D&D 5E Misty Step and Arcane Tricksters

intently

Explorer
I don't know why, but I love Misty Step. I've got this idea to make an Eladrin Arcane Trickster who uses Misty Step constantly.

But, question: Is Misty Step even that useful for a rogue who can disengage as a bonus action? Is my love for Misty Step clouding my judgement?

Shawn Ballard

First Post
It is a good idea, the Nightcrawler style teleporting rogue is something that seems it would be quite fun. You would be excellent at causing a diversion and then misty stepping out of there.

intently

Explorer
I have theorycrafted some rogue/warlock builds to get two more Misty Steps per short rest, but the trade-offs are pretty big. Three levels of warlock are required, which sacrifices a lot of sneak attack damage. You could just switch to Eldritch Blast for damage, but that's not really the character concept. An Arcane Trickster/Warlock gets a ton of low-level spells though, especially when you include invocations.

Drago

Explorer
Hello, I am running this exact build in Adventurers League and am doing very well. Level 6 AT and Level 2 Bladesinger for an 8th level total.
Very versatile and decent damage with the weapon cantrips.

intently

Explorer
Hello, I am running this exact build in Adventurers League and am doing very well. Level 6 AT and Level 2 Bladesinger for an 8th level total.
Very versatile and decent damage with the weapon cantrips.

What do the Bladesinger levels contribute? Are they worth the loss of 1d6 sneak attack?

I want a character that OOZES magic.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
What do the Bladesinger levels contribute? Are they worth the loss of 1d6 sneak attack?

I want a character that OOZES magic.

I'm not the original poster, but for most combats a day (2 per short rest), 2 levels of bladesinger grant a lot of AC, +10 move, a big boost to concentration (plus you're less likely to be hit), and two full caster levels so you have more/higher level slots. Oh, and extra cantrips, and extra 1st level spells known you can swap out daily, and ritual casting (out of your book, it doesn't even need to be a spell known). And even 1 slot level of Arcane Recovery.

Is your priority SA or OOZING magic? Because this slows the first (and delays some other rogue goodies) but piles it onto the second.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I don't know why, but I love Misty Step. I've got this idea to make an Eladrin Arcane Trickster who uses Misty Step constantly.

But, question: Is Misty Step even that useful for a rogue who can disengage as a bonus action? Is my love for Misty Step clouding my judgement?
I ran an AT/Ranger in part of PotA, and the AT half is full of fun possibilities.
You could take Misty Step when you level-up and play with it for a while. If it cramps your style too much, exchange it for some other spell at the next level-up.
IIRC (and I may not), you can Misty Step to anyplace you can see / have seen within straight-line range. This lets you 'bamf' through walls as long as you are retracing your steps.

I picked up Find Familiar for one level so I could have a 'pet' to go get in trouble on my behalf. When it gets caught I dismiss it, and call it back when the danger is over.
For in-game fluff: my character has a personal telthor of Rashemen that manifests only occasionally. If I was an Uthgardt barbarian, I would call it my spirit totem.

intently

Explorer
I think three levels of Blade Singer looks pretty awesome for my Arcane Trickster. Will be down (1.5)d6 for sneak attack, but Booming Blade and Familiar (for advantage) will make up the shortfall. (Vanilla Arcane Trickster could have those also, of course.) I even love the fluff of free proficiency in Performance!

Could get two more levels of Blade Singer later for ASI and level 3 spells (so tempting) or just stick with Arcane Trickster. Either way sounds super fun.

Drago

Explorer
Exactly what Blue said, I loose 1D6 sneak attack, but gain 1D8 Booming Blade attack in addition all those abilities and Spells/Rituals. Very Versatile.
A very important and life saving spell I keep at all times is Knock... Let me and my party out of Death Trap in the Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan. Trapped with sand filling the hallway quickly.

Remove ads