• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mixing NWoD and D&D = WoD&D?

DuncanOToole

First Post
It seems my friends is getting sick and tired of D&D in general, moving to the NWoD camp.
So know they plan to mix D&D and NWoD together, but is that even viable, can it be done in some way? :\
Mostly they've expressed that the skill point system in D&D is not up to par.
I don't know how this could be done. :\
Anyone ever had the guts to try?

Awakened

First Post
So...like dwarf women with black lipstick? Kuo-toa in fishnets?
I've never tried anything like this, but what things do your friends want to incorporate from WOD into D&D? The skill system would be easy enough to redo (although you'd have to reconfigure all d20 product stat blocks), but do they still want the pseudomedieval setting? What parts of D&D do they want to keep?

DuncanOToole

First Post
I think they're gonna to put some WoD rules concerning at least skills points into a D&D game, No idea how it would work.
Nothing to do with flavour, but mere rules.
But honestly I have no idea how to make the two game compatible, or at least it would need some great overhaul.
I do admit the name WoD&D is kinda spiffy ;)

JustKim

First Post
WoD has a low level cap, and D&D is superheroic in leaps and bounds from level 1. The two systems as they stand are pretty much not compatible at all, off the top of my head..
  • In D&D, it's accepted that you will get hit. That's why you have so many hit points. In WoD, you put a lot of effort into simply not getting hit because it's a big disadvantage.
  • D&D skills, spells, magic items, classes, and etcetera grant hundreds of little bonuses from +1 to x4. In WoD, a bonus of +1 (die) is usually too much and if you have access to 4 or 5 such bonuses, you are a god.
  • The level cap insures that PCs are still approachable in opposed tests, because every extra die gives your opponent something like a 35% better chance of beating you. At first glance it seems like the level cap goes up to 10, but you cannot get above 5 without GM intervention, even in Exalted. If DC 20 is a difficulty 8 check, you will need superhuman ability in both the skill and associated ability to succeed most of the time.. as opposed to D&D and taking 10 or 20.
Things are different if you're playing Exalted, but I'm guessing you're not.

librarius_arcana

First Post
Now see if this was OWoD I'd be all over this, but NWoD :\ , even though I have most of the core books I don't like the new system (more so for the combat)

DuncanOToole

First Post
librarius_arcana said:
Now see if this was OWoD I'd be all over this, but NWoD :\ , even though I have most of the core books I don't like the new system (more so for the combat)
Problem is... I don't like it either :(

Stormborn

Explorer
Have you considered Exalted (as previously mentioned), which amps the DnD power up to epic levels with your very first session, but flavor wise is closer to traditional Fantasy RPGS. While not nWoD it does use a modified Storyteller System that your friends might like.

Having said that, you could do a darker fantasy game with NWoD, Second Sight, and maybe Antagonist. It would be fairly low magic, high mortality, dangerously bleak setting - but a lot of people like that sort of thing. I think this has been discussed over on the White Wolf forums, have you checked into over there?

DuncanOToole

First Post
Stormborn said:
Have you considered Exalted (as previously mentioned), which amps the DnD power up to epic levels with your very first session, but flavor wise is closer to traditional Fantasy RPGS. While not nWoD it does use a modified Storyteller System that your friends might like.

Having said that, you could do a darker fantasy game with NWoD, Second Sight, and maybe Antagonist. It would be fairly low magic, high mortality, dangerously bleak setting - but a lot of people like that sort of thing. I think this has been discussed over on the White Wolf forums, have you checked into over there?
I'm not the DM; but I've been thinking of presenting Exalted to the guy's to see if they like it.

I'm more a sword and sorcery flavoured kind of guy.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The mechanics of the two systems is incredibly different. While I'm not one to say "can't be done", I am one to say, "I don't see how you'd gain enough to make it worth the effort.

If you want to play fantasy with WoD rules - try Exalted.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads