of Ansalon. You say the cold lands lie to the south on your world? How strange, that is the exact opposite of my own."
He eyes Drevan's armour curiously. "I would guess you're a member of an order similar to my brother's, am I correct? Holy Knight is a fine calling.

Last edited:

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Sir Drevan Whiteshield: (Male/Human/Fighter 4/Knight of the Crown 4) and Cohort

Drevan hesitates unsure where to start when describing a world but soon comes up with something, “Ansaslon is a world with few counties and lots of hard ache… We also seem to be on the verge of the next big war and the powers of good do not always succeed. The gods have abounded it people in an act that nearly destroyed all when a simple man tried to proclaim himself an equal to my god… My order failed all of Ansalon that day. Countless generations passed before the Gods did return and when they did man and women rode dragons into battles that made the very sky burn in fires…” Drevan hardly seems like the man that started the conversation pulling a drink that had been setting to the side and throwing it down in a single movement. “Excuse me, but I think I’m going to go to bed now.” With no other notice he stands and walks from the room to the bedrooms calling over his shoulder, “Don’t stay up to late, we do have work to do tomorrow and we should get an early start.”

Aesa looks at Horatio with a slightly uncomfortable look upon her face, “Looks like I’ll spend most of my time tonight apologizing…” She tries to say it with some humor but the smile upon her face looks forced, “He’s not the same man he use to be. He still is suffering from the loss of his wife and child. He was before that time quite witty and humorous. Now he’s dark, oppressive, and humorless with few bright moments.” She sighs and then tries to change the subject with a small smile, “Horatio, please tell me about your world?”

Last edited:

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Ivar

The stairs creak, and the half-orc - still dressed in his armor - begins walking down them. "Can't sleep," he says, smiling, walking up to the bar and asking for some more drink. "Maybe need more ale first." He looks over towards Horatio and Aesa's table and places his hand on an empty chair. "May I?" he asks.

Last edited:

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Sir Drevan Whiteshield: (Male/Human/Fighter 4/Knight of the Crown 4) and Cohort

Aesa still feeling slightly uncomfortable over Drevan’s abrupt departure smiles at the large humanoid and motions to the chair, “Please, your from the same world as Horatio correct?

Last edited:

Mithreander

Explorer
Baldor, hearing the door open up and Osric run after him, he pauses and smiles at his new companion. "Gald I am to have the company, as I'm sure our friend is!" He calps a friendly smack on the mans back and continues to catch up to the drunkard. "From the little we've heard, it's best not to let this lad travel alone, and now with you here, I won;t have to either on the way back. You have me thanks, lad!"

Jarval

Explorer
"To be honest, I've seen little outside of the City. That said, the City is such a place that a man could live ten lifetimes and not walk every one of it's streets. Some of a more poetic bent call it 'The Gem of the Flanaess', and I would agree with them. Which isn't to say the City doesn't have an unpleasant side." Horatio starts to answer Aesa's question. He nods a greeting to Ivar as he takes a seat at the table.

"Perhaps Ivar can shed more light on what Oerth is like outside of the walls of Greyhawk. How about it, my friend? I'm sure you've seen more of our world than I."

"Aye, well, I needed some air. The tavern was getting a little warm." Osric smiles back at Baldor. He walks in silence beside the dwarf for a few moments, before raising the matter of concern to him and all his companions.

"So, what do you make of all this? It's odd enough that any of us should have arrived here individually, but I find it strange that the seven of us, pulled from many different worlds, should all appear here at the same time. I think the being in the dark coach plans us ill."

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Ivar nods in answer to Aesa's question, and then in answer to Horatio says, "Not seen much outside of city either. Born there, live there. Been to desert south of the city once. And seen parts of city I'm sure Horatio hasn't." He says this last with a sheepish grin.

Snipehunt

First Post
And Now for Something Completely Different . . .

Conversations slowly dwindle as the night goes on. Blue-eye eventually pulls up a crude cot and sets down right behind the bar. The party takes the subtle hint that the bar is closed, and settles for the night. The rest of the night passes uneventfully, even Ivar eventually falling asleep.

Early the next morning, as the party wakes and begins to put on armor and places sharp pointy things at various places on their bodies, they hear a startling screech, and the shouting of deep male voices. The Sheriff's deep baritone can be heard barking instructions, although no one can quite make out what is being said. Several sharp noises, sounding like small claps of thunder, erupt from outside the inn. A strange hissing noise is heard.

Listen checks for everyone, and actions, please. :)

Jarval

Explorer
Horatio's Listen check: 14
Osric's Listen check: 15

"Who else thinks that sounds like trouble?" Osric mutters gloomily, moving towards the window to look out.

"It does sound rather like those thunder-staffs the guards carry, doesn't it?" Horatio settles his mithril shirt little more comfortably, and the armor shimmers for a moment, before apparently turning into a silk shirt. He ties his cloak firmly, then joins his brother at the window.

Remove ads